new rifle 6.5 X 55

Very nice. I'd look toward European load data to get the most out of the 6.5x55. U.S. load data is incredibly conservative for this cartridge.

That rifle/cartridge combination will stand you in good stead for a wide variety of game. I have a Hawkeye with a 26 inch barrel. I need to carry it afield this fall.

You're gonna love that caliber. As Hodgeman alluded to, with some researched reloading it's capable of punching above it's "normal" weight class.

For deer, I've always used 120's, normally BTs, but Sierra would work fine too, I'm sure.

Ron

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

I had really good performance using the older Nosler Barnes manuals data with IMR 4350 with the respective 140 gr bullets. As noted above, the velocities may not be a fast as the European loads (e.g. 2660 vs 2780 fps), but the performance on game never seemed to indicate that it was lacking on deer, moose or elk. Accuracy was better than MOa for 5 shot groups in my older Rem 700 Classics.

The factory loads from Norma and the older Hornady Light Mangum European spec ammo would push those 140's to 2780 fps and flattened the trajectories out a bit. You could try the Re-26 or Hdy Superformance powders for extra velocities (sorry, haven't tried these yet myself, but plan to try Re-26 in my Sako).

I mostly used Norma brass with Federal 210 primers.

I have the African in 275 rigby (7x57). It’s prolly the best feeling Ruger I’ve ever handled. Only shot one deer with it, cause it stays in the safe lol. I’ll either hunt with it this fall, or will keep it put back for my daughter when she gets big enough. Would love to have one in 6.5x55 also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks guys, Going to try to get to the range this week. I have some partitions 125 & 140 and 500 or so 129 Hornady interbonds. I have about 80 rounds down the barrel and it cleans easier than any of my other rifles.

I agree best feeling Ruger stock and balances great.

Range results, load data from shooting times article.

Hornady 129 IB with R-16, ppu cases[once fired] and WLR primers.
1. 46gr 2892 fps 1 1/4"
2. 46.5gr 2896 fps 2"
3. 47gr 2924 fps 1/2"
4. 47.5gr 2959 fps 1 1/2"
5. 48gr 3007 fps 1"

Also shot 46 gr R-16 with 140 Rem CL 2781 fps 2 1/2" from clean barrel.

FPS from article was 3029 for the 129 IB at 48 Gr. and 46 gr for 2888 for 140 gr Nosler Partition.

I would be very happy with #3 if it repeats.

Will try some 125 and 140 Partitions Next.

If you can find some, you could also try the 130 and 140 gr AccuBonds. The AccuBond has proven to be the most consistent bullet I have tried in my rifles for accuracy and ease of finding good loads.
Understand that you would like to shoot the IB's as you have so many on hand. Your load #3 definitely would be the one to use, as you say, if it repeats. It should perform well on game. (Sorry, haven't tried them myself, as the AB's have worked so well, but is very similar)

Pages 264-265 in the Speer #15 load manual have hotter loads for rifles with strong actions. Might give you a good idea where to start.
Paul B.

I use RL26 and 140 Accubonds for nearly 2900 in my 6.5 Swede.

I would agree, if your #3 load repeats you don't have to keep monkeying around. The Interbond is a great bullet and having a pile of them these days is a blessing. Cool rifle, congrats!

I plan on trying R-26 with some 140 partitions. I am always working up new loads being retired I have plenty of time.

This might be sacrilege on this forum but 140gr Sierra Gameking SBTs are a lovely option for 6.5x55. As you say, #3 looks great!

#3 looks good and faster than what I've run my 6.5x55 Mod 70 Fwt. With 120gr bullets 45grs IMR4350 and 48grs RL19 gives good groups for me. Got some Stabal 6.5 loaded to try. I need to try RL16 in mine sometime. Dan.

The 6,5 Swede surely punches above it's weight-class. It was and still is used in Sweden for moose. Admittedly - European moose are way smaller and the cartridge was not used because it is the top moose load, but because the Swedish Army retired thousands of rifles and put them on civilian market for a good price.
The Mauser 96 had some issues with steel quality, thus the max pressure is rather low. With a modern rifle it should handle more pressure. But as always with handloading: start low and work up.
My ex-wife had a short Swede and it performed well with SST and GMX on our small roe deer. The GMX lacked speed to open up on foxes, though.
For larger game the Swede went for heavier bullets like Lapua Mega, but for deer-sized animals a good cup-and-core should do.
I went for the Creedmoor, but only because the rifle I wanted does not come in 6,5x55.

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 3a XL mit Tapatalk

I haven’t hunted much with the 6.5 x 55 but did take one deer with a 100 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip. Obviously not the bullet of first choice but it did fine on a little black tail buck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really nice rifle in a sweetheart of a round.
The 129 gr ABLR would rock in the Sweed.

JD338

Back