Nosler 48 connects again...and again.

6mm Remington":1umfrgpv said:
Sounds like I need a Nosler rifle in some variation myself. Now if they would chamber in 6mm Remington, it might make by heart flutter!! I'm just saying Nosler, are you folks listening. Even if you don't chamber for it, it would be nice of you folks to turn out brass and loaded ammunition for this very classy caliber!! :mrgreen: :grin:

Very nice caribou and write-up!

I couldn't resist a 6mm Remington with a 1-8 twist in a Nosler Patriot either David. I think it'd be a super rifle for a lot of hunting. I am very surprised they haven't listed it since the 257 is there. Wouldn't take much I bet.

Hmmmm! David may be onto something. Yeah, I could be enticed, I suspect.

Well the hunting heated up and the caribou finally started moving....

For my well worn Nosler...this big cow at 150yds from prone on a pressure ridge represented something of a "chip shot". Bang...Flop.

She should provide some fine dining for your family. Congratulations.

I'm curious guys, how do caribou compare to other wild game? Anything similar? From what they eat I would think they would be very mild.

6mm Remington":34307p4a said:
I'm curious guys, how do caribou compare to other wild game? Anything similar? From what they eat I would think they would be very mild.

The other wild game that I most compare them to are elk- very mild, very lean and fine grained. Far milder flavored than whitetail deer and far finer grained than moose or mule deer.

That statement does not apply to bulls in rut- those are inedible. I often talk to people who report they hate caribou and almost every one shot a giant bull in late Sept. <bleh>

My one caribou so far was a medium sized bull shot in late August and it is some of the very best meat I have ever eaten regardless of species. Like was said above problems arise when bulls are shot in the rut.

Nice setup Hodgeman, great report on the rifle and delicious caribou steaks each year as well!

I've enjoyed caribou on several occasions. I tend to compare to elk and/or mule deer.

Congrats, again! :grin:

Re the taste, when I was in Norway, reindeer (essentially a domesticated caribou I believe) was served for breakfast. All the Norwegians were watching me, the American, to see how I handled reindeer steaks for breakfast.

Hah! Little did they know that they had a hunter in their midst and I relish the flavor of venison! Reindeer steaks for breakfast were GREAT! We had some good conversations after I was done cleaning my plate.

Congrats on the caribou, and yes that Nosler rifle is earning it's keep. No doubt.

Regards, Guy

Hodgeman, you have this Caribou hunting down to a fine science :wink:. That is the one hunt that I would really like to try before my hunting days are behind me!
I would love to get a big bull :) if I had two tags. If it was a one tag hunt I would be going for meat.
Thanks you for the stories and photos I really enjoy them :mrgreen:!!

Blessings,
Dan

Sask boy.... there isn't as much science to it as its persistence. Just gotta keep going after them till they decide to play ball.

Bulls are fine eating if you get one before about the middle of Sept and an Aug bull taken in the alpine while in full velvet is a sublime animal in regards to appearance and taste. Those early caribou are my favorite.

I came across this photo of another caribou I took with the M48....this one I should have left alone. The shooting was easy...100yd shot with the 180AB that took out both lungs and the heart...died in his tracks. I had a fixed 6x on the rifle then and will likely return to one eventually.

I shot it late in the season and it was hanging with a big group of cows. I actually shot it after it cut a group of 4 cows from a larger herd and swam a mile across a lake with them.

He wasn't fully in rut, but he was getting there. The meat was strong flavored...it was eaten, but it wasn't the best venison we've ever had. I

And that's the downside of caribou in my AO--the season is during the rut, unless I am willing to go quite a bit farther. Consequently, I've avoided the hunt, focusing on other game.

Dr. Mike- if I had to hunt the rut I'd likely just quit hunting them too. They can get really rough tasting then.

Actually, here in AK the season shuts down for the rut in late Sept and reopens for the winter hunt in late Oct.

hodgeman":pahc3cga said:
Dr. Mike- if I had to hunt the rut I'd likely just quit hunting them too. They can get really rough tasting then.

Actually, here in AK the season shuts down for the rut in late Sept and reopens for the winter hunt in late Oct.

For some reason, in my zone they hunt during the October rut. Sure dampens my interest.

Great pictures! Man, I remember eating my caribou from a couple 20 years ago and loved it, but then again, like Guy, I will eat just about anything put in front of me!

2015 started off with a bang. We had this little guy wander through caribou camp over the weekend.... a very short stalk later and I made a 40 yard shot. Never knew what hit him...the 300 was definitely overkill. But overkill still winds up in the freezer..

Not the biggest one I've ever shot, but mini sized are usually maxi tasty. A bonus we didn't shoot one in the snow, the negative is the biting gnats were ferocious Tenderloin over campfire and a very early season aurora overhead may just be the best meal ever.

Attachments

• 2015bou.jpg
    2015bou.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 3,875
Back