replacement barrels.

steelwkr

Beginner
Jan 11, 2005
i have a winchester 70 in a 25-06. i have shot probally over 2,000 rounds out of this rifle, and the throat finally wore out. anybody have any suggestions on what kind of new barrel to buy. i have never had to replace a barrel before, so i want to buy one that is top of the line. any suggestions nosler?

I have only had experience with Hart SS barrels.IMO they are one of the best.Although,a barrel from any of the known makers(Hart,Shilling,Lilja,etc.)would work for me.A lot depends on your gunsmith and the installation.
Jim :lol:

I own replacement barrels from several makers and these days most are quite good.

For a 25-06 if I wanted a stainless barrel I would recommend either a Hart or Shilen, both are excellant.

However, when I rebuilt my own 25-06 a few years back I wanted to stick with a chrome moly barrel so I could have it blued. I wanted a hunting rifle and did not want a stainless barrel particularly. I purchased a chrome moly Lilja and have been VERY pleased. That darned thing just shoots better than I can. It is very accurate and very fast. So if you are looking to for a good hunting barrel rather than a benchrest or varmint type, I can HIGHLY recommend the Lilja. Besides, the price is a good deal lower than a first quality match grade stainless steel barrel. Seems I paid less than $200 for the chrome moly Lilja. The last Hart SS that I had contoured and fluted set me back around $400.

This is not to say Lilja does not make great match grade stainless barrels as well, but I am just saying I am more than pleased with my chrome moly version.

A very competent gunsmith that I know also highly recommends the chrome moly version made by Kreiger. He has produced some excellant rifles using those barrels.

Lots of choices these day, most of them good.

R F

I just took my M700 to the gunsmith today to have it rebarreled. I chose a Hart barrel #5 flutted 24" chambered for 280 Rem AI.

I should have back in about 8 weeks and will post load development and accuracy reports.

Regards,

JD338

Steelwkr,

My last three barrels have been Lothar Walthers, and all shoot well.

I also have a 6.5-'06 with a Shilen that is very accurate, and similar to your .25-'06. Also a .280 Rem with a Douglas air-gauged barrel that shoots.

I would say that the Krieger cut-rifled barrel is top of the line, but I believe the L-W will shoot almost as well for a lot fewer bucks and a shorter wait.

jim

opinions about re-barreling are as different as are the shooters. my preference over the last 30 years, whether muzzleloader or centerfire, has been DOUGLAS XX Air-Guaged. the last one i used was for a 250/3000 Ackley. i have never used anyone's stainless barrel, so i can't speak to that.

My gunsmith used to use only Douglas or SHilen until I turned him onto PacNor. I think they make a great bbl. for the money, I have 4 now. Apparently so does my smithy, he now uses PacNor unless a client has another preference.

I think any of the custom barrel makers can produce a barrel that will outshoot most of the owners. Look in the back of "Precision Shooting Magazine" and check the equipment the bench rest guys use to win the matches. At one time Hart use to rule. Now other makers are pushing them out. Use what your smith suggest to you. He will be the one who has to stand behind it should something not be correct.Rick.

Back