All new members enter here.

Welcome Joe, I just joined up myself.
Good looking hog! I'm considering 7mm08 myself, having fun researching for a gun for kids when they're up to it and I like that cartridge.
I was at Cabelas yesterday, they do have a decent reloading starter kit for sale $50 off or so right now, the RCBS RockChucker I think. O style press.

Midway has some rebates listed for Hornady reloaders, 500 free bullets. I've been thinking about that direction

Welcome aboard Joe! That's a great rifle and cartridge you have there.

Very nice pig too!

Hope to see you around here a bunch. Tons of great handloaders and hunters!

Welcome Aboard, Joe...

...the RCBS Partner Kit is a good value that will give you years of service, worth a look. Along w/ the experienced hunter & handloaders Scotty mentioned there are a few very experienced "enablers" that will have all kinds of "good" suggestions, along w/ the assorted curmudgeons, cranks, & iconoclasts. We try to help each other out. There's a lot of info available out there that wasn't just a few short years ago, there's a lot of experience & expertise right here, feel free to make use of it...

wildgene":1gyiudna said:
Welcome Aboard, Joe...

...the RCBS Partner Kit is a good value that will give you years of service, worth a look. Along w/ the experienced hunter & handloaders Scotty mentioned there are a few very experienced "enablers" that will have all kinds of "good" suggestions, along w/ the assorted curmudgeons, cranks, & iconoclasts. We try to help each other out. There's a lot of info available out there that wasn't just a few short years ago, there's a lot of experience & expertise right here, feel free to make use of it...

Yeah, beware of Gene. He ranks quite high among the enablers, cranks and curmudgeons. He's slipping, however; he still hasn't succeeded in getting Scotty to take the plunge on a 325WSM. :grin:

wildgene":1238wjy2 said:
Welcome Aboard, Joe...

No need in calling yourself out right away. I am sure he'll sort you out fast enough Gene! :lol:

SJB358":kfex8t9b said:
wildgene":kfex8t9b said:
Welcome Aboard, Joe...

No need in calling yourself out right away. I am sure he'll sort you out fast enough Gene! :lol:

Zing! High five

All these new shooters slipped-in when I wasn't awares :lol: .

Welcome to everyone. You'll like it here, as most of the old timers are just a little over the edge, but it ain't all bad!

Enjoy !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well I being looking around for several years, and finally join, and then looked around some more. I guess this is the place to tell eveyone about me. Had a 31 1/2 year military service, Started off in the Marine Corp Reserve in 1976, went to boot camp at diego in june 76, did 1 year and 10 day training and was release to E Battery 2/14 Marines at texarkana tx on june 10 1977. Served 6 year as a reservest. Met a girl and got married and when she gradulated from college, I started the paper work to go active duty. Well I when in nov 82 to Yuma air station, was there for 2 years, then went to school at 29 palms, after school I was tired of the desert and wanted to go east. Ended up at ELMACO 2nd FSSG Camp LeJuene. Did 2 med floats in the last 80's, and then went to 8th Marine Regt. as the tech chief. just as Persian Gulf was fireing up. Didn't think we would go unless 2nd Mar Div went, they did and so did we. Got a Combat action ribbon out of that 4 day war.Then got caught up in Clintons reduction of force and found myself out of the Marine Corp in July 1993.
Well after messing around for 9 months and wanting to buy a bass boat, the wife came home and said she knew how I could get the boat, all I had to do was join the Arkansas National Guard. Well that didn't go over real well, cause I felt that the national guard was like the boy scout except they got to carry rifles. I guess I really wanted that boat because 2 weeks later I had my hand up in air saying I do. Best thing that ever happen to me because I got to go to work as federal technician. Earned two retirement, 1 for the guard and 1 for the technician program. Got promoted to SFC (e-7) and went to the 39 Inf Brig. 1 year later we headed to FT Hood and Ft. Polk for training to go to Iraq fo OF2. Left in 2003 and got back in 2005, turned 50 years old there and earn a Combat Action Badge. Tried to stay in for the second trip in 2007, but the doc caught my bad lower back, and said I can't go. NGB policy was non deporable you can't stay in . So I retired for medical reason with a little over 31 years fo service.
Well that enough about me, now about my rifle is's a Ruger m77 mkii, restocked with a Richards Mico Fit stock, Timmey tigger, rebarreled with a McGowen 26" barrel in 280 Ackley Improved with a Dougals number 7 taper. Shoots 139 gr Hormady SST real well, with 62.5 gr. of RL-22 last 10 shots avg 3169, with a extreme spread of 38 fps. That's with new Nolser brass and CCI 200 primers, right now bullet depth is .025 off lands and will group around a 1/2 moa at 200 yds when the nut behind the but does his job.
Oh by the way I did all the work on the rifle including the rebarrel, McGowen has short chamber barrels so I order 1 and rent the reamers, go gage and no go gage. Built a barrel vice and on the flat sided ruger you can used a real big crescent like 24 " big. Use a depth gage to determine that I had .003 crush factor. Put it together and the go gage went in find and the no go gage didn't. Don't know if that will happen on the next one or not, so maybe I just got lucky. Cost was around 350 to 360 for barrel and renting the reamer and gages. So to answer somebody question in a thread about rebarreling cost, yes it can be done relativity cheap.

Thanks for letting me rant
BuddyT

Welcome aboard, Buddy. Good to have you. Sounds like a great build on your rifle. When you get a chance, give us a picture or two. Again, welcome aboard.

Hello Everyone!
Some may have already heard of me, without even knowing it.
My name is Gil, and I have been Dr. Mike's "trusty native guide" for the past 13 years or so.
And I made a promise to his wife Lynda several years ago, that I would always see him safely returned home from our hunting and fishing adventures (although I don't rightly recall whether or not he had to be in one piece or not!) LOL
I have had a lot of fun with Mike over the years, and was there when he harvested his first grizzly, elk, bison and whitetail.
I have been fishing since I was 3, and hunting small game and shooting since I was 8. I took my first big game animal at 15 (whitetail doe with my grandfather's Marlin 30-30).
I was first introduced to reloading in 1989 by a friend, and have enjoyed it a great deal. I have managed to create some accurate loads for some of my rifles over the years, and hope to continue learning the finer points of this great past-time. I have some neat rifles that are begging for me to get to them (250 AI, 260 Rem, 6.5 x 284 Norma and 416 Taylor). Over the years I have loaded for the 6.5x55, 270 Win, 270 Wby, 270 WSM, 280 Rem, 7mm Rem Mag, 300 WSM, 338-06, 338 Win Mag, 358 Win, 375 Win, 376 Steyr and 416 Taylor.
Being a left-handed shooter, most of the rifles that I now have or desire are customs. I currently have custom Remington's in 300 WSM, 338-06, 250 AI, 280 Rem, and custom Rugers in 376 Steyr (Mannlicher stock)and 416 Taylor, and a Browning 1885 in 270 Wby. My wish list still consists of a lever action 414 Super Mag, a matched set of 6.5 x 55 and 9.3 x 62 Mausers, and another Browning Hi Wall in 225 Win.
In 2003 I got into archery, and have spent a lot of time over the past 10 years learning that sport, including working as a bowtech in local sporting goods stores for 4 years. I introduced my wife to the sport as well, and in 2012 we both won gold at the Canadian 3D Indoor Championships in our respective traditional classes shooting recurve bows. We both also shoot longbows, and I also shoot compound bows as well.
Over the years I have harvested whitetail and mule deer, moose, elk, caribou, bison, black and grizzly bear, pronghorn, mountain goat, rocky mountain bighorn and stone's sheep, lynx, wolf and coyote with the rifle. I have harvested whitetail and mule deer, moose and pronghorn with archery equipment.
My wife received a Steyr rifle in 7mm-08 as wedding present, and bought herself a Ruger Number 1 in 250 Savage, that she is eagerly waiting to get out and shoot. And can she shoot! (I have to be careful...she can shoot the rifle as well as she can shoot her bow!) She has now decided that she would like to hunt and wants to harvest a rocky mountain bighorn sheep first. Her dream is to harvest a sable in Africa!
My daughter is 18 and got a used Remington 700 Titanium in 270 Win for Christmas as her first rifle. She's already punching one inch groups with it! She harvested her first big game last year (mule deer...you can refer to Dr. Mike's story of the "Drum Buck" posted on this forum last September).
Anyways, that should cover enough of my history for now...
Hoping to learn lots here and to be able to share some good stories and helpful hints where I can.

You forgot to mention your .356. I'm hurt, hurt, I say, that you would forget.

Welcome aboard Gil.

Yeah, we have heard alot about you buddy.. Glad you are finally here to defend yourself. There is no way Mike had to bail you out of trouble THAT much... We figured that Mike must've been making up some tall tales. :lol:

It is great to have you aboard though. Can't wait to see more pictures from your family and Mike's hunts.

SJB358":d39d35x9 said:
Welcome aboard Gil.

Yeah, we have heard alot about you buddy.. Glad you are finally here to defend yourself. There is no way Mike had to bail you out of trouble THAT much... We figured that Mike must've been making up some tall tales. :lol:

It is great to have you aboard though. Can't wait to see more pictures from your family and Mike's hunts.

Yeah, I was compelled to offer the lad assistance more than I care to tell. :roll: Still, he's a good fellow. I admit he has harvested a few head of game. But, even a blind hog finds acorns sometimes. :mrgreen: He did find a good wife; and she can shoot.

Thanks guys!
Yes, my wife can shoot! And that and the fact that she does accompany us on some of our forays ought to keep us out of some trouble!
Yes, the good Dr. is known for his "slightly exaggerated" stories...I have often warned him that St. Peter is going to have a word or two for him when he gets to those pearly gates!
I should apologize to Mike, as he was very generous, and gave me a beautiful old Winchester Big Bore chambered in 356 Win a few years back . I failed to mention it above, as I have not hand loaded for it, and have a good supply of factory loads for it, so it is not on my list of rifles that still need load development at the moment. No offense intended Mike.
But somebody has to look after the old guy! After witnessing him shooting so many critters in the back end, I have come to realize that Mike hunts by brail! When he gets close enough to feel hind quarters and tails, and no teeth or horns that can hurt him, he starts shooting. Must admit that for an old guy, his stalking skills are improving, but there is a reason why he has to reload so much!
I jest though...the good Dr. is a pretty good shot. It is not often that his intended target does not make it into the freezer. And I have learned a lot about reloading from him.

Now, play nice, Gil. I still have a few stories about your hunting prowess. I promise not to tell how you honk at mulies before you try to stick them with a pointy stick; it would only embarrass you.

Recently joined but have lurked for a while so thought I'd say howdy. I was born at a young age in a wee small town far, far away; Meadville, PA actually. Currently live in a small town close to the Smoky's - and plan on never leaving. 'Winter' down here is what we called fall in Pennsylvania. Sunny and 45 all winter has become one of my favorite times to be alive in Tennessee. I've been married for 20+ years and have 4 kids. We hike in the Smoky's 2-3 weekends per month, especially in the winter. Its a good 10-15 degrees cooler in the Smoky's in the summer than at the house so we spend much time there as well. About the only time we don't spend alot of time in the Smoky's is during the fall when I'm inviting critters to come by for dinner. They're the main course but lets keep that to ourself...........

I've recently did a completely non-rifle looney act, and hope to retain my man card - I downsized my rifle collection. :oops: I didn't see the need for a bunch of rifles that sat in the safe. I've narrowed my arsenal to M70's and M77's, all SS and plastic, in 243, 7 WSM, 30-06, 300 WSM, 35 Whelen, 375 Ruger. There is a bit of overlap but think I have everything covered that I'm likely to hunt the remainder of my life with those calibers and rifles. I tend to dedicate a bullet/rifle combo for a certain application. I shoot Nosler bullets, mostly Partitions, almost exclusively. The only exception at the moment is the M77 UL 30-06 - it loves Hornady 150 SP. I keep it fed well with them. Killed 2 decent size WT bucks last year with that combo.

I hunt elk in Colorado every year and have gotten a few nice bulls for public land elk. I usually hunt TN and PA for deer and manage to invite several home for dinner every year. I've discovered hunting mountain deer in east Tennessee has been a challenge but did manage to kill a nice 8 pt last year. Forgot my pack frame and ended up dragging it 1+ miles down over the mountain to the truck. It was about as much fun as it sounds. Shot it at ~ 8AM chasing a doe and hit the truck at 1:30. Bet I don't forget the pack frame again.

I've been known to fish a bit for SM bass, trout, and walleyes. Tailwater trout in east Tennessee has been a pleasant discovery, especially with a flyrod. Walleyes have been a bit scarce but have managed to find a few smallies. I grew up fishing Lake Erie for both walleyes and SM bass. Its hard to compare other places to Lake Erie. Catching a 5 lb smallie in 20+ feet of water on 4-6 lb test has to rank right up there for fun. Have caught a bunch of Steelhead in Erie tributaries - before it became fashionable and crowded. Can't get too excited about fishing shoulder to shoulder.

I've come to the conclusion that Nosler shooters are a pretty good lot to thrown in with. I've shot more than a few animals with Nosler bullets and have found them to be the example Premium bullet. Others may penetrate a bit deeper, expand wider, shoot flatter but they do many things well and cover 90+% of my hunting needs. Now if they just put more 7mm 160 AB's, 30 cal 180 PT, 35 cal 250 Pt, and 375 cal 300 PT on SPS website at the same time, I'd have to get a bigger delivery truck.

Plagioclase, welcome to the board. This is a very helpful and supportive place to be. I hope that you find what you need here or any help that you are looking for?
Charlie

Back