Nosler 48 connects again...and again.

show us a picture or 2 or your rig as it is for sure a fine shooter couple nice kills i would love to see that fine rig :mrgreen:

Terry- here you go. This is from a few years ago when I had a 6x Leupold on it. I'm using a Zeiss Conquest on it now…and it's got more scratches…uh.. I mean "experience".

You sure are filling the freezer, with some fine eating meat for sure!! Really nice looking rig but man what an area you have to hunt ! That is awesome looking and would never get old I bet unless ya run outta fire wood :shock: I think I would like one of those in say 30-06 which is unusual for me as I own mostly magnums! Nice piece of furniture would work as well !! Congrats on all the harvest and a fine rifle as well and being a good shot helps :lol: was looking at your location and I bet you have a mess of fish to deal with as well ! Lotta water all around ya and what a great place to raise kids! Really looks like a place I would have enjoyed growing up !!

Since this is a hunting/shooting forum I rarely talk about fish….but the fishing here is superb- red salmon from the Copper, grayling in the Clearwater, trout and pike everywhere. We also head to Valdez every summer for halibut and ling cod.Some years my freezer has more fish than red meat- which means it's either been a great year fishing or a lousy year hunting!

I've enjoyed my M48 so much I recommend everyone have at least one- in any chamber they choose. Hunting hard with a well built rifle is one of life's better joys in my estimation.

I've been prowling around up here for 15 years now. It's a tough place but beautiful and the outdoors opportunities are endless. I can literally hunt something 365 days a year….pretty sweet considering where and when I grew up rifle deer season was only a week long.

I have friends in Anchorage and Wasilla and they are enjoying their time in Alaska but I think my Weatherby collection deserves some Alaska time but stuck here in the high desert of NM. My friend in Colorado has been limiting out every day recently on 18" and above walleye's and he is trying to Elk hunt and fish at the same time and the fishing is winning that battle as the keepers are hard to catch in the reservoir he fishes . Sounds like fishing is a lotta fun as my friend has invited me up as he has an Argo and a big float boat and he needs someone to help him and we both are originally from Arkansas! Lotta fishing experience as I was growing up and hunting as well, my BIL only eats venison all year long in southern Arkansas!! you get 6 deer per person and his whole family hunts so his freezer is full and the sink has deer meat in milk just about every night :| :mrgreen:
I feel a TGR could be in the cards as I picked up a catalog recently but no place has any to look at so I guess a special order will be a must? $$ :grin:

The only place I've seen TGRs in stock is Sportsmans Warehouse…and only one at that.

I'm sure Shawn can put you on one though.

Yepper that young man has been speaking with me for sure and I have seen 3 at Sportsman's but I think I will go with wood as I am low on wood and like their wood a lot :) Sportsman's can't sell them here in NM for 1999.00 ??

2014 got off to a good start.

Perhaps the best (or worst) shot of my life. 350 yds... 45-50deg uphill angle. 10 minutes to dark.

First shot hit the liver, 2nd shot after the caribou took of running hit the spine and dropped her like a rock.

Those are the types of reports we all enjoy reading. Hey, I'd rather be lucky than good any day. :grin: Most luck comes from practise, practise, practise.

Very nice! Gotta love the early start on filling freezers. What's up next Hodgeman?

Caribou in your area would by now have the word spread that coming near your coordinates is unhealthy for them ! But good for you as I am guessing that it makes a fine compliment to 40 weight gravy? :) fried tatters!

DrMike":2bykisrf said:
Those are the types of reports we all enjoy reading. Hey, I'd rather be lucky than good any day. :grin: Most luck comes from practise, practise, practise.

I agree... I've got a lot of confidence in the rifle and that helps. I've got a Browning .270 that is actually a "more accurate" rifle...that I'd never have tried the shot with.

SJB358":juzdwge9 said:
What's up next Hodgeman?

More caribou next weekend and we're going to chase moose in late Sept.

Sounds like I need a Nosler rifle in some variation myself. Now if they would chamber in 6mm Remington, it might make by heart flutter!! I'm just saying Nosler, are you folks listening. Even if you don't chamber for it, it would be nice of you folks to turn out brass and loaded ammunition for this very classy caliber!! :mrgreen: :grin:

Very nice caribou and write-up!

Back