All new members enter here.

FOTIS":3w49vre7 said:
Razorbacker":3w49vre7 said:
Thanks for the welcome everyone. I've been doing some surfing and I like it here already.

You need any help do not forget to use the PM button.

Ask Mike! :mrgreen: :wink:

Mike and I were PMing before PMing was cool, :grin:

Well I did not know you guys were BFF;s!

FOTIS":1npvtubo said:
Well I did not know you guys were BFF;s!

Yeah, but I don't have any friend that is :shock: quit like you FOTIS :mrgreen:

Howdy all.

I missed this thread but as they say, better late than never.

Just started taking my hunting seriously but been a shooter all my life. I took a break from work, seven months, and while I was curled up on the couch in a fetal position I decided I wanted to hunt. Before that I'd been deer hunting, walking with guns, a couple of times, shot a few 'roos down under, and shot a few coyotes when the opportunity presented itself.

Being raised around horses and cattle I joined in a few cat and bear chases, with hounds, but never had the opportunity to pull the trigger on one. I was the gate-opener, horse holder, campfire wood fetcher, and rider of green colts. It made me too stupid to quit sometimes but I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Being that I'm stuck in the desert southwest I try to chase the Coues deer when I can. Went to WY last year to bag a few antelope for the freezer and looking to build on the expiriences I've had so far. This is a great group and I like being here.

Vince

And we all enjoy your presence, Vince. You'll find a ready acceptance among friends in this site.

Hey Vince, we really like having you hear man and so good to talk to you the other evening, really enjoyed our conversation. Yes, this is a great place to be. :grin:

New to the forum,

I grew up hunting started with a BB gun killing chipmunks and squirrels, then a 22, 30-30, 243

Moved to NY from Pa, got married and now have a gunsmith for a brother-in-law! So currently awaiting a 280AI and a 338-06 AI, which also means I'm going to be learning how to reload. I'm no marksman just enjoy being out in the woods, put meat in the freezer if the opportunity presents itself. Most of my target shooting is groundhogs through the summer, but will have to change that a bit with handloading at least untill I have some loads developed but that should be good for me to sit down with the new rifles and hopefully work on my form and marksmanship a bit more.

Love bear hunting in PA with my dad, but don't have a clue what I would do if I ever shot one (wife says no dead animals on the wall... latest thought to cross my mind is become a taxidermist on the side since I love a well done animal mount and help others get their dreams since that is one I won't)

Currently I'm a hoof trimmer for cows, took up riding horses a couple years ago, snowmobile a bit in the winter when we get snow, enjoy camping, love cooking (slow smoked bbq has been my latest cooking passion, as well as making crispy fresh cut fries)

I have lots to learn but think Nosler products seem to have a great reputation, tell you more info about their bullets than some of the others, and provide something for everyone so only makes sense to check out the forums and learn as much as I can

Again, welcome aboard, Tim. You'll fit in quite well around here. Having a gunsmith for a BIL is a stroke of genius! How did you manage that? Actually, sounds great. You are correct that to wring the most out of your planned rifles, you'll want to handload. What action are you using for your 280AI build? Have you given any thought to what components you want to use? Nvbroncrider may have some insight on the 338-06AI; he built one and works on it when he has time. Consequently, black bear is fine table fare. Your wife may relax her rule once she tastes fresh bear ribs or enjoys a nice bear roast.

Welcome Tim.. I am sure you will enjoy it here.

Welcome aboard Tim. Sounds like your building a cool pair of rifles!

Your at the right spot for those two cartridges. They are true favorites for quite a few folks around here.

Hope you enjoy it here. One of the best spots for handloaders, hunters and rifleman.

Fire Hawk":3nv6wwzp said:
Thank you Dr. Mike! I bought the ProChrony Digital upon the recommendation of MANY others. Almost unanimously they encouraged me to go this route over going with one of the Shooting Chrony models etc.

As for my daughter, she absolutely loves to be with me so I will just be patient on the archery thing. She really enjoys fishing with me and just yesterday she tried to teach a buddy's daughter how to "kiss" the first fish of the ice fishing trip. Buddy's daughter didn't go for it, but my daughter didn't hesitate to show her it was okay to kiss those yellow perch when they were caught. :grin:

My oldest daughter (twin of my son who is just about to earn his Eagle scout award) has the very best archery form I have ever seen. She looks like a natural and really does have the patience to shoot well. I am excited to she where she goes with it. She doesn't show any interest in hunting either, but she LOVES fishing. She is usually the one with the hot hand too.

The three oldest kids (14,14,11) have all successfully passed hunter's safety and my 14 and 11 year old son each hold current hunting licenses. Oldest didnt' fill either his buck deer or cow elk tag this year, but he did great and enjoyed spending time together in the mountains. My eleven year old did a terrific job in marsh this fall and harvested his first game animal. A nice pintail duck that tasted great.

Won't be long and both my boys will be toting rifles for deer and elk each fall. Can't wait to form those memories and enjoy the time in the hills together.

FH

Welcome Fire Hawk, I lived and hunted in Utah and surrounding states for 20 years while working in Sandy Utah. We look forward to discussing issues with you as they come up.
Charlie

Just saw this thread. My name is Chad, i am a fairly new forum member and am getting into rifle hunting and reloading. I grew up with a bow in my hand and have a passion for hunting elk. I am a career firefighter here in Salt Lake City. My job gives me lots of free time to hunt and shoot. I have 3 kids the oldest of which is turning into quite the hunter and shooter.

I currently have a .270 Win. Weatherby Vanguard series II, 7mm-08 Savage model 11 Left handed, 22-250 Rem 700. Also have .54 cal hawken and CVA .50 cal muzzys. Love to shoot them all.

I want to thank you all for helping me with all my questions. It has helped a bunch. I look forward to learning a ton more!

And then passing on what you have learned to your own children, Chad. We are all learning from one another as we gain experience here.

A little late perhaps, being that I first registered two years ago, but better late than never... :)

My avatar photo on the left was shot last night. I thought it appropriate to both honor Nosler and to illustrate why I chose BeeTee as a login name. In the photo is a 223, 308 and 7mm Remington Magnum - all loaded with Ballistic Tips. I've shot thousands of BTs through the years. They are my favorite bullets. My daughter Sarah smiles whenever I hand her an ammo box with either 223 or 308 rounds loaded with Ballistic Tip bullets. Having shot some 0.2s and 0.3s with both the 223 and 308 loaded with BTs, she knows a good thing when she sees it and likes shooting the good stuff.

I'm a Vietnam era Navy vet. I've hunted all across Montana and Idaho since the 1960s, and some in California (coastal blacktails, pheasant, dove, quail & hogs) while I was stationed at NAS Lemoore in the 1970s.

If you own a diesel pickup and have bought a magazine or two, you've probably read some of my stuff. I'm here for discussion about firearms, optics, shooting and hunting, all on a professionally run discussion board operated by my favorite bullet company. Thanks Nosler!

Jim

And, of course, all of us have benefitted by your presence, BT. You've made a solid contribution with your thoughtful comments. The rationale behind your nom de plume escaped me; your explanation makes perfect sense.

Back