So, upon whose action are the Nosler rifles built?

GeorgeS

Handloader
Sep 30, 2004
Is it push-feed, Mauser-style controlled-round feed, or a blend, like USRAC's CRPF?

George

Whose action? The photos on the website don't show any detail of the action.

George

The actions are Nosler's own. The receiver has the Leupold QR bases cast into the receiver.

NOSLER":1krazax5 said:
The actions are Nosler's own. The receiver has the Leupold QR bases cast into the receiver.

So the actions are investment cast, not forged?

And will they be available in left-hand?

George

I am interested in the details of the action such as: breeching, gas handling, bolt anti-bind features, etc.

I watched the development of the Montana Rifleman M99 actions from the position of having some on order while waiting, waiting, waiting... How long did it take to bring this design to fruition? I am like George -- what about a left-hand version?

thanks...jim dodd

I know this isn't the right answer, but no left handed versions of this one. Next years intro will have it. We got to the end of our design and producing the rifles and delivery would be interrupted by a lefty. BUT I will correct this for rifle #2

It took us a few years to get this in order. At SHOT show we met with some people and BOOM......A rifle was born.

Nosler,

Was that noise at SHOT "boom" or "kaboom"? ;)

I guess we are going to have to tease the tidbits out of you!

What was the strength of the action when you tested it to destruction? How does it handle gas release in the event of a case failure?

What level of field testing did you subject the rifle to?

I have been involved in the development of a new rifle using the M99 action since '01. All of my questions are generated by my recent experiences, and just perhaps the basic firearms curiosity of the gun culture. My rifle is called the "JimSquare" (for the high-level designer and the builder). Theay are also a single caliber, but .458 Lott. The RH rifle is just now going to Africa for independent field testing, and the LH rifle will be here Real Soon Now. You can see the design details of the action on the Montana Rifleman website.

So, what are your details?

jim

It has been on numerous hunts, including Africa, New Mexico, Wyoming.

Even crawled in the Kalahari desert with it :shock:

I will post all the details here shortly, I am trying to download a file with specs.

If my wife makes $20/hour for overtime, how many hours of overtime would she have to work to buy me one of those sweet new Nosler rifles for Christmas?

Paul Barnard":2ezzopgg said:
If my wife makes $20/hour for overtime, how many hours of overtime would she have to work to buy me one of those sweet new Nosler rifles for Christmas?

200. Tell her to get started. :twisted:

George

Our receiver is investment cast, then sent to a finishing facility to be polished and trued.

Sorry I missed that part of the question.

I want one but what's up with the scope? I actually went to the site to order one just now and was taken aback when I noticed the VX-3 replaced the LPS as stated in RIFLE. The LPS was definitely a big plus, I own plenty of Vari-X 'scopes and really don't need another one. I'd rather mount one of my Swarovski's or Zeiss' on it.

I'm bummed. :x

I was hoping it could be my primary hunting piece but I frankly don't need that glass. Ya, I know all about the matching numbers and the stadia lines in it but, you get the drift, no?

What serial number are you on now?

DB

Nosler,

Can you confirm that your actions as cast have to be trued?

Or perhaps there is a better word choice to describe what is going on?

jim

Yes because I have paid the bill :grin:

All our actions will be trued, and run thru an extensive quality check list.

Is the action similar to the action Bill Wiseman makes for his own rifles? I see you use Wiseman barrels.

What calibers will be offered in the future? And why did you choose to 300 WSM this year? Kind of strange (I initially wrote dumb)........ I guess because it's new and cool, huh?

The action is very unique, but then again, most actions have bits of others in them :grin:

The extractor resembles a Sako, the checkering is ours, etc.

Our choice of 300WSM is a new "classic" It sparked a resurgence in the reloading market as well as rifles, ammunition and all shooting related gear.

Back