.257 Weatherby Magnum

G

I apologize if you have already seen this in the reloading forum, but I wanted to make sure I caught all interested parties.

I have a question concerning bullet selection in the .257 Weatherby Magnum.

Here are the facts: I have a load worked up using the 115 grain Ballistic Silvertip with a muzzle velocity of 3400 fps (chronographed). It shoots sub-m.o.a. all day long if I am on my game.

Here are the assumptions: I will likely hunt antelope and mule deer with my .257 WM. Don't believe in using it for elk as I think it to be too small and I already shoot a .300 Win Mag at them.

I have been juggling a lot of different bullets through my head that "would do the job better", but I have to answer the latest nagging question. That question is, for the game listed do I even need to worry about changing bullets. Is the bullet I am shooting constructed well enough that my thoughts on changing are a complete waste of time?

What have been your experiences with the 115 grain Ballistic Silvertip out of the .25 caliber rifles...especially high end velocity?

For antelope...probably not but do not be surprised if you get a close shot and you cut him in half! :oops:

300winnie, I am shooting the 110 AccuBond in mine and absolutely love it. Antelope and deer are bang flop. That's all there is to it. BTW, I too believe the .257 is probably a little "small" for elk, however, before I became adequately "gunned" I killed 7 with mine, all one shot kills using Partitions, and my daughter killed her first one with my .257 using Barnes. None of them moved! Hope this helps.

Jim

As long as your impact velocities will be below ca. 2800-2900 fps that bullet should be fine on the specified game. The BTips can be viscious if they impact too close to the muzzle. Today I usually use a 100TSX in my .257s for everything, but at long range the BTips have done well for me in the past.

To do it slightly better in a 257 Wby I would drop the bullet weight to 100 grain bullets. Balistic tips are very explosive at close range. I personally use 100 grain Partitions or TSX's. This will allow you to reach 3650 fps which will flatten your trajectory quite a bit. With the tougher bullets you don't have to worry if your shot presents itself inside of 300 yards. The Partitions kill quicker by means of more metal flying off the front of the bullet which causes much more tissue damage on the vitals. The Barnes have a high B.C. but they don't make near as big of wound channel. Both seem pretty easy on the meat where the B-tips can really make a mess of everything from time to time.

I think the 100 or 115 B-Tip may nearly cut a goat in half inside of 300 yards.

Many mule deer have fallen from my 25-06 and the 115g BT at 3300fps. I shoulder shoot my animals because I dont like tracking. I like to shoot and watch them drop like a rock. With the 115g BT, I got full penetration every mule deer, every shot, every time. True, most the deer were 250+. I only shot 1 buck that was 75 yards in the shoulder. Bullet entered and exited nicely. I have even killed 2 bears with this bullet at 400+. The reason I used this bullet was because it was the highest hunting BC bullet available. Barnes BC's are a lie, they are not close to what they are published to being. You find that out when you shoot longer distances then normal. I think the bottom line is that if you put that 115g BT in the chest, it will go down very very quickly.

remingtonman_25_06":1oxyisdb said:
Many mule deer have fallen from my 25-06 and the 115g BT at 3300fps.

Are you serious? That is 257 Mag velocity!!!! :shock:

Rem Man,

3300 fps is smokin'. I am pushing close to 2900 fps in my 257 Roberts with the 115 gr BT.

JD338

JD338":a22vdkf9 said:
Rem Man,

3300 fps is smokin'. I am pushing close to 2900 fps in my 257 Roberts with the 115 gr BT.

JD338

Something is gonna give :shock:

just looking at quickload and you need almost 80,000 psi to get 3300 fps out of 115 gr. BT in a 25-06. Just make sure your not shooting next to an innocent bystander with that load

i agree it may be only 100 fps faster than tha manual but the lowest pressure powder i could find to give 3300 fps was biggame and with 3.5 grains less it would put you at max load +/- a couple of percent and 3196 fps but those extra 3.5 grs. put you at 74,000 psi. for 100 fps second i still don't think you should be shooting them around other people. absolute let go pressure and repeated overload load let go pressure are 2 different things. fatigue cracking and brittle fracture will end up hurting someone either way.

remingtonman_25_06":22fyre5s said:
ITs 100fps faster then book. ITs also over book 3.5g. It is on the warm side though. Still is ok in my rifle.

The Nosler RG#5 shows top velocity for 115 gr bullets at 3116 fps, Barnes 3043 fps, and Hornady at 3100 fps.
You might want to throttle back on the 25-06.
Be careful Dude.

JD338

Back