The Boring 30-06

Dang you and the 06!

I’m telling ya, the old horse made me really smile with the 212 ELD at 2700. That thing is nearly .700 and is amazing in my rifle. I know I like it enough now it’s always in the running for hunting now. Speaking of, I need to pull it out and warm the barrel up a little. Been awhile.

Last time I shot it, it was at an elk up there

It worked like a champ

Yup, you've got a great load with that heavy ELD moving out so fast and accurately. (y)

Hey Guy!

I couldn’t help to notice, you said that the Ballistic Tips used to open extremely quick at one time.
You’re very right! They used to, because the jackets were thinner than they are now. The cross sectional cut outs I’ve seen are more like the AB’s now. They have more copper in the base, instead of lead.
I didn’t think the ‘06 was boring, at one time I just thought it was antiquated. It’s what my grandpa and my dad used. And I got caught up in the magnum craze.
After reading your adventures with your ‘06, you, and Scotty led me to re-evaluate the ‘06. Yes, it may be old, but as I’ve seen from reading on here, it is far from being in the grave!
I have my Remington M700 BDL in .30-06, and when all of funny bug COVID stuff is done, I’m doing some serious load experiments for my rifle. I’m starting with 4350, using 180 gr bullets, and see where that leads me. Hopefully, it’ll be “boringly”, accurate, and I won’t have to do any more other than go out and hunt with it!
Thank you Guy, and Scotty, for opening my eyes to a perfectly good cartridge that I can use for everything here in the States.

Hawk

Excellent!

H4350 and the 180 grain Nosler Partition proved to be a great combo in my rifle as well. I got up just over 2800 fps and good accuracy too. I was considering the 180 gr Nosler Partitions for the grizzly hunt, and they would have been just fine. Instead I opted for the 200 grain Nosler Partition, also with H4350.

Wonderful old cartridge! I still remember Dad telling me, when I was a kid, that the 30-06 was all I'd ever need for big game in North America. He was right. But don't tell my wife that! Then I wouldn't have been able to learn about all those other great cartridges!

Regards, Guy

Col. Townsend Whelen once said, "The 30-06 is never a mistake." It was true back then, true today and true for the foreseeable future. (y) Boring? Never happen.
Paul B.

You all know how I feel. If boring is synonymous with best ever, absolutely the .30-06 is that!

Best
Overall
Rifle
Extant

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boring enough I now own 5. Although 1 of them a 03 Springfield will likely be turned into a 35 Whelen if I ever get around to it.

I worked with a buddies 300 WM quite a bit this summer. Powders that don't go far before you run out, expensive bullets to handle the targeted velocity on big game, and a muzzle brake on it to tame it down that makes enough blast I'm pretty sure registers on the Richter scale. After all that the formula it likes best is a 165 TSX running 2960-3000. So essentially he's taking a very loud 30-06 out west. I could've saved him a lot of money and time and just borrowed him one of mine. :shock: :lol:

To each his own, but I've worked with a bunch of other peoples magnums. Pretty much the gamete of them all the way up to 300 RUM and 338 Lapua's. Many of them also very accurate along with impressive velocities. Still have no desire to own one.

I ended up getting rid of my Mark X 30/06 while getting my model 70 416 Rem. I regret it very much. It was a pristine rifle that shot amazing with H4350 and 180 BT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I’d been wanting to look at this for some time and got to read it today. Good write up of a good cartridge.
Picked up 30.06 #3 last year. A pre 64 Model 70 that I hope to harvest my elk with this year.

Edit. Finally got the video to load. Looks like a good year of hunting for sure. Honest, real world results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back