New to me - 1983 Rem 700 Mountain in 280 Rem

orchemo

Handloader
Dec 13, 2006
Found this in a Hole in the Wall gun shop. Belonged to a buddy of the owner who passed away.

Remington 700 BDL Mountain in 280 Rem. The Mountain has the slimmer stock and barrel. Produced in 1982

Clean rifle, good deal and happy new owner.

Put a Leupold 2.5-8 on top. Sigh in some 150 gr PT and will take anything in the lower 48

Attachments

• ACBD335C-0198-4206-86B7-FA4202371952.jpeg
    ACBD335C-0198-4206-86B7-FA4202371952.jpeg
    376.7 KB · Views: 518
That was an excellent purchase. The Mountain rifle chambered in 280 is just about right for hunting most anything in NA. Classic scope on the rifle, as well. Congratulations.

Nice! Looks in really good shape and in a good cartridge as well. Should make you a dandy rifle. Congrats.

Congratulations on a sweet find!
That rig is perfect for most anything in NA.

JD338

Nice! Whatt perfect "classic" set up. All you need is a tag....for anything you want. CL

That IS cool. I remember seeing one in 30-06 when they first came out. Wispy thin barrel and light as a feather for that era.

Cool! A buddy of mine has one in 270 Winchester, and it's topped with a 2.5-8x Leupold that I sold him years ago. Very nice combo.

Congrats on a great find.

Guy

Very nice. Had my eye on a 700 Mountain in 7X57 not too long ago. Went for a bit more than I wanted to spend though.

She's a beaut and a great caliber to boot. I'm sure you'll enjoy her.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Great looking set up. The 280 is one of my favorite rounds.
Looks like it already got a place of honor at the new home getting three spots on the couch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Walked into the shop and asked to look it over. Mentioned that I liked the 280. They guy said "you must be from up in north?". Eventually southern Oregon coast people don't like the 280. Was glad to relocate it to 280 caliber friendly area.

Yep - mounted a 2.5-8 and she is might fine.

One just never knows what and when you find something.

Sounds a lot like how I found mine.
Walked in and asked what they could order me in 280. He said they had a nice used one on the shelf.
Ruger Hawkeye All Weather.
I liked the rifle so well I purchased another in 243.
At work a week or so later and talking with a coworker about guns and found out the 289 had belonged to his brother. Had only been fired a few times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice find. Sometimes we just stumble onto great finds. Departed friend used the same rifle-scope combo but in 7x57. It was one of his favorites. Dan.

I have my father's 700 Mountain rifle, which is also in .280 Rem. It shoots very good groups with 140s over 55.5 grains of IMR-4350 and that is the load he hunted with. I have some Speer 145 grain in stock and think I will give them a try.

Back