25-06 AI

FOTIS

Range Officer
Staff member
Oct 30, 2004
Anyone running one?

What are your favorite loads? I recently had a Ruger #1 rebarreled with a 1:7.5 twist 26" Benchmark barrel.

Shot it yesterday with the 131 Ace bullets and the 128 hammers. 52 gr of 7828scc produced 3000 fps and flattened primers and some sticky ejection. Too fast of a powder I guess.

I had to start somewhere and now I know.

Going to start with 53 gr of RL33 this weekend and work up. Either bullet with decent pressure at 3000-3100 fps would make me happy.

Beautiful rifle Fotis. I would think Retumbo would be a good powder for the 25-06AI.

JD338

JD338":2u63bv8n said:
Beautiful rifle Fotis. I would think Retumbo would be a good powder for the 25-06AI.

JD338

That seems reasonable. Retumbo works real well in my standard 25-06 with 115 gr bullets.

Guy

I use 26 in mine with 100’s. I’d think anything from that on up should be a rocket ship.

The only thing that I can not believe is that 52 gr of 7828scc produced 3000 fps and flattened primers and some sticky ejection. 56 gr blew a primer at 3200 fps with the 131 ace!

How do normally fired cases look and how is the throat set up in the rifle?

Have you tried a normal load like Retumbo and a 115 BT as a baseline? Just to get an idea of where the gun sits with normal stuff.

FOTIS":3r2r8su1 said:
The only thing that I can not believe is that 52 gr of 7828scc produced 3000 fps and flattened primers and some sticky ejection. 56 gr blew a primer at 3200 fps with the 131 ace!

I think that if I'd had sticky ejection at 52 grains, I'd have probably never even approached 56 grains.

Ya, I like the idea of trying a more normal load in it first, if you haven't already. Some 115's or 120's with a sturdy 25-06 charge perhaps. See how that works out, then move higher, faster.

I know you like those rompin' stompin' loads from your rifles though, and they do shoot well for you. :)

Guy

56 was an extrapolation from quickload and some other sources. That was my starting load.

Something interesting here. Was this fire formed brass or were you in the process of fire forming? Not knowing your COAL if you were loading them to 3.3”-3.4” 52grs of SCC in fire formed brass would leave a lot of extra space in the case , possible S.E.E. Hope you get it figured out on that fine looking rifle.

Ok this gun is problematic period!!!! The dimensions of the chamber can not be correct. Case in point. 100 Ttsx Barnes,. 60 grains of H1000 coal at 3.250". Not a Max load but normal. Well flat as hell primer, failure to extract,. Used a cleaning rod, and only 3265 fps.

Well I know I can do this with a regular 25 06 and actually break 3300 ft per second but remember this is the 40° improved version of the 25-06 something is definitely wrong with this rifle

Then I tried the 131 grain blackjack with 62 Gr RL 33. This is a super slow powder. I got 2,950 ft per second flat primer no extraction again I have to use the cleaning rod

jimbires":2stjzmrb said:
tight neck chamber ? rough chamber ?

That's what I'm thinking but like I said even regular 25-06 loads are almost blowing primers

Going back to Orygunsmithing soon

Talked to Oregunsmithing and sent it in this morning. They related that the reamer has been used for several projects with no issues.
They said maybe the barrel may be out of specs. However, they did state that there is no way that a 25-06 AI should max out with 100 gr TTSX at 3100 fps......as if we did not know this.

Goodness.

I hope you find a resolution to this.

What about turning it into a .257 Weatherby? You'd know what you have then. (y)

Guy

I have all the bees in mk v's Guy.

I'd ask the smiths to do a chamber cast, take pictures and do the measurements (there's a time factor) and send that back to you while they figure it out. Did it check out to be the 1: 7.5 twist you ordered? Just curious.
EE2

I'd bet they will remedy it pretty quick. I can't imagine it'll be real tough to sort it out. Sounds like a tight bore, neck, extra..

Cases look normal when they come out of the chamber?

Get a pack of .25 cal lead slugs for a air rifle and slug the barrel to see if the bore is under size.

Back