All new members enter here.

Dan, dream on! :mrgreen:

I have been a fan of Partitions for 50 years and they have worked in most of my rifles, at least my serious rifles. Now I am using Accubonds in a couple of calibers and they seem to shoot really well in rifles that shoot them but that has always been the case with rifles and bullets, they like what they like!

Guy Miner":3t1jm5rk said:
Be particularly wary of the Canadians. I think they're secretly planning to steal Alaska... :grin:

Now, I'm forced to correct this situation. Everyone knows that Canadians are overly polite. We even say, "Excuse me," when forced to beat off an attacker. Way back a couple of centuries ago, a bunch of Ruskies slipped into North America, occupying what has today become Alaska. Canada, at that time occupied by the Brits, didn't want to hurt the feelings of those Ruskies, so we simply let things slide. Then, an American Secretary of State (does Seward's Folly ring any bells for you, gentle reader) made what he considered a legitimate purchase from the double-dealing Ruskies. They were in debt to the Rothschilds, having borrowed more than they could pay, and needed a lot of money in a big hurry, so they sold what didn't actually belong to them in the first place. And, wouldn't you know that the Canucks were too polite to embarrass the poor man. He was having quite enough trouble what with some recent domestic troubles and considerable opposition from Democrats in Congress (see that has been a problem for a long time); he didn't need further trouble from making such an ill-considered purchase. So, you see, Alaska does belong to the Canucks, but they are just too polite to mention the matter or to embarrass their dear friends who mostly live to the south of them in any case. Does that clear up the matter, Guy?

Clear as a glass of horse pucky, considering that if the US caught the flu, Canada would get pneumonia. :p American's being slight less politely inclined and more direct (at least the Republican's among us) , let it lie after laying it straight the way it should be. BS should always be behind the vehicle that comported it! :mrgreen:

Doc, that is a perfect explanation in my eyes :roll: only thing is they are behind in their rent payment :(. But again as being compassionate & carefree we just haven't asked for payment yet!! 8)

Blessings,
Dan

Hello all. I've browsed the forum several times and I just recently started posting. Just for a little background, I'm Active Duty Army currently deployed in Aghanistan and I'm a firearm and hunting addict. I've been stationed all over the world at one time or another and I have hunted nearly eveywhere I have been. From swarms of doves, exotics, and whitetails in the southern tip of Texas to caribou, wolf, bear and moose in the northern reaches of Alaska, plus several places in between. Like many on the forum, I'm a reloading fanatic and love to shoot at ranges that amaze most people. I like trying new things frequently, not necessarily to find better performance, but more for the sake of learning. I'm looking forward to staying here awhile and sharing stories about the sweeter things in life, like rifles and great hunting adventures.

Brent,

Thanks for posting. It is great to have you aboard; you'll fit in right well here. There is a good representation of other active duty fellows here. Mind you, you do have to watch out for all the jarheads hanging out here. We're all on a journey of learning as we absorb information from one another. I'm looking forward to your posts.

Welcome aboard Brent. I think you'll fit right in here buddy!

Again, welcome aboard. Scotty

SJB358":u8tzydk6 said:
Welcome aboard Brent. I think you'll fit right in here buddy!

Again, welcome aboard. Scotty

Resident Jarhead :shock: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:
He's some real great people, I don't think you can find a nicer Marine :!:

Hi,
My name is Dave, or "Pipes" so far as everyone in the USAF knew for the last 25 years. I've been reading here for a couple weeks, and have worked through a hundred threads or so, finally got my login password etc. Saw the intro thread, so here goes-- just going to list anything I can think of that deals with shooting, hunting, and reloading:

retired from USAF/USAFR after 29 total years, I see there's quite a bit of military folks here ;)
Shot the 30mm GE GAU-8 aerial-mounted Gatling gun (A-10) as well as the 20mm Vulcan cannon (F-16) while there, usually several times a week. Currently flying for air lines as my retired gig.
hunting since '90, reloading since '91. All big-game has been white-tails. Caliber of choice has always been .284 Win, which I shoot in Browning A-Bolt, though in my early years I shot .243Win and 25-06 and 7mmRM, and a bit of 30-30.
Did a lot or reloading for the .284Win and .257Weatherby back in the 90s and enjoyed working up loads for accuracy and target shooting. I've stayed with Nosler Ballistic Tips mostly, though have recently purchased 160gr AccuBond and 175gr ABLR in 7mm to start working on them.

I do much more dove and quail hunting than deer hunting actually, and reload for my Model12 16 GA, and a 28 GA. I've also done a good bit of duck and pheasant hunting in England (lived there), TX, and PA. I've done a decent amount of rabbit hunting also--love the rabbit stew!

I've been a trap and skeet Range Officer for the USAF, Range Officer for a shooting club in TX, got to do "bird depredation" as an airfield safety thing when desired, and did some Hunter Safety instruction.

So, that's it. Living in Phoenix, and am just getting back into reloading and load-workup, as I consider my sons beginning hunting soon and what cartridge/load/rifle they may start with. I guess my current projects will be working up a good 120gr Ballistic Tip load for .284Win, as well as 160gr AB and 175gr ABLR. I've read a lot of threads here on 280Rem, 280AI, .284, and gotten some good info--much thanks! I enjoyed the reading and banter enough to decide to stick around ;)

Welcome aboard, Dave. It's good to see another good man join us. There are a number of USAF fellows posting here; you'll be right at home. The .284 is an interesting, if underrated, cartridge. I've just built my first .284 and I'm working up loads for it now. Actually, I have it in the shop to address a feeding issue as I built it on a long action and the rails need some attention. Again, glad to have you here. We'll look forward to your posts.

Welcome aboard Dave, probably nearly everyone on this board has been in the armed services, even if not for a career. Hopefully you will find some things of interest to you during your time here.

Thanks much DrMike. I've read your posts on your .284 with interest. I also recently read quite a bit on the 284 having a resurgence of interest in long range F class, 1000yd shooting etc., over at 6mmBR.com and accurateshooter.com. Makes me think I was smarter than I remember back in the 90s, or at least luckier, when I did all my research and settled on 284Win as "the one". I'm happy to see the renewed interest, as my reloading-buddy/brother-in-law chose the 280Rem, and has slowly but surely been "winning the argument" ever since!

I started with a .280 (I'm on number three right now) and the cartridge is still a favourite. The 7mm must be a calibre I enjoy (7mm RM, 7mm WSM, .284 Win, .280 Rem and 7X57 Mauser are all found within the confines of my safes. Each of them gets the job done when I do my part; I don't expect the .284 to be any different. What loads are you currently using in your .284?

Welcome Dave, it's nice to see another Arizona shooter on the forum. Did you just move to phx or have you been around for awhile?

Welcome aboard Dave! Glad to have you aboard.

The 284 is a sweet cartridge. I would imagine we have shared some of the same grid squares if you have flown anywhere in IZ or AFG, just from different ASL's!

Don't be scared to throw some pictures up here. They are a hit amongst us folks.

Scotty

My name is Joe, I've recently been going through the information on the threads here and joined because there seem to be a lot of like minded hunters and outdoors-men here. I am in the USAF. I grew up in OH which only allowed its 5 day deer season to be hunted with shotguns so I didn't start rifle hunting until my mid twenties. I purchased a Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather in 7mm-08 which I love tremendously. Currently I am looking into reloading and wrestling with which starter kits offer the best quality product with most versatile use, and my second thought is attempting to buy a Short action CXP3 rifle but I can't decide on caliber.

DSC_0816_zps2d07dce3.jpg

DSC_0820_zps0d2049a0.jpg

In short, I'm happy to be a part of this group and look forward to learning as much as I can.

-Joe

Welcome Joe and all the other new guys. I would say RCBS makes a great kit and so does Redding so either would be great for you. I'm still using my RCBS Reloader Special 5 kit bought over 20 years ago and it is as good as the day I bought it. Both of those companies have a great reputation for customer service especially RCBS. You 7mm-08 is very versatile, if you want another short action gun the 223 or 22-250 would be great on the small side for varmints or maybe a 338 Federal or 358 Win if you want a thumper. A 300 or 325 WSM would be a short powerhouse too and would be something to think about. A long action opens up a lot more possibilities.

Joe,

Welcome aboard. You'll definitely find a good group of people posting here. The moderators are first rate, maintain a tight ship. You did pick up an excellent rifle. As for reloading kits, there really aren't any bad ones commonly available. I've sold quite a few of the RCBS Rock Chucker kits and the Redding kits; either is great for the new hand loader. Just ask, and there are plenty of people willing to assist. Again, welcome aboard. Consequently, how did that porker taste? :grin:

The pig was pretty good, lean but good. I hit him at about 70 yard with a 139 Hornady SST. One of the shoulders wasn't usable but the rest of him tasted just fine. Not to jump into the forum and sound like a fanboy, but I really am impressed with the 7mm-08 every time I hunt with it. I was able to find some great game recipes for the pork.

Welcome Joe -
I have a 7-08 built for mountain hunting (meaning light weight) that has accounted for more large game animals than any other caliber in the safe. The caliber really exploded after the 300 yard target shooters started winning matches with it on steel. It is a very under rated cartridge for big game, especially when good bullets are loaded. My son uses one as well for all his big game hunting.

Joel

Back