.308 220gr Partition

akhunter

Beginner
Dec 19, 2011
Anyone use this bullet in a big 30 cal magnum at around 3000 fps? Not looking for a long range bullet, but something more for closer range at around 150 yards or less. I'm shooting a semi-custom Model 70 300 RUM. Getting ready to work up a new load for this rifle as my winter bison hunts starts in a couple of weeks. My favorite bullet for this rifle is the 180gr Swift SI 2, killed many animals, but the hunt requires a 200gr minimum.

The pacnor barrel shoots just about anything that I've fed it other than the bullet I really wanted to use, and that was the 200gr TSX (gonna try it again next week).

I got sub moa with 91.5gr of RL25 and the Nosler AccuBond 200gr. Never used them on game before, and leads to the question on whether the 220gr Partition would be tougher and penetrate more than the AccuBond?

I want to try the 210gr AccuBond LR but can't find any locally or miss out when they show up online.

What's your guy's thoughts?

Also considering the 200gr Swift A-Frame for the task. My semi custom Model 70 358 Norma Mag paired with the 225gr Swift A-Frame works really well on game and hits like the hammer of thor. I can get those right at 3000 fps out of a 26" barrel.

I have used them at 2700 fps before and they work very well at that speed. I would rate them as being tougher than the 200 gr AccuBond as well. Any of the bullets you list would work well but the 220 gr Partition is an excellent bullet and definitely not just for short range in a big 300 RUM at 3000 fps.

gerry":dz5nhyus said:
I have used them at 2700 fps before and they work very well at that speed. I would rate them as being tougher than the 200 gr AccuBond as well. Any of the bullets you list would work well but the 220 gr Partition is an excellent bullet and definitely not just for short range in a big 300 RUM at 3000 fps.

I am with Gerry, I think that 220 will smoke the 200 AB in game, as far as penetration goes. Now, the 200 AB will drive deep as well, but that 220 is a drill. I would love to see one blasted in water to see exactly what it does. I have some I was going to try in my 300WSM, just never got around to it. But it would likely be about the same as Gerry's 2700 results.

I used them in the 308 Norma I had in the 2700-2750 fps range and they certainly worked well on bear, my buddy used them in a 300 WM for several grizzlies and a mountain goat with excellent performance.

I loaded up some for my 300 Win Mag. They shoot really well. Never hunted bison, but I think the 220 would work really well on them. They're really big bullets.

Back