25/06 standard or Ackly?

Thebear_78

Handloader
Sep 30, 2004
I just made a trade on a NULA 24b in 6.5 Swede. My plan is to turn it into a 25/06 or 25/06 AI. Currently leaning toward standard 25/06.

My current plan is to send it out to long rifles inc. and have them rebarrel it with a 1-8 24” barrel.

The only real question is to fog standard or ackly. I know those big squared shoulders certainly look good but not sure if the slight increase in capacity is worth the price of custom dies.

I know a few of you are using the 25 ackly, Worth the expense and added work of fireforming?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’d not mess with the Improved version myself Bear. Not saying it wouldn’t be great but the plain old 25-06 is really good as it is.

25 06 is the only rifle that I hunt with anymore. I load 120 grain partitions, and it just plain works. No more magnums, as my back can't take the recoil anymore. Elk and moose don't know the difference. Deer is bang flop.

Thebear_78":2i62vuoi said:
I just made a trade on a NULA 24b in 6.5 Swede. My plan is to turn it into a 25/06 or 25/06 AI. Currently leaning toward standard 25/06.

My current plan is to send it out to long rifles inc. and have them rebarrel it with a 1-8 24” barrel.

The only real question is to fog standard or ackly. I know those big squared shoulders certainly look good but not sure if the slight increase in capacity is worth the price of custom dies.

I know a few of you are using the 25 ackly, Worth the expense and added work of fireforming?

Thanks

Just out of curiosity is there something wrong with the 6.5x55 barrel? If not you can drive the Nosler 125gr PT or 120 BT pretty fast and not much difference in 25-06. Just a thought. Dan.

I already have several 6.5s in the gunsafe. The Swede is a great old round but I have several hundred .257 projectiles at the moment and need something to shoot them in.

I think a nice light 25/06 twisted to handle some of the heavier mono metal bullets would be a great mountain rifle.

Buddy of mine built a 25 Creed with a pretty fast twist barrel. It's amazingly accurate.

He looked at me like I was nuts when I started talking about a fast twist 25-06 or 257 Weatherby... :mrgreen:

I had thought about a 25 creed or even a 25/308 wildcat but with having the long action might as well go 25/06.

Of those two I would go Standard 25-06, but since you asked I would pick neither and go 6.5-284Win in a long action if it was Me. Always wished Remington Sendero II Model 700 came in 6.5-284Win with a 1-8 twist barrel.

Bear, you've already heard it several times, but my first thought when reading your second sentence was leave it standard 25-06.

Seems to me I remember reading that even Ackley himself concluded there wasn't much advantage to the AI in 25-06. Some really benefit from it, that wasn't 1 of them. The little 250 Savage gets a big boost changing it to AI, and the 280 Rem isn't bad either.

Looks like the consensus agreed with my gut instinct. 25/06 it shall become. I’m picking it up in the morning.

Sounds as if that is a good choice. I do like the standard cartridge that Remington produced.

DrMike":37zk69pk said:
Sounds as if that is a good choice. I do like the standard cartridge that Remington produced.

Man…. Giving Remington credit for the 25-06…….

Can’t quite do it :lol:

Well, Big Green did standardize the cartridge. Yeah, it's tough to do this, but honesty compels me to say some difficult things. :roll:

Here she is….
c3a1cdf4186b177d26b9b9137294df72.jpg

Nula 24b in 6.5x55 with 20” barrel and brake. It is damn light!

Thebear_78":2783ue66 said:
I already have several 6.5s in the gunsafe. The Swede is a great old round but I have several hundred .257 projectiles at the moment and need something to shoot them in.

I think a nice light 25/06 twisted to handle some of the heavier mono metal bullets would be a great mountain rifle.

Since you have 6.5's and lots of .257 bullets don't blame you for wanting a 25-06. Used one or another model 25-06 for a few years. Good round. Thought hard of getting back into them just hasn't come around yet. You will like it. Dan.

That rifle cries out for a 24" tube with the 25-06! I wonder what they were thinking with a 20" 6.5x55?

I came very close to picking up the Barrett version in 25-06 a couple of years ago...I passed and I'm still kicking myself!

Back