Weatherby 257 Mag Vanguard ?

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Brand new, priced at a mere $669 at a local shop. Synthetic stock, gray finish on the receiver & barrel. Looks like a 26" barrel to me.

Kinda thinking about getting it "for my son." Kinda.

Whatcha think?

I've already got dies, brass, bullets, because I own an older 257 Wby Mag on a Mauser action - but despite a lot of work on it... It's just not that great of a rifle.

Thanks, Guy

Should be a good performer!

Howa was making Vanguards for weatherby at one time.

Price is good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This one is marked "Howa" on the receiver along with the Weatherby markings.

Seems like a good rifle. Hmmm. Maybe I'll give it to me and my kid can inherit it... :wink:

Sounds like a good rifle at a decent price point Guy.
The 257 Wby is a flat liner and those 115 gr. Blue Cyclones are a great bullet for deer and antelope. Good reasons to try it before you pass it down to your son.

JD338

Sounds like a good rifle to me. It's not my money so I'm gonna say buy it and let us know how fun it is. (y) :grin:

Timnney trigger , glass bed the stock , pretty cheap hunting rifle . Especially by today’s standards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Howa has a good reputation and this caliber is flat shooting. Go for it. Let your son borrow it sometimes, lol. Dan.

Between my son and me , we have 12 Howa/Vandguards. These are very fine rifles. By your description it is a Weatherguard. We each have a 257 WBY in the Vanguard. Given the current climate the price is not all that bad , I’d say go for it.

Think of it as a "hot rod" 25-06.... "blue hurricanes" instead of cyclones... But then we are all a bunch or enablers when it comes to helping others buy new rifles. :) CL

I had one of the Vanguard Deluxes in .257WBY. Very nice rifle that shot lights out. Ended up selling it to a buddy who's tipped over quite a few caribou with it.

Howa makes as good of a rifle as anyone- clean machine work and a solid design.

I'd tag in...

A fine cartridge in what many consider to be an excellent firing system. The price sure seems right. I'm sure many of us will be interested to see what comes of this speculation.

I have an older version with the 24" barrel that I put in a different stock. It shoots in the 3/4" range with every bullet I have tried. 100 gr. TTSX or E-Tips go 3500 fps. Just a great shooter.

I’m gonna be honest Guy, I’m a huge fan of that howa 1500 platform lol. I would not hesitate on a vanguard if I found one. The 257 bee would be awesome too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I think the 25-06 you have will do anything you need done Guy. Like you I have looked a Weatherby Rifle also because my Brothers both the Vanguard and Mark V are nice rifles.
I have never pulled the trigger mostly because of working full time I just don’t have the time to play with a new rifle.
I will admit I wish I would of bought a Vanguard RC model in .223 Rem. when they were making them.

I would love to find a howa/vanguard in 338 win mag and have it rebored to the 9.3 Alaskan

1100 Remington Man":2j6w5usx said:
I think the 25-06 you have will do anything you need done Guy. Like you I have looked a Weatherby Rifle also because my Brothers both the Vanguard and Mark V are nice rifles.
I have never pulled the trigger mostly because of working full time I just don’t have the time to play with a new rifle.
I will admit I wish I would of bought a Vanguard RC model in .223 Rem. when they were making them.

I'm still very happy with my 25-06, was kinda thinking Christmas present for my youngest son with that 257 Weatherby... We will see... :)

Guy

Guy Miner":1ny8gwmu said:
1100 Remington Man":1ny8gwmu said:

I'm still very happy with my 25-06, was kinda thinking Christmas present for my youngest son with that 257 Weatherby... We will see... :)

Guy
That would be an awesome Christmas present!

Guy, my other 25-06 (own a CDL like yours) is a Vanguard S2. I have been super happy with it, the stock does not feel cheap, the trigger is very nice and the action is by far and away the nicest of the "budget" rifles as people say. It shoots very well, 115grn NBT, 75grn Vmax, 100grn SGK all shoot sub MOA. However, the 80 and 100grn TTSX along with the 75grn Vmax shoot lights out. I got a Savage Axis in 223 that I was planning on giving to my son this year for his 11th birthday but the action just kinda left a little to be desired for a gun he will hopefully have forever. I put the Vanguard S2 in the back of safe and plan on gifting it to him when he is around 14 or so instead (he can already shoot the 75grn Vmax's out of it). They are awesome rifles IMO.

Back