45-70 Day

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Spent much of today hanging out with good friends, handloading for and shooting the 45-70 Marlin 1895. Neither of them had ever shot a 45-70 before, one had never shot a lever-action rifle before. They LOVED it.

I'm the "old dude" in my mid-60's, but I sure enjoy shooting this Marlin. So much doggone fun!

uPzyb8dl.jpg

The ammo I loaded for us was the 350 grain round nose soft point Hornady over a max charge of IMR 3031, as listed in Hornady's section for the 1895 Marlin. Recoil is noticeable, but tolerable. We only shot steel targets at modest range, but it was a hoot.

Regards, Guy

Guy Miner":3vjla3fp said:
Spent much of today hanging out with good friends, handloading for and shooting the 45-70 Marlin 1895. Neither of them had ever shot a 45-70 before, one had never shot a lever-action rifle before. They LOVED it.

I'm the "old dude" in my mid-60's, but I sure enjoy shooting this Marlin. So much doggone fun!

uPzyb8dl.jpg

The ammo I loaded for us was the 350 grain round nose soft point Hornady over a max charge of IMR 3031, as listed in Hornady's section for the 1895 Marlin. Recoil is noticeable, but tolerable. We only shot steel targets at modest range, but it was a hoot.

Regards, Guy
Now that's what I'm talking about right there Guy!!
Shooting upright, offhand, with a big bore lever gun is a lot of frickin' fun!!!
Everyone around gets to see its power, and feel the muzzle blast, and best of all, smell FREEDOM! I mean burnt powder!
Great job!
Keep up the good work of introducing shooters to the big time of lever action shooting!

Hawk

Sent from my REVVLRY+ using Tapatalk

Guy,

You should start your own YouTube channel.
You have a ton of knowledge that should be shared with the shooting community, and the world.
I, for one would watch it enthusiastically.

Hawk

HAWKEYESATX":j3khnnle said:
Guy,

You should start your own YouTube channel.
You have a ton of knowledge that should be shared with the shooting community, and the world.
I, for one would watch it enthusiastically.

Hawk

Thanks. I've found a home on Gavin Gear's "Ultimate Reloader" You Tube channel. He's got a gazillion subscribers, ten years of producing his work, and just a great setup. It's a good outlet for my writing and I enjoy doing the videos with him. Honestly, I can do more with him than on my own.

https://ultimatereloader.com/2021/07/22 ... kCkqFYu5hY

I think that we'll have a new 45-70 loading video and blog article out next week.

Regards, Guy

Looking forward to seeing more from you there.
Hope you get a few bucks out of it, too ;-)

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 3a XL mit Tapatalk

It's always a great day when you shoot a 45/70!
The 300 gr BST at 2100 fps is surprisingly accurate, even out to 300 yards. Plenty of power to take care of deer and black bear, and just a hoot to shoot.

JD338

The smile on your face tells the whole story! Anyway good to be out shooting with good company and sharing knowledge.

Bear season opens tomorrow. I think I'm going to try for a bear with the 45-70 Marlin. It will limit my effective range, but... I kinda want to take a bear with this rifle.

Our spot and stalk bear hunts often have shot opportunities in the 100 - 350 yard range. Sometimes I can get a closer shot, particularly if I use the predator call. No baiting allowed. No dogs either.

Guy

Back