Remington XCR ??

R Flowers

Handloader
Oct 23, 2004
Has anybody actually seen on of the new Remington Extreme Conditions Rifles as of yet?

I don't need one, but the rust and corrosion resistance is interesting. A guy always needs to try the latest thing, right????

I would just go ahead and order one but I am on the fence due to the overmolded stock made by Hogue. My friends have had mixed results with the Hogue products.

I like the overmolded gripping areas on the new Winchester stocks but I have not been able to find a new Remington to actually get my hands on it.

An interesting thing about the new XCR is that it is available in 270 WSM and 300 WSM.
It is NOT available in the 7 WSM or either of the Remington SAUM cartridges. I am not sure who makes marketing decisions for Remington but I think they have their head up their ass.

Don't get me wrong, I am a staunch Remington fan, but some of their decisions on chambering are just plain nuts. Just try to buy a new Remington chambered for 6mm Remington. There is ONE model available. The 7mm and 300 SAUM cartridges are available this year in only the Titanium model. Go figure.

Anyway, if anybody has actually seen the new Remington XCR I would be interested to hear what you think.

R F :?:

I contacted remington about this, and the xcr is available in the saum calibers. They did'nt advertise it on their web site. Also, they will probably be available in the sps and the cdl later in the year.

this year the xcr-rmef is comming in 7mm rem mag and it´s going to be availabe in sept. this is a reply from Remington.com

Thank you for visiting Remington Country! We certainly appreciate you taking the time to write in with your question. The XCR RMEF is scheduled for production this quarter and will be available in the 3rd quarter of this year.

I am a big fan of Remington, owning several M700 rifles BUT, when they say Q3, they are talking Sept/ Oct time frame. This is when a lot of folks would actually be hunting. Sounds like the marketing gurus have missed the window of opportunity AGAIN.

Its say to see such a great company be run into the ground by a bunch of morons!

The 338 RUM is a fantastic round but is only offered in the XCR. The Sendero has been discontinued. WHat will be next?

The M700 "Classic" offering for 2006 shoould be 30-06, 100 yrs old. Any gusses on what they will offer?

Sorry to vent guys.

Regards,

JD338

The XCR is a huge hit for Remington in its first year; hence, there's a big backlog of dealers / FFL's waiting for their orders to be built and shipped.

I have the 700 SPS Stainless with 24" barrel and Limbsaver Recoil Pad and it's a very nice rifle. XCR gets a better coating and the Hogue Overmolded Stock.

Breath
Relax
Aim
Sight
Squeeze

I just got mine and so far I like what I'm seeing!!!! Going to get the trigger done this week end... Once I get out and shoot it I'll post the results...

R Flowers":j4saspan said:
Has anybody actually seen on of the new Remington Extreme Conditions Rifles as of yet?

I don't need one, but the rust and corrosion resistance is interesting. A guy always needs to try the latest thing, right????

I would just go ahead and order one but I am on the fence due to the overmolded stock made by Hogue. My friends have had mixed results with the Hogue products.

R F :?:

I realize this is an old post and you have almost certainly bought one by now, but after 2 seasons with an XCR I can at least say the coating is as advertised. Doesn't scratch and still looks perfect. My rifle happens to be very accurate, too.

As far as the stock... eh. If my rifle didn't shoot so well, I'd change it to a laminate stock but I can't see any reason to mess with a sub-MOA factory rifle.

-jeff

Jeff, I did indeed purchase a Remington XCR and could not be more pleased with the rifle. I bought the limited edition Rocky Mountian Elk Foundation model chambered in 300 WSM.

The rifle really handles well and the Hogue stock feels good in all sorts of weather. The gun shoots under an inch and I really like it.

My only complaint is that occasionally the first round out of the magazine does not feed smoothly. Those short, fat, little shells do not feed as well as some others in Remington rifles. I own a Winchester Model 70 chambered in 270 WSM and it feeds quite smoothly.

All, in all though, I am quite happy with the gun. It fits me well and I have made some good running shots on wild hogs with it.

My sister-in-law's boyfriend and a nephew both bought the 700XCR in 338 RUM. Very nice looking rifles and both are shooting Remington 250 gr Swift factory loads around 1.25-1.5" at 100 yds.

JD338

R Flowers":3hsjp5qy said:
Jeff, I did indeed purchase a Remington XCR and could not be more pleased with the rifle. I bought the limited edition Rocky Mountian Elk Foundation model chambered in 300 WSM.

The rifle really handles well and the Hogue stock feels good in all sorts of weather. The gun shoots under an inch and I really like it.

My only complaint is that occasionally the first round out of the magazine does not feed smoothly. Those short, fat, little shells do not feed as well as some others in Remington rifles. I own a Winchester Model 70 chambered in 270 WSM and it feeds quite smoothly.

All, in all though, I am quite happy with the gun. It fits me well and I have made some good running shots on wild hogs with it.

I would imagine that those WSM rounds might feed funny in a M700- my Model 7 was a little balky with 7mm-08. You get a short case and a lot of shoulder and it can get a little wierd. Now that my M7 is a 358 it feeds fine. Tyhe only short mag I own is a .325 WSM in a lever-action Browning BLR and it feeds very easily but that's a whole different beastie.

My XCR is in 338 Win Mag; it's my elk rifle. It has indeed seen some extreme conditions and I agree the stock is easy to hang onto in bad weather- I do like that about it. I don't like the balance of the rifle with that stock; mine is front-heavy. And mine smelled like rubber at first from the pads, though it's better now. And that hollow buttstock is very noisy if you scratch it or rub it against things accidentally.

Hey, you know of anywhere to hunt hogs down there in Cali that is on public land, or else a guide that isn't too expensive? I keep trying to put together a hog expedition from up here in Oregon but it seems like the animals are mostly on private land that is more and more locked up. I wouldn't want to get down there and find I'd wasted my time and money.... this would in February or March.

-jeff

I have the XCR in 30.06, it will take the extreme weather and any condition for sure. It shoulders very well also. Mine has a very long throat to the rifling lans, haven't tried anything heavier than the Nosler 165gr. AB's and the Seirra 168gr SMK's.
They have to jump more than I like but it works. Looks to me the XCR's are more for the heavier 180gr, 200gr & 220gr bullets in 30.06 for Elk and like sized animals. Maybe it's just my rifle.
Light but nice, it's a keeper and shoots well with my reloads...

Jeff, I guess people just like different things. I really like the way the XCR handles. It feels very light and quick in my hands. It actually feels much lighter than it is to me.

In regard to the pigs, I guess you pretty much have it nailed down. Most all of the pig hunting is on private ground or with guides. I am lucky enough to have some private ground to hunt on and we shoot LOTS of pigs. The guides to the west of where I live are all getting around $500 each for a pig hunt these days. Even though I have good access to free places, I usually spring for a guided hunt every year or so.

I can recommend several good pig guides if you want. One guy I hunted with had 19 ranches leased and his clients kill around 400 hogs a year.

The last hog I shot with the XCR in 300WSM was just going over a hill at around 60-70 yards and all I had to shoot at was his rear end. I hit him in the ham with a 180 Sierra Pro Hunter and it darned near came out his chest. Almost complete penetration on a 200 pound boar at pretty close range, I was impressed. He sure did not go far!

R Flowers":1b37r2dn said:
Jeff, I guess people just like different things. I really like the way the XCR handles. It feels very light and quick in my hands. It actually feels much lighter than it is to me.

In regard to the pigs, I guess you pretty much have it nailed down. Most all of the pig hunting is on private ground or with guides. I am lucky enough to have some private ground to hunt on and we shoot LOTS of pigs. !

I don't hate the XCR stock, it's just not my favorite. I do like everything else about my XCR.

I may take you up on a couple numbers for guides. I'm not sure if I can afford a guided hunt this year- new career as a real estate agent and all. I guess if I get a couple transactions this winter then I can afford it... otherwise not <g>!

Sure sounds like fun. I wish we had something like that up here in Oregon- something large, tasty, and always in season.

-jeff

Jeff, I will list for you some of the best know pig guides near where I live.

Roger Miller is in Parkfield, CA. He has a big ranch and puts on a good hunt. He has a cabin you can rent if you want to stay on the property. His phone number is (805) 463-2475 at his home or (805) 463-2316 at his office.

Tom Willoughby lives in King City but hunts lots of ranches near Paso Robles and San Miguel. He and his son Blake put on an exciting hunt for sure. If you spot pigs way over on another part of the ranch and take of in the pickup to try to intercept them you had better hang on! Tom or Blake can gut or skin a hog faster than I can think about it.

Both of the above guides have a walk in cooler where you can keep your meat till you are ready to go home.

Another guy who I have not hunted with but gets very good reports is Kyler Hammon.
He is a frequent poster on the forum at Accuratereloading.com. Look in the pig hunting section and you can find him, I believe he lists his phone number. He is also out of Parkfield, CA and he posts some pictures of some damned big pigs his clients have shot.

As much as I hate CA for lots of other reasons, we are lucky to have the hogs to hunt.
We hunt them year round, there is no season and no limit.

R Flowers":224my43r said:
Jeff, I will list for you some of the best know pig guides near where I live.

As much as I hate CA for lots of other reasons, we are lucky to have the hogs to hunt.
We hunt them year round, there is no season and no limit.

Thanks!!!

Yeah, see up here in Oregon around February the weather has us pretty beat down. That's why no more of ya'll should want to move up here <g>! Terrible winters that'll grow moss on your hair. So anyway around that time of the year a Cali pig hunt starts to sound really, really good...

Maybe I'll call a couple of those guys and get an idea of the costs. It sure helps having someone vouch for them. thanks!

-jeff

Jeff, I was just over on the Accuratereloading forum and I was wrong about where Kyler Hammon lives. He is from Atascadero instead of Parkfield. No big deal, they are about 50 miles apart.

Kyler posts lots on that forum and in June he posted pictures of some GREAT hogs that his clients shot that week. The first one shown was shot by Aaron Nosler, Kyler says Aaron made a great shot. Kyler can be reached at www.boaring.com.

Darn, now you have me thinking of going pig hunting this weekend. I just got back from New Mexico where my buddies and I all got great mule deer. (We all used Nosler bullets)
But, I still feel the need to go shoot something. Maybe hogs, maybe coyotes, we will see.

R Flowers":1cgsf8xk said:
Jeff, I was just over on the Accuratereloading forum and I was wrong about where Kyler Hammon lives. He is from Atascadero instead of Parkfield. No big deal, they are about 50 miles apart.

Kyler posts lots on that forum and in June he posted pictures of some GREAT hogs that his clients shot that week. The first one shown was shot by Aaron Nosler, Kyler says Aaron made a great shot. Kyler can be reached at www.boaring.com.

Darn, now you have me thinking of going pig hunting this weekend. I just got back from New Mexico where my buddies and I all got great mule deer. (We all used Nosler bullets)
But, I still feel the need to go shoot something. Maybe hogs, maybe coyotes, we will see.

Now you are killing ME! I grew up in New Mexico. I haven't been back in almost 15 years. I'd love to go hunt some of my old stomping grounds up in the Pecos, or down midstate in the Gila NF... just haven't been able to put together an expedition. Is it hard to get good tags for NM?

-jeff

Back