Tough Crowd

Desert Fox

Handloader
Aug 14, 2006
Man, It's really hard to win at the Desert Marksman 1K shoot. We're suppose to shoot last week but because of bad weather, we postponed it until today. I borrowed the 6.5-47 Lapua from the wifey since she can't make it to the shoot today. I planned on using my 308 at first but since my wife is not going, I took the 6.5-47.

We had 30 minutes to shoot 25 rounds. I did pretty good, but not good enough for first place. I only managed to place 3rd in the non-magnum category. The first and second scored 248 out of possible 250 with 14 and 11 shot on the X . I scored 247 with 13X. Overall, it was a good day with wind not a factor for the morning shooters but started bothering us afternoon shooters gusting between 5 to 8 miles an hour. Luckily the wind pattern was pretty steady.

IMG_0590.jpg

IMG_0588.jpg

Tough crowd, but you are climbing the ladder, Rommel. Congratulations. It looks as if you are getting there. Your success is enviable to many people.

G'Day Fella's,

Well done Desert Fox!
Third place is pretty impressive, especially with a borrowed rifle!!!

Doh!
Homer

Rommel,

Excellent shooting, congratulations buddy.
13X is most impressive.

JD338

Congrats! I'd say a 247-13x is outstanding at 1000 yards!

Okay, so the top couple of guys did even better... Good for them too!

Guy

Thanks Guys.

The 6.5-47 Lapua performed admirably. I have to be mentally prepared when shooting against these crowd. It can be quite intimidating when you heard an announcement that someone almost cleaned a target while you are waiting for your turn.

Here's the areal view of the Desert Marksman 1000 yards shooting range. The azimuth of fire is towards the southeast. The sun is right in your face when shooting in the morning.

Image-1.jpg

It helps visualise your situation, Rommel. I used Google Earth to explore the area a bit. I have a better idea of what is happening. Thanks.

1000 yards remains a very tough test of a rifleman's skills - even with top notch equipment & ammo.

Here's another angle. Wind usually blows in westerly direction but can change direction blowing north without warning.
Image-1.jpg

That's some great shooting! Congratulations!
I could only hope and dream to be within 1 point of first place!
I would be lucky to put one in the X ring like Rocketvapor!LOL

That is quite the accomplishment due to your commitment and dedication to advancing your skill to that level. Keep up the great work!

Back