Some muzzle brakes I made up

True but it's on a .243 win Remington Varmint barrel I rechamber to .243 Ackley and they kick about like a .22 Hornet with a brake. I always wear ear plugs shooting plus there is nothing like spotting your own shots at long range. They make cool things like this to shut the high db noise down automajically too. :mrgreen:

http://www.walkersgameear.com/wkrs_prod ... ar_03.html

Yeah, the noise is what I don't like about brakes. That being said, when I get around to building a .338 Edge, I suppose it's gonna have one...

BK":2vr3rozi said:
Yeah, the noise is what I don't like about brakes. That being said, when I get around to building a .338 Edge, I suppose it's gonna have one...
YEP!

IdahoCTD":2vr3rozi said:
Here you go Jake.

This is a 1" brake on a .830" diameter Remington Varmint/Sendero contour barrel and the 5 port brakes that just got done.

How long is the 4 port that you have on your 243 AI? It tooks good!

Nathen,

Those brakes look nice.
Are you going to offer any slim line style brakes that match the barrel contour?
I am getting a Williams brake on my 338 RUM and it will match the barrel contour. It looks very similar to your ported brake but has several more but smaller holes in the top and the shark gills on the side, nothing on the bottom. The expectation is 65% recoil reduction.

JD338

I've had a few people ask about it but my CNC guy is swamped right now and will probably be that way for a bit. If I did them I would do it out of .750 material. The ports would have to be undersized to allow for turning down. The problem with the smaller diameter brakes is they are less effective. The gases have less of a wall to push against because the ports are smaller.

Nathan,

That make perfect sense to me.
I am to a point with my 338 RUM that I am getting tired of getting kicked with 55 ft lbs of recoil. Even a modest reduction in recoil would be appreciated. Williams tells me that with an 800 yd bullet flight of just over 1.1 seconds, I may be able to spot my own hits. That would be cool and I would consider it a bonus if it worked out.

I may be interested in one of your brakes down the road. Right now all my rifles are cream puffs, at least when compared to the recoil of the 338 RUM. :grin:

BTW, nice web site you have.

JD338

Funny thing is you probably shoot the 338RUM the most? There is a need to tame those wicked beast rifles rifles it seems.

IdahoCTD":2v2cndi8 said:
Funny thing is you probably shoot the 338RUM the most? There is a need to tame those wicked beast rifles rifles it seems.

Nathan,

You are correct, I just love the rifle and cartridge. The 200-210 gr loads at 3200 fps are nothing but it starts go get interesting with the 250 gr loads at 3000 fps off the bench. In the field, you never notice the recoil.

The 280 AI pushes the 140 gr at 3200 fps and the 160 gr at 3000 fps. Recoil is nothing but a brake would bring it down to a love tap and I could see being able to spot your own hits at 800 yds+.

JD338

JD338":fafgmflf said:
IdahoCTD":fafgmflf said:

Nathan,

You are correct, I just love the rifle and cartridge. The 200-210 gr loads at 3200 fps are nothing but it starts go get interesting with the 250 gr loads at 3000 fps off the bench. In the field, you never notice the recoil.

The 280 AI pushes the 140 gr at 3200 fps and the 160 gr at 3000 fps. Recoil is nothing but a brake would bring it down to a love tap and I could see being able to spot your own hits at 800 yds+.

JD338

Nathan,

That's a nice site you got. Hopefully things take off for you.

Jim,

I agree my 280AI is an absolute joy to shoot without a brake. It's something you can shoot all day long and not worry about, even with 160's or 175's. I have yet to get a good weight on it but I'm thinking it comes in at about 11-11.5 with scope and ammo.

Just to update this a bit.....I did some .750" diameter brakes for the smaller caliber sporters. I would still do the .875" brakes for the bigger calibers though.

Good to know. I can hook you up with a guy that just opened up shop here in Cheyenne.

G'Day Fella's,

Long time no chat!
I forgot my User name etc.....

I'll try and post an image of the muzzle brake, I designed and machined up for my Rem 700 MLR .338 Lap Mag. You can just see it attached to the .338LM rifle, in the foreground!
This 4 port muzzle brake, basically neutralised recoil on this rifle! No easy task, when you are burning 98grs of ADI AR-2217 (H-1000) behind a 250 grn bullet at just over 3000fps!!!

Doh!
Homer

Attachments

• .338Lap Mag & 6.5x47Lapua.JPG
    .338Lap Mag & 6.5x47Lapua.JPG
    280.1 KB · Views: 11,377
G'Day again,

Here's an image of the 3 port brake for the .338LM and 2 of the old Remington factory brakes.
You can also see the muzzle of this .338LM barrel and the way I have re-crowned it, without shortening the thread.
Click on this image, for a larger view of this work!
I just parted off the factory brakes, then slowly removed metal off the outside of the barrel, without damaging the original factory muzzle thread (5/8"UNEF).
This 3 port brake isn't as effective as the 4 port brake on this particular chambered rifle (.338Lapua Mag) but should be fine on a .300 Win Mag and similar powder capacity cartridges!

Doh!
Homer

Attachments

• 036.JPG
    210.6 KB · Views: 11,381
Great looking brake. I have ownly owned one and I put it on a TC Contender barrel to hold the muzzel down when I would touch off the 7-30 waters cartridge it was chambered for it wasn't ported like yours but had round holes all the way around. The muzzel blast would ruin your nerves after about 10 rounds and cause me to flinch. I was wearing ear plugs and muffs but blast was still disturbing.
Is there any way to direct the noise away from the shooter?

G'Day Fella's,

Truck Driver, I'm currently working on a simple design to try and subdue the muzzle blast that the shooter hears!
Unfortunately, I'm also working on many other projects and 3 jobs at present, so I may get back to that M/brake project by Christmas?

Doh!
Homer

Thanks Homer I would be interested in one that I can hunt with and not have to wear hearing protection. I have a bad case of Tentinitist and constant ring in my ears from my military days in the 70s.
TD

Back