257 Weatherby

Slimfinn

Handloader
Nov 28, 2018
I have been kicking around a lot of different ideas, with my downtime at camp, and the latest is the 257wby. Not really sure why other then having a hotrod, and something different. I don't have any experience with any of the Weatherby's, any thoughts?

Because it is a badass deer antelope cartridge. 100 gr by or TTSX at 3600 fps. Flat as Kansas

Roy Weatherby's favorite cartridge... for good reason.

I had one in a Vanguard Deluxe, that thing shot like a laser beam.

I was kicking around the idea of the 6.5 RPM, but figured if I'm going to get a weatherby, it might as well be a classic, and that 6.5 might just end up being a 264win.

I use the 115gr Nosler Ballistic Tip in mine using factory (!) ammo.

Under a half inch at 200 yards, and neither the previous owner or myself have beat that with handloads. So, I buy the factory stuff and just smile at the performance.

The .257 Bee wants to be a .264 Win Mag when it grows up…..

There’s NOTHING the .257 Bee can do, that the .264 Winny doesn’t do better….. with better bullets…. better twist rates…. and better brass.

They work great at plopping bucks in their hoof prints. Little brother pounds deer with his and man, it works nice and shoots easy.

Pretty much whats already been said.

Bought a Wby Accuguard a couple years ago in .257. It absolutely loves the 100gr TTSX Wby factory load. Shoots little tiny groups and no recoil.

Absolutely plants deer.

FYI- Quite the flash when shooting a raccoon at 3am

"FYI- Quite the flash when shooting a raccoon at 3am"''

LOL! I'll bet.

Ya the 257 Wby is like a 25-06 only FASTER! :)

Guy

Guy Miner":1tdjhjuq said:

LOL! I'll bet.

Guy

Man, you aren’t kidding.

Guy Miner":2bqkqxd5 said:

LOL! I'll bet.

Guy
My 257 WBY on RL-33 couple years ago
62D11572-99ED-44ED-8A73-722D0E94DD52.jpeg

You have a .257 and a .264; how about a .277?
The 270 Wby was the first, and with the lighter weight bullets (100gr) actually produces more velocity than the 257.
And you can step up to heavier bullet weights (130-150 gr) should you decide to move up to larger game such as elk.
Had one and enjoyed it a lot.

Or, you could the other way (.244) and get the 240 Wby, and have another rifle on a standard action and bolt face. If I were to dip back into the Wby well, it will be the 240 as I do not have any 6mm rifles and have always been intrigued by it.
So many choices, so little time! LOL
Have fun with whatever you finally decide on getting!

Back