270gr JFN from .44 mag Carbine

Tnhunter

Beginner
Jul 4, 2012
These are a couple of Speer 270gr JFN Gold Dots (now called Deep Curl, I believe). Taken out of a very large boar (400+). Bullet #1 from against the vertebra, rt side of neck and #2 taken from the rt shoulder. Both found when the boar was caped. The shoulder shot/bullet never even bled as it did not quite penetrate to the shoulder bone, being stopped in the 2-3" shield. Fired from a Marlin 1894 44mag at a distance of 45 yards and I'd figure 1600-1650 FPS (est). It took three more shots to finally quiet the big boar, the last at 10' to the neck (2nd shot to neck). I'd say the bullets look great, but obviously not enough H.P. to penetrate deep enough on the boar's tough shield. I'd call them near perfect for deer, though. I shoot them from a .444 now....lol.

Attachments

• .44 bullets from boar.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 3,803
  • .44 bullets.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 3,803
Tnhunter

Welcome to the forum, glad you are here.
Those bullets look really good. They didn't penetraste as deep as I would have thought but a 2-3" shield is pretty tough.
Nice post, thanks for sharing.

JD338

Tnhunter - welcome - and great first post! Any photos of the boar?

About 25+ years ago my buddy with a .44 mag Super Blackhawk, one of the 10.5" barrels, learned something about hollow points and boar. We were handgun hunting - he was using handloaded 210 gr Sierra JHC's - and took a shot at a fair sized boar at maybe 25 or 30 yards as I recall. The bullet didn't penetrate the shield, and that boar just beat the snot out of a smaller pig near it, then resumed feeding... :shock:

To make a long story short - He shot it again, and a merry chase and more shooting followed. Finally killed it after it rushed us. Only one of his five hits made it into the boiler room. One of those hits was crummy and just ticked it off, but the rest should have brought the pig down, if they'd gone through.

I went back to the truck and got my rifle. Shot one later in the day with a .30 cal, 180 gr Nosler Partition. That worked just fine. :grin:

Again - welcome - and good photos. It's interesting to see bullets recovered from game. Most of my shots on game are pass-throughs. I must be shooting dinks or something... :grin:

Regards, Guy

Tnhunter,

Welcome aboard. Great post. The bullet performance was very good, but you are correct that a bit more horsepower would have helped. I agree, however, that it would work well for deer.

Hey buddy! It is about time you dropped over! Welcome aboard!

Great first post, I was hoping you would post them up over here. Scotty

Thanks to all for the warm welcome! Not sure just how much I'll be able to add, but will enjoy reading and learning, I'm sure. Someone asked for a picture of the hog, so here ya go.
Thanks, Ed

Attachments

• Monster_Boar_003.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 3,786
WOW! Now that is a hog.. Whats your address? Might need to swing by to find his brother!

SJB358":2yltox2z said:
WOW! Now that is a hog.. Whats your address? Might need to swing by to find his brother!

On the same hunt, my Buddy killed a sow of ~ 300 pounds. And on last year's trip another Buddy killed this one. All free-ranging Georgia swamp hogs. Maybe you'd like to join us on a hunt Scotty!

Attachments

• securedownload.jpeg
    112.9 KB · Views: 3,777
Tnhunter":1zywvdtr said:
SJB358":1zywvdtr said:

On the same hunt, my Buddy killed a sow of ~ 300 pounds. And on last year's trip another Buddy killed this one. All free-ranging Georgia swamp hogs. Maybe you'd like to join us on a hunt Scotty!

Heck YEAH I do! I would love to hunt hogs! I haven't ever shot one and I would love the chance to hunt hogs like that. I think my son would lose his mind hunting big ol tuskers like that. Great pictures!

I would bring that BLR down there Scotty. Swamp hog hunting just screams for a light, short, quick-handling rifle and the 358Win.

Nice hogs there TnH and good lesson learned for me.

Years ago I was working out of Redding California, and got the chance to go shoot a few pigs, with a local shooter. We set buy this water hole and waited. I was shooting my .270 Winchester, in a Featherweight. I was shooting 150 PT. and had trouble getting all the way through them. We shot quit a few of them in a couple days.

In the past I've had to dispatch all kinds of animals, with a .44 magnum. But I have always shot real hard cast bullets, at them.

Man, those are some hogs!

Scotty, can you say 45-70? :mrgreen:

JD338

JD338":1ld11837 said:

JD338

I would think the .45-70 Marlin loaded with the cast 405's would do goodly :)

JD338":q3a1v7ql said:

JD338

I sure can Jim.. Can't think of a better hog killer either!

Just amazing how much punishment those hogs can take. Be cool to see what the 300 PT at 2300-2400 FPS would do in our 45-70s.

I wonder if the .458 300 gr PT would make it through both shoulders of a 400 lb hog?

JD338

Back