Marlin gets a new sight!

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Thought I'd dress up my good ol' Marlin 39A with a Skinner "black gold" rear sight. I may or may not have to install a taller front sight to accommodate the new rear sight. Range session tomorrow:

reDPnSSl.jpg

jF9sA18l.jpg

The little Marlin remains my favorite rifle. :grin:

Nice. That's a very good sight and it's robust design won't let you down.

JD338

That looks good Guy. I think they are one of the most practical as well as less cumbersome looking sights available. Dan.

Looks as if that is a good move. The sight certainly looks robust.

I’ve liked Skinner sights for the Marlins. Not only functional, but nice looking as well.

Hawk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1100 Remington Man":dixw4xx8 said:
That is much nicer looking than my Williams Peep Sight. Very nice Guy

Thanks, but believe me, there's a LOT to be said for the good ol' Williams sights.

Guy

That looks great Guy! Peep sights sure do make life a little easier with iron sights. Let us know how it works out.

I've always been amazed at what a good aperture sight can do with a decent sight radius. I've got a Colt AR15 with a 10.5" barrel that shoots 2" groups at 100yds and my A3O3 will do 1.5" when my eyes are up to it.

Got the little Marlin out to the range again this morning. Needed more elevation to be spot-on at 25 yards, which is what I wanted to do, as most of my shots at grouse or other small game is at pretty modest range.

The Skinner adjusts for elevation by turning the aperture, screwing it in or out of that brass base in the photo. I came up two turns and she was dead on with CCI LRHP ammo. Never did have to mess with the windage. It was perfect from the start. Very satisfying. I did quite a bit of offhand shooting with it today. I need more of that practice! :) Was doing pretty well after a few shots though.

I've decided to keep the factory Marlin front sight for now. A Patridge sight like Skinner offers would provide a better sight picture, but I'm kinda used to the factory bead sight.

My son was shooting his 9mm Ruger at 25 yards and did fairly well, but of course the little 22 Marlin rifle did far better. :)

We then went to 100, 200 and 300 yards with the hunting rifles. Today we had his 6mm Remington and my 7mm Remington Magnum. He outshot me at 200 yards no problem, the bum! :mrgreen:

Regards, Guy

Man, those are nice sights Guy. I’m very tempted to send off a 7600 to JES to get made in a 338-06 and throw Skinners on top for a nice walking deer rifle when I’m hunting public deer ground in the fall.

SJB358":26m2caow said:
Man, those are nice sights Guy. I’m very tempted to send off a 7600 to JES to get made in a 338-06 and throw Skinners on top for a nice walking deer rifle when I’m hunting public deer ground in the fall.

Oh - I like that thought! (y)

Guy

Back