Why one needs a robust scope.

FOTIS

Range Officer
Staff member
Oct 30, 2004
A very old man once told me no matter how much you spent on your rifle it is is worth nothing with out great optics.

He was right

high-speed video of scope and barrel flexing on a 50BMG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5pVya7eask

I am making this one a sticky!

That is a pretty informative video, Fotis. The mounting system and the quality of the scope are vital whatever firing system is in question.

True Doc.

Granted this is a 50 cal but think of a much lighter scope on a Lapua or something.

Never go cheap on scopes!

You also need a robust mounting system when shooting big boomer. I found out just last night while removing the MK4 from my 338 Lapua so that I can mount the Nightforce. As I'm unscrewing the screws from a Seekins ring, It felt like a few were really loose. I thought that the screw were just came undone due to recoil but it turns out that the screws are breaking apart. The screws are probably sub quality and can't handle the violent recoil of my 338. This rifle is really hard on optics. It reaped apart two IOR's when I first got it. Only the MK4 can withstand it's recoil. I hope the Nightforce will do as well.

DSC02078.jpg

DSC02079.jpg

DSC02081.jpg

DSC02080.jpg

DSC02082.jpg

This screws are 8-32 and larger than your typical ring screws.

The weird thing is the screws that broke were on the same position on the forward and on the rear ring. That must be the area where the higher concentration of force is exerted. I have to find a better quality screws. Just like everything else, most of this screw came from either Taiwan or China.

If you look really close it looks like the mount is doing most if not all of the flexing. That rail system isn't nearly strong enough for that recoil. It wiggles like a wet noodle under recoil and that is why the scope looks like it's doing the same.

Wow, pretty intersting video.
Its no wonder why lesser scopes fail.

JD338

With that kind of a vibration node through that mount, rings and scope, the screws probably sheared because of relative motion shear forces between scope tube and mount. May be more likely in this case than a tensile failure, especially with 32 TPI threading. Screw looks more like a shear failure to me at least. Certainly impressive vibrations!

Safari Magazine, from Safari Club International, did quite a torture test of scopes and mounts a few years ago - testing a variety of scopes on a .460 Weatherby Mk V. The scopes held up well, but the Picatinny rail mount eventually failed under that severe recoil.

Several years ago I had the privilege of doing a six-month test of a U.S. Optics scope - input from a rural area SWAT sniper was desired. That was one heck of a scope, but my department couldn't afford it, neither could I, so it went back after the test. Sadly.

The scope was quite large and heavy compared to the hunting scopes I typically prefer, but had crystal clear optics and was very strong. It was mounted to my rifle on a steel Badger rail base with steel Badger rings. Tough stuff.

On the way out from an operation up in the Cascades, a rock turned underfoot and I took a hard fall. The rifle went flying from my hands and crashed onto the rocks after about a 6' fall. No apparent damage externally.

The next morning I headed to the range bright and early - and was impressed to find that the zero had not shifted at all.

I've seen a 6.5-20x Leupold lose it's zero (badly) by having the rifle simply kicked over while sitting on the firing line on a short bipod. This big U.S. Optics scope never even budged. Very impressive. Yet another reason to go with a robust scope & mounting system.

I believe the heavier scopes put more of a strain on their mounts during recoil than do the lighter scopes.

Also, fixed power scopes simply have fewer internal parts, less to go wrong.

Things worth considering when scope & mount shopping.

Regards, Guy

Guy Miner":o2w5rczb said:
I believe the heavier scopes put more of a strain on their mounts during recoil than do the lighter scopes.

Also, fixed power scopes simply have fewer internal parts, less to go wrong.

Things worth considering when scope & mount shopping.

Regards, Guy

Excellent point Guy.

I too believe that heavy scopes place large strain on mounting equipment. I remember a SS 10x42 mounted on a .300 RUM (with brake) that sheared off several screws in both Leupold PRW 30mm rings.... and the rear 2-Piece Leupold base. It was also very difficult to keep that rifle zeroed, not due to the scope (because it perforemed perfectly before and after riding this rifle).... but due to the strain on the mounts/hardware.

Once I went to a VariX-3 Tac. 4.5-14x40 in Talley's..... it never moved (and the rifle lost over a pound).

Another thing to consider on a hard recoiling rifle with big Tacticool glass..... is the fact that you're often shooting large Obj. lenses too (50mm+). This calls for high rings, which creates added leverage (longer lever) against the mounts for the heavy scope to beat on them with. If you do go big glass (which is sometimes necessary) don't skimp on the mounts and don't trust the factory hardware.

Folks tend to think it's all about the glass, but over time, I've come to realize that what you pay for in the premier scopes is mechanical quality. Nightforce, US Optics, etc get their premium because they are so damned tough, repeatable and robust.

The glass quality and polishing for basics, plus the science of coatings and the optical phase matching of the refractory indices of the lenses is important for sure to give you the basic optical performance that you are paying for.

AzDak42, you are abslolutely right on mechanics. Getting the internals designed and built tough is very important as well as assuring with double springs or whatever that the eyebox maintains zero, despite shocks, knocks, dings and temperature changes. That scope has to survive horseback and whatever comes its way and still deliver optical performance.

Desert Fox":1cyxlmbi said:
You also need a robust mounting system when shooting big boomer. I found out just last night while removing the MK4 from my 338 Lapua so that I can mount the Nightforce. As I'm unscrewing the screws from a Seekins ring, It felt like a few were really loose. I thought that the screw were just came undone due to recoil but it turns out that the screws are breaking apart. The screws are probably sub quality and can't handle the violent recoil of my 338. This rifle is really hard on optics. It reaped apart two IOR's when I first got it. Only the MK4 can withstand it's recoil. I hope the Nightforce will do as well.

DSC02078.jpg

DSC02079.jpg

DSC02081.jpg

DSC02080.jpg

DSC02082.jpg

DF, I had the same thing happen with my 338 lapua until I switched over to the burris tactical rings. I have not looked back since.

I think for any scope that is going to be used and mounted on a .300 Mag or larger, should have premium rings which are built to mil-std specifications. I use TPS rings and they are very strongly built. Besides which the better rings are closer tolerance on bore alignment and hold the scope in line and precisely. Saving $50 on rings and ruining a $400+ scope from recoil misalignment doesn't make sense.

That is not a bad idea Charlie. But I have to say some mags (ahem 378 BEE) need them more than others.

Back