100 yards with the 308

Alderman

Handloader
Apr 5, 2014
Took three shots at 100 yards to get it hitting where I want.
First two shots after looked good but last shot went left a bit.
I think the scope is creeping a little in the rings but will shoot it some more to verify and will try to come up with a solution.
ba2e660aa44061a59fe4afdfb5132080.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last 308 I had liked 46grs of Varget with 168gr Sierra MKHPBT. Might try working up to that and see how it groups for you. Looks like your 308 will be a shooter. Hope you get the scope thing figured out and not causing problems. Dan.

What's a "308 Predator" - is it a bolt action rifle? I'd guess that it's a Ruger bolt action, but someone may have brought out a semi-auto 308 and called it the Predator for all I know.

If so, don't be afraid to bump up the charge weight. Hodgdon and Sierra have disagreed about this for a good 20 years or so. I use Hodgdon's load data and did well with the 308 in long-range competition.

Also - you are near one of the low "nodes" for accuracy. Your vertical is TIGHT!

I'd re-shoot before changing a thing. The horizontal spread is easily affected by trigger pull, slightly different positioning of the stock on your shoulder, etc...

How's the trigger on the rifle? Crisp & consistent?

For a cheap solution to stop scope movement, consider a piece of electrical tape inside at least the bottom of each scope ring. Maybe on the top as well. That has been enough to completely stop any scope movement for me on a couple of troublesome projects.

Looking pretty good though. I love how tight the vertical spread is.

Regards, Guy

I appreciate the advise. This rifle is just a version of the Ruger Hawkeye bolt action. The trigger is a two stage with a pretty long take up on the first stage.
I haven’t shot this gun in a while so good possibility is I’m my own worse enemy with the group size.
When putting the electrical tape in the rings does sticky side go toward the ring or toward the scope?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I put the sticky side toward the ring.

Have only done it a few times, but it's worked fine.

Guy

A 3/4 inch slice from an aluminum can could also work for you. Once confirmed a drop or two of super glue will hold it in place.

Back