Scope the .375 !

Guy,

Either of your sweet .375s will smack game pretty smartly. I can't see much here in North America walking away from a decent hit with one of those pills.

Yeah, I agree. Figure the .375's are about .075" beyond what's necessary... :mrgreen:

But, after the .270 or .30-06, not much is really necessary.

Did I just put the .270 in there? Man, I'm slipping and going all too easy these days... :grin:

Back to Optics... I'm likely staying with Leupold, a name I've trusted for 40 years. In fact that 40 year old 3-9x is still working just fine.

Thinking I'll check the accuracy of this new Model 70 with an existing scope, and if it's a 300 yard+ shooter... well then I'll scope it for such an eventuality. Otherwise, something of low power for sure.

Guy

Well, there is certainly nothing wrong with Leupold scopes. They do what they are supposed to do and continue to give good service.

Nothing wrong with a .270 either, within the constraints of its bullet weights and ability to DRT. I figure with a .30-06, .270 Win, .257 Roberts I have that niche covered. If I need something larger, I have the .338 Federal and 9.3x74R. Plus, considering that I am old and don't even hunt anything larger than deer with an occasional elk any more.

In fact, my .270 has probably killed 2/3rd's of all the deer that I have killed. I can't ask for more than that? I would like to shoot something with the .338 Federal before I die but even that is a stretch given my health.

I've had numerous VX-III 1.5-5's in my lifetime that have held up to the recoil of more then a few big boomers and still do on a Ruger Express 30-06 I own. It's perfectly suited to the medium bore guns, and with QD removable rings makes for a perfect pair. Besides, the scope wont over power the looks of the gun!

Cole, that is a new concept, that of the scope overpowering the looks of the gun. I have been thinking about that throughout the day today. I guess that I do not have any really big scopes? They range from 1.5-5x20 on the 9.3x74R to Zeiss Diavari 5-15x42 which is the same size as my Zeiss 3.5-10x44 Conquest. All the rest of the scopes are between a 2.5-8x32 to a 4-12x50 Swarovski which is on a fully custom model 70 and does not look large on that gun.

I do not have any 30mm tubed, 6.5-26x56mm scopes on any rifles anyhow. I have a mental picture of this but nothing that I have comes close except the CZ 527, .204 Ruger with the Vari X 4.5-14x40 AO scope for varmits. Maybe that qualifies?
Charlie

Charlie, I have that same Zeiss V/VM 5-15x42. It was on my Jarrett 280 AI, but now it's on the Remington R5 223. Nice size of a scope with that range of magnification, light weight as well..... and of course great optics!

Mostly I think the scope size should look good on the gun? I do have a few 34mm scopes that are just Huge in my opinion, the Premier for sure, but since it's on the Sako TRG, which is a big long gun to begin with, it looks Ok.

Cole, putting a 34mm scope on a varmit rifle like the CZ 527 would look out of balance. I have my Zeiss Diavari V/VM on my .257 Roberts which is a Browning High Power with a 24 inch Douglas barrel. It looks fine on there. There are not many of these Zeiss Diavari V 5-5x42 scopes around any more. I had that scope since the 1990's and I am keeping mine!
Charlie

Like I said, the 34mm scopes are hugh, and don't look good on anything other then the tactical rifles they were designed for. So I total agree with you, it would not pair well on the vast majority of rifles out there.

Charlie,

On another note, do you need any brass for you 257 Roberts? I have 200 pieces of once fired Remington brass that is doing nothing here since I no longer own a Bob I'd like to get rid of. I also have (85) 117 gr. Hornady SST's bullets and a partial box (17) of Hornady VX 58 gr. factory ammunition I'd toss in with the the deal if you're interested?

I have a 2.5-8x32 Zeiss Conquest which they stopped making 4 years ago. Best scope they ever made for big bores, if you can find one! Recoil proof and clear as gin!

Arrived at a temporary, no-cost solution today. Took a look at my hunting rifles, figured out that I had no plans to hunt this season with my .30-30 so I removed the 2.5x Leupold from it and mounted it in the QR Talley Rings and now it sits on the Model 70. It is one of my favorite hunting scopes, as it is lightweight and clear with excellent eye relief. Yes, it's a little lacking in magnification for long-range shooting. Still, it has done quite nicely at 200 yards before.

At least I've got a scope on the rifle and I can start getting a better idea of how it shoots!

With that nice looking quarter rib, there's not a lot of room for a large objective bell. I tried mounting an older 3-9x Leupold, but the objective lens wouldn't clear... I'm thinking a 36mm objective might be as big as this rifle will take without going to tall rings.

Look for a range report sometime in the next month or so.

Guy

I think it looks perfect Guy and for shooting out to 300, I'd be just fine with that 2.5X Leupold. Almost got one for my shotgun, but I ran across a used 1.5x5 a fellow traded to me. I like that little 2.5 though. I think it's probably about perfect on the shotguns, big bores and 45-70 for the durability standpoint. Not much to go wrong with it. That's for sure.

Looks like a perfect match to me! This is where pairing the right scope for the gun comes together, and where a low power 1" objective bell belongs..... on a medium-large bore quarter rib barreled bolt gun. You'll never need anything more, but if you put a 1.5-5x on it.

Yes, I've got a 1.5-5x Leupold on the other .375 H&H and it's working out really well!

What a problem to have, dealing with a pair of good .375 H&H rifles! I'll try to cope... :grin:

Guy

Oldtrader3":2fhybf90 said:
Looks like my 9.3x74R, Number One. I also have a a 1.5x5x20 VX3 Leupold on mine.

I put one of the same on my slug gun. Pretty nice scope. First one I have owned. Those lower powered Leupold's make great hunting scopes and they don't take up a whole lotta room. Should be pretty tough too. I think the one I have is an older VXIII though..

These small scopes are not great for shooting small groups at 100 yards but they are great for hunting. At least not mine with the #4 reticle in the scope.

Oldtrader3":3j8r40ji said:
These small scopes are not great for shooting small groups at 100 yards but they are great for hunting. At least not mine with the #4 reticle in the scope.

I agree 100% Charlie. Maybe not awesome for shooting tiny groups, but hunting is where they excel. I wished I could have gotten a #4 in mine as that has become my favorite reticle for hunting, but I got this scope in a swap, so it didn't cost me a dime. Maybe down the road, I will have Leupold retrofit a #4 down the road.

It's funny, all the sudden, in todays hunting, people balk at a 4-5X scope for hunting. I had an old Redfield 4X on my 7mm Rem Mag and it seemed to shoot fine. Killed alot more stuff with that combo than any other and man, was it is a tough combo.

Back