Why one needs a robust scope.

The standard Swiss automatic made screws which are soft steel do break sometmes. I try to limit my torque to the recommended 25 inch pounds, however even then, these cheap rings screws break in use after awhile.

You have to realize that a big scope like the 6.5 -20x50 scope will hve a moment load on the base and ring screws during firing of over 200 pounds. Continual loads ot this moment magnitude will stress and break the 6-48 base screws eventually.

Guy Miner":3icc2tnn said:
I've seen a 6.5-20x Leupold lose it's zero (badly) by having the rifle simply kicked over while sitting on the firing line on a short bipod. This big U.S. Optics scope never even budged. Very impressive. Yet another reason to go with a robust scope & mounting system.

Guy,
I saw this same thing once with a Leupold VX-II 4-12 AO during a pdog hunt. While laying prone, I swiveled my shoulders to point my binocs toward another area, and accidentally bumped the 223 rifle, which was sitting on the ground on a short Harris bi-pod. It fell over - an easy tipover in soft dirt. This caused the zero to shift horizontally some 3-4" at 100 yards.

I first thought it was the scope, now I suspect the Burris dovetail mounts. The dovetail could have allowed the ring to shift sideways - methinks...

I will be installing a set of steel Warne rings and mounts before long. BT

"Desert Fox" You also need a robust mounting system when shooting big boomer. I found out just last night while removing the MK4 from my 338 Lapua so that I can mount the Nightforce. As I'm unscrewing the screws from a Seekins ring, It felt like a few were really loose. I thought that the screw were just came undone due to recoil but it turns out that the screws are breaking apart. The screws are probably sub quality and can't handle the violent recoil of my 338. This rifle is really hard on optics. It reaped apart two IOR's when I first got it. Only the MK4 can withstand it's recoil. I hope the Nightforce will do as well."Desert Fox"

Wow talk about abuse, I've seen this can happen but since you brought it up I've always thought IOR Valdada scopes were robust? I was looking at their new 3.5-18x50 FFP scope for a 338LM, but didn't like that screw/cap below the Objective adjustment on the left side of the turret. I thought it might hinder mounting it and/or cause an issue with some of the different one piece base and ring mounts?

Anyway I went a different route and just bought a Premier 3-15x50 that will be mounted in a Sako three ring base. I haven't gotten it yet, but I'll be comparing it to my Kahles K312 II. I would suspect that it hold up to the abuse of the Lapua Magnum, but only time will tell?

I have sheared off ring screws in Leupold rings. That is why I have mounted all of my standard ring and mount rifles with either low or medium Tactical Precision Systems (TPS) rings mounted on Warne steel bases both Picatinny and Weaver type steel bases. The TPS rings have tempered steel ring screws that will not break ever at 25 inch pounds of torque to the ring screws.

Well its a Leupold advertisement, but a good "ad" anyway. If I recall correctly Leupold and I suppose some other major manufacturers do an impact test in a contrlloed environment. Ok its still cool....

http://video.huntingclub.com/video/Leup ... -A-Poundin

I think I could duplicate the test with a couple big hose clamps and the differential of my 1986 Caprice daily driver. I even have a couple Tasco's I could use. Anybody want to donate a Luey for the test? :) :) CL

No question about the VX3 and its physical integrity. The Leupold srew base mounts and their soft screws were all that I was talking about.

Oldtrader3":q0gk0zye said:
No question about the VX3 and its physical integrity. The Leupold srew base mounts and their soft screws were all that I was talking about.

Yup, I get that. Wasnt trying to say anything different or "divert" the thread. CL

I've had a couple sets of Warne scope rings and mounts for a few years now, and just got around to installing them on both of my Rem700s. I've often thought the dovetail type mounts I had been using were the cause of a couple shifts in point of impact in the past due to tipovers on the ground in soft dirt....

I saw this video recently that was linked on the Warne site. You gotta see this...
http://bcove.me/1eavf788

By the way, all scope mounting parts and systems are made in the USA... BT
http://warnescopemounts.com/

That is an impressive video, BeeTee. Looks like a good system to use. I do like Trijicon, a lot.

I use the Warne Maxima steel bases and a couple of their rings sets. Never had and issue with Warne. That Trijicon scope held up really well to those drop tests too. That is one rugged scope!

When it comes down to it and want strong, not to heavy and has never let me down on my 416Wby, 340Wby and in fact all my other Weatherby's I used Warne and in fact that is what is on even my 7mm08 and will soon be on that cheap marlin XL7 30-06. I always come back to them, an amazing product.

This Accumark 338-378 has not flinched with Warne Steel 2 piece bases and Warne Steel Tactical Rings and I did lap the rings and the Leupold Tactical Optik has taken everything I have to give them but will be getting a Near Manufacturing Alpha Mount shortly that has 2 rings in front and 1 on the rear but i first, gotta recover from all the 44 Mag shells I,have bought recently :) The Warne stuff will be kept as a back up for sure!

if you don't drop or bang the rifle.... or fall and drop or bang your rifle like I did last year... then you don't need a high dollar scope.. NOT !

It pays to buy a good scope, yes, but over 300 bucks, no, IMHO. A 3-9x40 is pleanty even out west at long range.

I just read an article from Les Bowman in an American Rifleman magazine, way back in 1965, about Ye Ol' Bushnell Command Post scopes. According to him it was an excellent scope. The article was titled, "Game shooting at Long Range"...and I'm sure the didn't break the bank.

I’d add, get great rings. No scope at any price delivers with bad rings.

Have a friend who’s 270 got bumped in transit. Emptied the mag 3 times and no happiness. Shook his confidence bad. Got on a range found out the scope was way off... re-sighted and got a black buck next shot. 8 months later... it’s still haunting him even on the range...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back