Jeep Wrangler hunting vehicle

No problem Scotty - Jeep still makes 'em! :grin: And I heard that a new powerful diesel engine is going to be available too, with tons of torque and great fuel economy...

http://www.jeep.com/en/#wrangler

Some cool videos from Jeep: http://www.jeep.com/en/jeep_capabilities/

IMG_7303.jpg

Anything to help out buddy. It's only money!

Guy

Updated with no lid and no doors! Weather turned warm and dry, so we're enjoying it.

Only takes a few minutes to get rid of the doors. Easier to remove the main roof with a little help from another guy. Still, it's quick and easy.

Lots of fun!

Yup. Jeeps are starting to go topless around here too Guy. I see them on the roads and miss my old rig even more. Ah well, maybe after I retire. Be a cool rig to have for running around the mountains.

Yeah Scotty, Mama and I had a real nice drive last night with the lid and doors removed. We took the little roads up to a neighboring town, ate some great BBQ, and found our way home via the little roads again.

I was worried that Mama wouldn't like the "no doors" feeling. Apparently I'd forgotten that she has been perched on the back of my motorcycle off and on for 30 years. She loved having the doors off the Jeep!

It's a completely different feeling vehicle with the doors & top removed.

Regards, Guy

Guy,

Smashing good write-up.

I wanted a Jeep in the worst way after reading your review but SWMBO got an FJ Cruiser instead due to cargo hauling capabilities. I'll have to stick with my truck for now but if I ever when the Redneck Retirement System, read Lotto, I'll be buying a Jeep based on your review.

Vince

Still enjoying lots of trouble-free fun with the Jeep. It's been a year now since purchase. We've had the doors & lid off most of the summer. Starting to think about when to put it all back together, before hunting season.

Winching a fallen tree from the road:

The only issue has been that it tends to get a little dirty. Weird that...

Guy

With that amount of dirt, you may need to change the tires, Guy. :mrgreen: You've managed to let the Wrangler see quite a bit of territory in this past year.

I'll tell ya, the wife and I went to look at four door Rubicons about a month or so ago, after driving them, were both gunning for a new/used one in the future. The new ones ride and drive very nice and were pretty danged comfortable too.

2012 and up have the upgraded interior and more importantly a far more powerful V6.

I think you "need" a Rubicon again Scotty... :mrgreen:

If they had a diesel option, I'd be all over a new Wrangler. I think its coming in the next few years.

I think it is coming. Hope so. Diesels have been available, sporadically, on Jeeps from time to time.

Guess that's redundant eh?

A diesel in a 4x4 makes a LOT of sense.

Guy

BTW - the new computerized Wrangler has some interesting features, and after a year & 12,000 miles here's my thoughts on them:

1. A "hill hold" mode. Dang, this is cool on a manual trans. The computer knows you're sitting still on an incline, like on a steep hill, waiting for the light to change. That can get kind of hairy for a novice at the wheel. Not with the Jeep. Take foot off brake, Jeep just sits there, waiting for the driver to engage 1st gear and let out the clutch. It holds position for several seconds. Surprised the heck out of me. I think there's another name for it, but I've started thinking of it as the "hill hold" so sorry, it's stuck there.

2. Crawl mode... Wow... In first gear, low range, the computer will supply just enough fuel & air to keep the engine running, keep the vehicle moving forward. Uphill. Downhill. Deep mud. Sand. Rocks... It's really kind of amazing. I'd read about it, but had to try it. Way down a seldom traveled dirt road, down in the bottom of a canyon, I needed to get the Jeep back up and out of the canyon. Shoved her into low range, first gear, let out the clutch, and I'll be darned. I never even touched the gas pedal. The Jeep slowly (about walking pace) crawled right up the rutted dirt road, all the way, 10+ minutes of climbing as I sat there amazed. The engine never snorted, bobbled, hiccuped, or anything. It just purred along at low rpm's and let the tires pull the Jeep up and out of the canyon, through the ruts, over the rocks and over the roots & fallen tree limbs. It was pretty impressive.

3. The Jeep also has a "brake lock differential" function. It's NOT a real locker (unless you get the Rubicon) but it senses, and limits wheelspin. I was not sure how well this would work, I've seen similar things touted in the past, but this is really cool. I've only had the Jeep on tough rocks once, and there were a couple of times when an unweighted front or rear wheel would lose a little grip and start to spin. The computer kicks in the brakes, limits the wheelspin, and transfers power to the wheels/tires that do have grip. Almost seamlessly, the little Jeep is moving again.

This is NOT your old, bare-bones, simple 4x4. I like those too, always have, but this high-tech stuff seems to work real well on the Wrangler, and if the driver wants, he can turn much of it off.

Guy

Guy, I noticed the hill hold feature as well when we test drove the Rubicons. The wife and I actually drove the six speed and the auto. Be a tough choice. The auto was very good, not the old loose autos of the past. Yeah, I was very impressed with the power of the V6 Guy. I was sold when I jumped on the I95 and was up to 75 in a flash!

If there is a diesel Jeep released, that would be sheer bliss for me but I like that little V6. Very strong and the Rubicons have some excellent gearing that would make for a great hunting rig. Although, I'm not sure Lori would ever let me drive it. The ride felt about as nice as her Commander as well. Again, I'm very impressed with them. Mileage, power and good ride. They should have named them WSM's there so good! :grin:

The younger set approves. My oldest son and two twenty-something friends borrowed the Jeep for a couple of days up in the local hills. They came back grinning, with a very dirty Jeep. At least they filled the tank, and rinsed off the big chunks of mud before handing the keys back. Nice to know that they approve... He wants it for another weekend later this month... Sigh...

Up at about 5,000' - 6,000'

They helped me put the top and doors back on, just before several intense thunderstorms hit. Good timing!

Guy

Very nice Guy. You don't make it easy resisting a new Jeep. I was thinking a new truck when I retire, but maybe I'll just hold onto the old diesel and add a Rubicon to the mix.....

You're not helping me in my quest to not buy a new vehicle.

We got the wife an FJ Cruiser this year and I'm planning to keep my Tundra for another 100,000+ miles before I get a new one. I've always been intrigued by Jeeps though. If I ever win the Redneck Retirement System, Powerball, the Jeep will likely be my "splurge" vehicle.

Enjoy the Jeep and wave as you pass me pulling the horse trailer to hunting camp. :grin:

Then you'll get to wave as you ride the horses past me, while I'm hiking in...

Guy

Guy,

That's a sweet setup. You'll need to keep us informed regarding the power plant in it (Pentastar). I think Jeep made a smart move fitting that under the hood. The reason the 4.0 disappeared was due to EPA regs (great engine). The old (up to 2011) 3.8 was underpowered...

If the Pentastar proves to be a 200+K mile wonder, the Wrangler will continue its success.

Again, nice setup. I've always loved the Wrangler and their predecessors.

Guy,

I'll wave but I won't me a horseback. The horse trailer is my camping trailer. Blocks the wind better than a tent and gives me a secure place to store my camp when I'm out hunting. It's a lot harder to break in to than a typical camping trailer. :)

Guy, how difficult is it to remove and put the top back on it? Can a husband and wife duo take the task on, or is it too heavy?

Thanks

Back