REMINGTON 17 CAL CENTERFIRE MODEL 700

Dave R&R

Beginner
Jan 5, 2005
HI!
NEED SOME HELP PLEASE!!!
LOOKING AT (2) TWO RIFLES CHAMBERED FOR THE LITTLE 17 CAL.
700 LVSS LIGHT VARMIT 22" FLUTED STAINLESS

700 VARMINT SYNTHETIC 26" HEAVY BARREL

I WANT TO GET INTO SHOOTING THIS CAL. FOR BENCH 100 YDS.
AND SOME EXTENDED LONG RANGE TARGET SHOOTING THAT ARE
PRACTICAL FOR THIS CARTRIDGE. PLUS SOME COYOTES
ALL AMMO WILL BE HANDLOADS. ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

THANKS!!

Both rifles will do you just fine... I think the accuracy will be very close b/n the two. You will undoubtedly see your biggest differecne in the weight b/n the two. Decide what you plan to do the most of and then choose the rifle that best fills your niche.

The LVSF models are really nice...

If u're trying to go long-range with it, i'd shoot the highest BC bullet that'll stabilize out of your particular barrel. Long-range coyotes are right at the edge of the little .17's ability to perform, so best to put as much weight + BC as u can out there. Try the 30 Berger's, maybe Chappie Gennett's might work (Genco Bullets), James Calhoon, or Hammett Bullets will be offering their 30 gr. bullet again (my favorite long-range coyote fur bullet years ago). Check www.saubier.com for all the info on 17's u'll ever need.

Take that long barrelled .17, use Berger 30s, be sure to try R-15 (also Varget) and try to push them at 4000'/sec. And SSCoyote should know better than limit the range on that devestating combo!!! (I'll hear from him now).

I'll have to admit that after taking somewhere around a thousand coyotes (spot and stalk method) with Mr. Berger's 30 grainers, I'm giving the 29 grain Gencos a try this season.

Just a side note: All of Hodgdon's powders that are extruded and have four digits (including Varget) in their labeling have a small football shaped decal on their cannisters that says "EXTREME". These are very temperature insensitive powders, great for the hunter that is out during, as a guess, 10 degrees and below. Also, the Reloder series indicates in the literature on their labels that they are also insensitive to temperature extremes.
Lightning Mike

I have a Remington 700BDL in .17 Remington. I like the rifle, but it's a finicky little beast. I've been knoiwn to shoot .3" groups (5 at 100yds) only to follow that with a 1.2" group. It definitely will shoot, whenever in heck it wants to. It's pretty bad on copper fouling also. It's great being able to see the bulleys strike home, but this rifle can drive you bananas. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Concerning the .17 and 29 grain Genco bullets: This is a year later after a season of killin' coyotes with the Genco bullets. Must say I was very happy with this high BC tiny bullet! Took 97 coyotes over the 2005-2006 season...80 with the .17 (spot and stalk method). Gannet (Genco) doesn't know his BC for that bullet. I figured I'd put .250 into a ballistics program. Have a dot in my scope for 400 yards even. Ranged this coyote when she was 394 out, but as I was getting set up I saw she ran out a few yards farther (maybe 10-15) so put the dot on the top of her back. Bullet hit her in the shoulder and she dropped with a momentary tail quiver and died. Then ranged her at 463 yards. Now know the BC for that 29 grainer is a bit higher than .250. Damn good bullet and a coyote killer. It will kill a lot more this season! Michael Johnson

How did you scope this gun?
Considering a .17 but am waiting to see about the new .17 Remington has in mind. Don't want to rush into the .17 Rem and see that the new one is better.

Back