Rate of Twist ?

edge

Beginner
Feb 19, 2005
I have a rifle with a 1:14 rate of twist.

Will a 30 Caliber 150 grain NAB stabilize with this twist.

I see a lot of copper so this must be fairly long, does anyone have the actual length of this bullet.

I expect to hunt medium sized Whitetails with a MV of 3000+, assuming that the NAB is too long to stabilize, does anyone have an alternate selection? 125 NBT ( too explosive?? ).

Thanks for the replies.

edge.

125NBT IS A VARMINT bullet. Although it may be suitable for use from a 30-30 hand gun. But in a 300WM?? Where do you people come up with these crazy bullet ideas???

280AI":s5csv6wn said:
125NBT IS A VARMINT bullet. Although it may be suitable for use from a 30-30 hand gun. But in a 300WM?? Where do you people come up with these crazy bullet ideas???

Thank you for your reply.

As far as I know, Nosler came up with these bullets!

The main question was for a 150 grain NAB. Is it your opinion that the NAB is a varmint bullet also?

Instead of asking if it will stabilize, since I am perfectly capable of calculating that, do you know the OAL of the 150 grain NAB?

thank you again,

edge.

The nominal length for the 150 AB is 1.210", Hope this helps.

NOSLER1":3lwr3kqp said:
The nominal length for the 150 AB is 1.210", Hope this helps.

Thank you, about 0.10 too long for good stability with a 1:14 twist.

thanks,

edge.

The NAB is an excellent choice for whitetails. I did the point blank, dead center of the shoulder with a mv of 3200+. Needless to say, I got an exit hole, not a terrible lot of meat damaged, and a very dead 6 point. If you are wanting to go light, i would suggest giving the Barnes 130XLC a look. Although I am a fan of the NAB, I am very much a Barnes X slut. And until someone builds a better mousetrap, I'll stay that way.

Back