Sauer 100 Black in 9.3x62 Mauser

HAWKEYESATX

Handloader
Aug 15, 2016
Hello everyone!

I just ordered my first ever Sauer 100 Black, but I have a nagging suspicion that it is actually the Sauer 100 Classic XT in 9.3x62 Mauser.
She has a 22 inch barrel, with a 1 in 14 inch twist.
I ordered a one piece steel base that has partial picatinny rails on it to mount a scope I already have rings for.
I was wondering if any of you have a similar rifle? If so, what can you tell me of its nuances?
What kind of accuracy can I expect?
Anyone have their favorite loads for the 9.3x62?

Hawk
78161e5cd226695ecd17575e657eedb7.jpg

I have the 100XT in 9.3x62. Great trigger and excellent accuracy. It’s light so the modern loads get a little snappy sometime, but it sure shoots great. This is the factory Norma eco strike. Lemme dig through my folder and find some 285 gr targets
3cc6944c42b11b77768ba4eecf1921ba.jpeg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Cleveland48":10bdr3yx said:
And here are some loads with 285 gr PPU soft points.
5a60ebf49bff2395ab5f1f1f50458cce.jpg

12e04d94d150fe8ada2e9e336ccdc6de.jpg

aa7cc053ff47d83d0fbaf07bbbeb72c2.jpg

5b556d01a14fa8fc54deecc37f24b4a6.jpg

eba8b797a253ed4b63dbb735fdd02aed.jpg

7f5b05daf8107b008ebc01565f1625cb.jpg

Holy Crap!!

Now that’s some excellent accuracy there!!

Have you noticed that the rifle tends to like higher velocity loads than the lower velocity loads?

So Speer 270 gr Hot Core shoot well also?

Hawk

I’ve yet to try any of the speeds in mine. They only factory load I shot was with the norma, and it was moving pretty quick for factory 9.3x62 loads. I have not tried any of the heavy’s at lower velocity yet.

Cleveland48":g8lnz9y4 said:
I’ve yet to try any of the speeds in mine. They only factory load I shot was with the norma, and it was moving pretty quick for factory 9.3x62 loads. I have not tried any of the heavy’s at lower velocity yet.

Norma factory ammo is usually pretty hot stuff. They like to make sure their ammo is trying to go to factory speeds, and the European SAAMI equivalent is usually stouter than ours.
All of your loads show that you, and your rifle are extremely accurate.
One of the gun writers said that the 9.3x62 is like the bigger version of our .308, and I agree.

Hawk

It is a wonderful old cartridge. Probably my favorite cartridge to load for.

Cleveland48":1dwksj82 said:
It is a wonderful old cartridge. Probably my favorite cartridge to load for.

It’s too bad we haven’t heard of this cartridge until the past few years.
I’m sure it’ll be one of my favorites as well.

Hawk

I have the sauer, then I have a 98 mauser set up with XS ghost ring for heavy timber in this caliber, and I’m very fond of them.

What I like about the caliber, the bullets have a high ballistic coefficient compared to other medium bores, along with higher sectional density, so the bullets dig deep, and that’s a huge plus for the bigger critters, especially those that bite, if I do want to go on a Grizz hunt at some point in the future.
The cartridge can be used on everything in North America, wild hogs, all the way up to polar bear, if need be.
It’s not flashy, fast, or charismatic, but it performs extremely well, and it’s old!
What’s not to like?!?

Hawk

Cleveland48":177pe6ee said:
I have the sauer, then I have a 98 mauser set up with XS ghost ring for heavy timber in this caliber, and I’m very fond of them.

You have 2 great rifles there!!!
I do love a good Mauser 98 myself!

Hawk

UPDATE:

Got my Sauer 100 Black in, and it’s a BEAST!!
I, think, the reason they called it BLACK, is because exactly that’s what everything on it is.
Where the safety markings are, just black, but it has the indentations to let you know where the safety lever engages, etc…
The detachable box magazine, doesn’t have Sauer emblazoned across it. There’s indications as to it being a Sauer 100 Classic XT. It’s all flat black, except for the bolt body.
She’s a definite piece of artwork, no doubt! The polymer stock doesn’t feel like the ones that are on the budget rifles here. She’s got ridgidity to it! The comb is nice and high, and will be easy to get an excellent cheek weld while using a scope.
All in all, it’s well worth the money to get one!

Hawk
4635f7bace3889c6087c4394bd669af3.jpg

b50bcf206a623a40ecf883f55a2f695e.jpg

afd700e65df2746631497b2e455f66df.jpg

dc19af7999c49e9507197f7b32a95f53.jpg

The stocks really are great. It’s the best polymer stock I’ve ever had on a factory rifle. Neat how the safety markings are blacked out. Other than that it does look exactly like my 100XT. Can’t wait for a range report!

Funny thing - over here in Germany, most hunters use US-calibers.
Reloading isn't that wide spread and factory ammo for most cartridges are cheaper when US made.
308 rules top, 30-06 still going strong.
Silencers are legal everywhere now and with our shorter distances, shorter barrels with silencers, many choose 308.
Happy to see that it works the other way round, too!
And there are some great European calibers, 9,3x62 being one of them...

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 3a XL mit Tapatalk

Cleveland48":nt568y03 said:
The stocks really are great. It’s the best polymer stock I’ve ever had on a factory rifle. Neat how the safety markings are blacked out. Other than that it does look exactly like my 100XT. Can’t wait for a range report!

I have to agree with you about the polymer stocks! I wish every synthetic stock manufacturer would copy the Sauer 100’s stock.
That’s what a stock should be.
I was wondering if that was the only difference compared to your 100 XT? Now I know.

I’m really chomping at the bit to go and do some shooting now!!

Hawk

noslerpartition":c2jsd23y said:
Funny thing - over here in Germany, most hunters use US-calibers.
Reloading isn't that wide spread and factory ammo for most cartridges are cheaper when US made.
308 rules top, 30-06 still going strong.
Silencers are legal everywhere now and with our shorter distances, shorter barrels with silencers, many choose 308.
Happy to see that it works the other way round, too!
And there are some great European calibers, 9,3x62 being one of them...

I wish more manufacturers would include the European calibers here.
I really do like them a lot, especially the 9,3x62! It has all of what I want in a caliber, high ballistic coefficient bullets, high sectional density bullets, and can be used for anything here in North America, plus most species world wide. Plus, the hunting distances in which I hunt, it can handle. Anywhere from 50m up to 400m, it can do be relied upon to kill cleanly, with one shot.

Hawk

If I had to choose just one cartridge for the rest of my life, it would probably be a 8x68.
Never owned one, but loaded for two and shot them.
Hard to find one for lefties. Maybe one day I will have one built for me...

noslerpartition":g9smvl60 said:
If I had to choose just one cartridge for the rest of my life, it would probably be a 8x68.

I’ve heard that’s a really good round too!

Hawk

HAWKEYESATX":2unsoz40 said:
noslerpartition":2unsoz40 said:

Hawk

An excellent cartridge. It is a ballistic twin to the 325 WSM, so you could get the same thing in an American round.

DrMike":3qjk0gr0 said:
HAWKEYESATX":3qjk0gr0 said:
noslerpartition":3qjk0gr0 said:

Hawk

An excellent cartridge. It is a ballistic twin to the 325 WSM, so you could get the same thing in an American round.
This is very true DrMike!

Hawk

Back