maple stocked rifles

adm1977

Beginner
Feb 16, 2013
Looking for some input. I am looking at maybe purchasing a maple stocked rifle. Any pro or cons? I only own walnut or laminate woods stocked guns and thinking of changing it up next time. Any real world advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Maple stocked rifles can be quite handsome. Maple is a hardwood, and so the stocks hold up as well as walnut. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase a rifle stocked in maple if the price was right.

Maple is more stable than walnut. I personally don’t like the look of it for a stock but it’s only personal preference. It’s better wood.

They can be beautiful!

Had a little CZ bolt action 204 Ruger with a light colored maple stock years ago. Didn't keep it very long, but it sure was pretty. I've been surprised to see how many maple stocked rifles are being offered by major rifle manufacturers in recent years. Seem to recall both Browning and Winchester with maple stock options.

I've considered buying another rifle with a maple stock, just 'cause they're pretty! :)

Regards, Guy

Some day.... I will have one. Couple years ago Cabela's had a Winchester Mod 70 in 264 on the new rack. Called my name from across the store like...well...this is a family show, but I believe lust is not to strong a word. They can be beautiful. If the project gun wasnt an accu-stock it would have one. CL

I kind of have a love/hate relationship to the looks. I think the next stock I do will be maple. It is more expensive as a higher grade must be used than with walnut to get a handsome stock.

As for shooting charachteristics, I've heard mixed reviews. Some love them, some have had issues. Most maple stocks are made from western quilted maple, not Eastern sugar maple. The woods have different properties. Western maple is slightly more porous and soft compared to sugar maple, but still harder than walnut in terms of resisting scratches and abrasion. It's my understanding that bedding is paramount, and they may not be the best choice for hunting in wet conditions as POI tends to shift more than with walnut. Both maple species tend to be springy vs walnut.

Don't have any modern center fire rifles but do have 3 full stock muzzleloaders stocked in maple and love them. I just wished maple stocks on these current rifles were stained darker but that's just my take on it.

cloverleaf said:
Some day.... I will have one. Couple years ago Cabela's had a Winchester Mod 70 in 264 on the new rack. Called my name from across the store like...well...this is a family show, but I believe lust is not to strong a word. They can be beautiful. If the project gun wasnt an accu-stock it would have one. CL[/quote

Saw one of these in person today. This one in 6.5 Creed that had way more figure than the one in the photo.
https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/winches ... fire-rifle

A guy we hunted with back in the day had a beauty with a bird's eye maple stock. Not something you see every day, and it was stunning.

Back