Borescoped new rifle - Concerned?

CoronaCA

Beginner
Oct 18, 2017
Got a Savage 110 from my son to dial in some loads for him. Here are some pics of the barrel. What do all think. It has only been a shot a few times.

Nick

Attachments

• Savage 1.jpg
    Savage 1.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 363
  • Savage 2.jpg
    Savage 2.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 363
Looks exactly like tool marks from production ... a proper break in should smooth them out but not completely like you'd expect from a custom barrel. I would not be concerned about them.

You can also check this link:
https://www.rifleshootermag.com/editori ... rrel/83604

On the 2nd pic as you click shows the exact tool marks as your pic.

Hope this helps ...

Nothing that I see there is out of the ordinary on a production model rifle. The tool marks are what I'd expect.

DrMike":21vaz42t said:
Nothing that I see there is out of the ordinary on a production model rifle. The tool marks are what I'd expect.

Yep. What he said. Not out of the ordinary in a production barrel, and not what I'd call rough. In the grand scheme of things the concentricity of the bore without any tight spots, and straightness are WAY more important.

You could have a tack driver that just requires normal routine cleaning, and without that bore scope you'd never know the difference.

All my savages started like that and shot great. My model 70’s as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man I can’t imagine how much crazier I would make myself if I had a bore scope. RESIST!!!![emoji1]

gbflyer":lszi259w said:
Man I can’t imagine how much crazier I would make myself if I had a bore scope. RESIST!!!![emoji1]

YUP- that! I'd be a nervous wreck if I had a bore scope!. One needs to remember that barrels are a replaceable commodity. Unfortunately, my bank account does not replace itself.... :lol: CL

I’m already obsessive compulsive. Keep me far away from any bore scope. They were made to induce psychiatric breakdowns in people like me.

Vince

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you all for your feedback. The rifles I scope I have had for years and this is the first "new" one in sometime.

You too can become Manic and OCD at the same time, spend hours cleaning barrels, be obsessive about copper and maybe even make the list of best customers for Sweets and Montana - all for only $70! Yes, borescoping changes things. I was surprised how well I don't clean barrels, how copper fouling can impact accuracy and how in some rifles a little copper in the barrels helps. But, I now know I need three new barrels on 3 guns. (2 99s and one 70). I only do it when the groups seem to get outside the expectation/history of the rifle. If I did it every time, all my rifles would be smoothbores!

Thanks again all!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081T1DN1P/ref=emc_b_5_i

I borescope every 200-300 rounds and clean regularly. I can keep my rifle consistently clean, but I can’t keep it consistently dirty. I don’t wait for groups to open up before I clean the bore. To me it’s easier to keep bore conditions consistent in a clean bore than a dirty bore. I usually clean every 40-50 rounds, or there about.

As for the bore on your sons rifle………….it’s pretty good for a factory barrel. You don’t have any worries there, and it’s nice and clean.

Back