Neck Sizing

HeathSexton

Handloader
May 12, 2006
I am going to try to load for my .358 Win and I was wondering if I should neck size or full length size? The shells will only be used in my .358, so I would think neck sizing would be better as it will be to my chamber, are there any disadvantages? I am new at this.

Thanks

It's my personal preference never to hunt with neck sized ammo so I rarely neck size. If you are near full tilt loads you'll probably find resistance to chambering after 1-2 neck sizing's and have to fl size anyhow. If you set your fl die up to barely move the shoulder back just enough for easier chambering you'll gain the benefit of longer brass life and you can be condfident you will chamber like butter in the field. I will be extremely shocked if you get any change in accuracy by neck sizing your cases vrs a good set up of a FL die.
These are my personal preferences and others may think different but I own lots of lee collet neck dies, some redding body dies, and plenty of FL dies. Some of my best shooting guns use brass that was Full length sized.

Repetative neck sizing usually results in the brass eventually becoming too tight for smooth chambering. Hot loads will cause this to happen faster than mild loads. Periodically you will need to full length resize.

It might be a good idea to start out with full-length dies and only size the cases as much as necessary. It takes a bit of trial & error to get it right. Another method would be to get an OAL gauge (like the Stoney Point OAL gauge) and try adjusting your dies just enough to push the shoulders of a fired case back by about .002". This way you don't over work your brass in the resizing process but still have reloads that chamber easily.

Charlie-NY":1rnwn4hz said:
Repetative neck sizing usually results in the brass eventually becoming too tight for smooth chambering. Hot loads will cause this to happen faster than mild loads. Periodically you will need to full length resize.

It might be a good idea to start out with full-length dies and only size the cases as much as necessary. It takes a bit of trial & error to get it right. Another method would be to get an OAL gauge (like the Stoney Point OAL gauge) and try adjusting your dies just enough to push the shoulders of a fired case back by about .002". This way you don't over work your brass in the resizing process but still have reloads that chamber easily.

+1

If you are shooting something other than a bolt, I would suggest you full length all hunting loads to ensure smooth feeding.

JD338

The gun is a BLR, so I guess I may might have had some problems. Never thought about the difficulty loading in the field, this will be my first experience outside of a lee loader. :) I am going to keep reading and try not to blow myself up.

Also, since it is a BLR, should I get the Lee Pace setter set and factory crimp die as well, or should I buy the RCBS with the built in roll crimp? Sorry for the noob questions, but I am totally new to this stuff.

Thanks for the info.

You don't need to crimp at all. Think of the blr as a bolt action only a lever chambers them instead of a bolt. I've had a couple blr's and they would all shoot with the bolt actions. Time to get away from lee dies. The collet die is good.....the fl dies......I've not had good luck making straight ammo with them and the o-ring the use at the bottom of the lock ring makes it almost impossible to control headspace without a tool to measure it.
I'll get roasted for this but I'll take Hornady dies over all other cheap ones. If you want to spend a bit more money my preference will be forester and then redding as a second choice.

I use RCBS FL dies. The only problem I have ever had, was I did not have my sizing die set correctly and reloading 338 win mag, the darn bolt was hard to close but it would close. Talked to my dad, figured it out and have not had a problem since. I have looked a the redding dies but have not gotten any.

I usually neck size everything except the big supermags.

How much longer do cases last when neck sizing when compared to full length sizing? Accuracy is THERE with full length sizing, but I have a new neck sizing die sitting next to me and wonder if there is even a reason to use it?

Jim

HeathSexton":3qrmat14 said:
The gun is a BLR, so I guess I may might have had some problems. Never thought about the difficulty loading in the field, this will be my first experience outside of a lee loader. :) I am going to keep reading and try not to blow myself up.

Also, since it is a BLR, should I get the Lee Pace setter set and factory crimp die as well, or should I buy the RCBS with the built in roll crimp? Sorry for the noob questions, but I am totally new to this stuff.
I load H4895 for both the 200gr Hornady Spire Point and Rem 200gr Pointed CoreLokt and for the Nosler 225 Partition. Velocity is great for my 20.5" barrel as is the accurcy is too. I had issues getting enough Varget in the case and still holding the OCL. I use Hornady dies and the Lee Factory crimp die. My guns a bolt but I back off the die to only parcialy size the cases. I all ways check to make sure the rounds chamber with ease.

The best accurcy for my gun was with 46.0grs of H4895 with the 200gr bullets, Lee factory crimp on the cannalure, and for my gun .030 to the lands. Velocity is 2488fps @ 70F and clover leaves @ 100yards. This is 2.7grs under max listed load and over its listed velocity (hornady)

Thanks for the help. I was going to ask about Varget as I have some laying around, I am going to try some IMR 4064 and some H4895 also.

Thanks again.

Got my first batch loaded, I went with 47grs of H4895 instead of 46, why I don't know. I am using a CCI 200 primer, should I have a Mag Primer in that load?

Win .308 Brass necked up to .358
47grs H4895
CCI 200 Primer
Hornady 200gr PSP
OAL: 2.673

I have no idea how to find out how far anything is off the lands. Do I need gauges? The loads I am shooting now are 2.800 OAL, I ran the ones I just loaded through the guns several times and they functioned smoothly. I did not crimp as the cannalure is above the case mouth just slightly, should I seat the bullets deeper and roll crimp?

Shoot I just shoot this batch and see how they do before I change anything?

Thanks!

Back