26 Nosler ?

killdeernow":22zssmk8 said:
They should call it the 264 Phoenix...(rising from the ashes). The 6.5mm has rallied over the past decade. The 260 Rem in 1997, the 6.5x284 in 1999, the 6.5 Creedmoor in 2007, now the 26 Nosler. Not to mention the rise of the 264 Win Mag again.

I was thinking the Creedmoor or 260 for my daughter to use in the future as an all around deer, antelope, predator gun. Still thinking...

Either are an excellent choice for any deer hunter and are fantastic for youth hunters anywhere. We have introduced a few hunters to hunting with both the 260 Rem and 6.5x55, the black bears taken died just as quick as if they had been shot with a 300 mag of some sort.

Excellent thoughts on the 6.5mm bore, never thought about it that way, maybe people are finally beginning to see that the 6.5's combine bullets with high sectional density, ballistic coefficient with mild recoil and great game taking ability. Even the 264 WM doesn't kick hard at all but really performs down range, our 260 Rem is a pleasure to shoot and has always performed well.

gerry":ve648o9g said:
Excellent thoughts on the 6.5mm bore, never thought about it that way, maybe people are finally beginning to see that the 6.5's combine bullets with high sectional density, ballistic coefficient with mild recoil and great game taking ability. Even the 264 WM doesn't kick hard at all but really performs down range, our 260 Rem is a pleasure to shoot and has always performed well.

Man, your stealing the thoughts right outta my head Gerry.. I guess great minds to run on the same tracks! :lol:

What I can't believe is that old Dr. in BC doesn't own a 264? I heard just owning one makes most men grow an extra inch in height, and run a little faster too... :lol:

SJB358":2pjvyj88 said:
What I can't believe is that old Dr. in BC doesn't own a 264? I heard just owning one makes most men grow an extra inch, and run a little faster too... :lol:

:shock:

Heck, if I ran any faster, I'd actually move at more than a stroll! :mrgreen: I do have some 6.5mm cartridges, however. Won't that count?

DrMike":33qm9j8y said:
Heck, if I ran any faster, I'd actually move at more than a stroll! :mrgreen: I do have some 6.5mm cartridges, however. Won't that count?

Well, you have the little end of the 6.5's covered Mike. BUT, I am thinking you NEED the bigger end of the 264's.. Surprised you have made it this long without one.. Jeeze. I figured if anyone had one, it was you... :grin:

I confess that I'm intrigued by the idea of a 26 Nosler. We'll see what comes of that. :grin:

Looks like, from a cursory run at QL for the 264WM, the 26 Nosler will best it for 130gr AB's by about 200fps. Yikes...

this one has caught my attention too . I've had a 6.5 itch for awhile now ,and I just couldn't make up my mind . the 6.5 wsm is where I was really leaning though . now I have another in the mix , misery loves company . I need one like a hole in the head . one thing I've learned is needing has very little to do with having in this sport . Jim

jimbires":1yaurpgt said:
this one has caught my attention too . I've had a 6.5 itch for awhile now ,and I just couldn't make up my mind . the 6.5 wsm is where I was really leaning though . now I have another in the mix , misery loves company . I need one like a hole in the head . one thing I've learned is needing has very little to do with having in this sport . Jim

Man, you aren't kidding there Jim!

DrMike":1hchwe57 said:
Rigbymauser":1hchwe57 said:
Will the new 26Nosler leave .257wea unemployed?.

I doubt it.

Hey I have an idea..... load the 150 LRAB at 3400 fps with retumbo in a 7mm RUM. :shock:

I just checked the BC of the 129 ablr.....just .561.
I can't warm up to this critter.
I hope they've done good market forecasts....maybe the 6.5 craze is bigger than I thought but the .277 ablr and 7mm ablr seem like more of better thing w/more bullet wt on arrival.

When Remington released the 7mm Rem Mag for sale in 1962, Winchester ran a run of Model 70, .264 WM during that release period for Remington. I never have known if the reason that nobody bought those Model 70's was the fact that they had 22 inch barrels (a few of them had 24 or 26 inch), or if the 7mm Rem Mag just buried the Model 70 but that is ancient history now. Additionally, the 7mm Rem Mag is still in the top 5 for new rifle sales. Just wondering, with the economy and all, I would be pretty conservative about new calibers right now.

Now mind you, the only 6.5mm that I have owned was a CZ 500 6.5x55 Mannlicher that my son has for my grandson but I did not run out and replace that rifle like I did the .45-70 Marlin which I gave him? Just thinking out loud?

SJB358":3nr0yv3t said:
gerry":3nr0yv3t said:

Man, your stealing the thoughts right outta my head Gerry.. I guess great minds to run on the same tracks! :lol:

What I can't believe is that old Dr. in BC doesn't own a 264? I heard just owning one makes most men grow an extra inch in height, and run a little faster too... :lol:

Wow is all I gotta say...... I read this in another forum on here and thought it was a typo! 26 Nosler..... well what it lacks to the name surly makes up for it in velocity! Kinda reminds me of John Lazzeroni's 6.71 Blackbird or maybe the 6.5x68s case? Either way it's been obvious to anyone with a open mind to notice that the .264 has an advantage due to it's inherent caliber design and deliver a bullet with high S.D. and B.C. with the lighter recoil over larger diameter calibers...... which does allow for better shot placement for anyone behind the butt of a gun.

Back in the day of when every outdoor writer had nothing good to say about the .264 WM, and the 7mm rem. mag. was the king of the hill I later bought a Winchester M70 push feed in .264 WM, mine wore a 24"bbl. Needless to say it wouldn't stabilize the heavier bullets (130-140), but 120 gr. BT's shot dime size groups for me with little recoil! I used that gun to take more big game animals at ranges beyond what was considered ethical hunting distances then any other caliber I owned during that time frame it was with me. Sometime much later I bought another .264, only a hand gun, a .260 XP-100R in a carbon fiber stock, I took Antelope out to 400 yards with that rig. Only later to neck down the WSM to 6.5 which is with me almost every time I'm in the field hunting these past few years. I now have a 6.5x47 Lapua to be built.

So for myself I think the .264 rightfully deserves the respect as of late, along with being in the lime light as a precision rifle cartridge it's getting in the Tactical/PR shooting scene. Where it truly shines is LR Shooting while having very little recoil which anyone can learn to shoot very well. Whether or not the 26 Nosler takes off as a popular round is anyones guess. But at least Nosler stepped out of the box and produced something we don't have already too much of, another .30 caliber magnum cartridge! I'm thinking like Newton back in the bygone days way ahead of his time that Nosler is breaking the mold from the norm, so hats off to them!

kraky":10kl2jbv said:
I hope they've done good market forecasts....maybe the 6.5 craze is bigger than I thought but the .277 ablr and 7mm ablr seem like more of better thing w/more bullet wt on arrival.

I would bet a 140 gr or heavier ABLR is just around the corner.........

gerry":qhgf3w6e said:
kraky":qhgf3w6e said:

I would bet a 140 gr or heavier ABLR is just around the corner.........

I wouldn't take you up; I'd likely lose on that bet. :grin:

It'll be neat to see what that 10 additional grains will get us BC wise and the SD of .287 is nothing to yawn at...

Joe

tddeangelo":2az6cb1q said:
Looks like, from a cursory run at QL for the 264WM, the 26 Nosler will best it for 130gr AB's by about 200fps. Yikes...

Wow... That's impressive!

As soon as I can get the specs, I may do a build. Just thinking at the moment.

Back