new Timney Trigger

redrider03

Beginner
Dec 7, 2007
I have a 700 BDL which is mostly used for hunting but I like to shoot groups with it too. I am looking at getting a replacement trigger instead of modifying the original trigger for safety reasons. What do you think of the Timney triggers? Also would I be better off getting one with the new safety design or one that uses the original safety? I am considering a 2 lb. weight.

I've done numerous Remington triggers now, and I can tell you that they are easy to work, easy to make safe, and make good triggers for hunting rifles when you're done. I can get a clean, crisp 3lbs out of all I've tried so far, and when it breaks as clean as mine do, you don't notice the 3lbs. My brother didn't believe it was that heavy until I let him use the trigger pull guage I have - it breaks that smooth and clean. For the price of a trigger pull guage (I like the RCBS ($25-30), but the digital Lyman ($45-55) is also great), you can learn to do your own, and never have to worry about it again.

redrider03,

+2 to what dubyam said. It is so true about the Remington 700 or Mod 7 trigger. What amazed me this time is that I did not have to touch my trigger at all on my Mod 7 this time. Love it, it breaks clean and allows for good groups.

give me 5 minutes with a remmy trigger and keep the dough for the timney!

pop wrote:
give me 5 minutes with a remmy trigger and keep the dough for the timney!
+1 more.
I thought I seen a link to info on adjusting a rem trigger somewhere on this forum a while back.
Try a search.

You can google "adjusting the remington 700 trigger" or "remington 700 trigger adjustment." I have several links on my other computer - I'll try to post those when I get time.

Ditto

I found the instructions on the web and they worked . I've done 8 Rem triggers and havn't found a reason for any concern. It sounds like you're conscientious so you won't have any problems.
Good Hunting
Elkhunt :grin:

I had my buddy's gunsmith do a trigger job on my Remington SPS Varmint with the new X Pro trigger. He has tuned up lots of the old style Remington 700's as well as a bunch of Model 70's with great results. He said the that new X Pro trigger was garbage and apologized for how crummy it still was even after he worked on it. He said he would be happy to replace it with a custom trigger and give me a break on the installation. Instead my dealer friend ordered me a Timney and another of our buddies installed it for me and it works great! Much better than the original. Of course, now I am spoiled by it, and the Rifle Basix on my Stevens 200 and the adjusted Model 70 don't seem nearly as nice as they used to be. And I won't even talk about the Howa. Hmmm, might need to check into Timneys for the Howa/Weatherby Vanguards....

I've been hearing how nice the X Mark trigger is. I have also seen where even though it is similar to the old trigger it CAN NOT be adjusted the same way. Doing so will ruin the trigger according to Rem. Anybody have any idea HOW to adjust one?

I don't think I'd trust a Remington 700 trigger set at two pounds. If you have the $$$, go with a Jewell.

Back