.30-06 & 220 gr Nosler Partition

That sounds like some fun right there Guy. I wanna good around with the 175's in my boys 7x57 Mauser. Those should be some sweet looking rounds all loaded up. Thinking I could get some decent speeds out of them as well.

Thanks for bringing this thread up again Guy, that is one serious bullet for big game. I bet in your new Rem CDL you could get it going a lot faster :)

We used to get into the 2600fps areana with two different loadings back in the day . I had a Styer Manlicher " Professional" at the time with a metric length barrel that was either just over or under the standard 24" American lengths........................... both 55.4grs of 4350 and 56.6gr of 4831 would get the 2600fps so it is certainly possible out of that gun anyway. I have fired some of those old loadings out of my Win Model 70 ATR but never chronographed any to see how much vel loss for the 2" shorter barrel ????? Moose hit with this load usually go straight down if you hit them correctly and it shoots right thru any Black Bear except on an end for end shot...................
If I didn't have my 35 Whelen it would be a go to load for Moose for me outta my 06 :idea:

35 Whelen":wb58b8vb said:
If I didn't have my 35 Whelen it would be a go to load for Moose for me outta my 06 :idea:

Me too I used this bullet in a 308 Norma Mag at over 2700 fps and it was an absolute hammer on black bears, too bad I never shot a moose with it before I went away from the caliber. One day I'll have to get a 30 cal rifle again.......

Well this test is proof positive exactly what old Ward Gay who owned the original Alaska Safari for about 50 years used to tell hunters all the time..............
When they would call to book a hunt and start talking about a new "magnum" gun to come to Alaska with he would always try to discourage them if they already had an 30/06 and his comment was "just bring a box of 220's " for your Grizzly and Moose and the 150's work perfect for everything else............................................................... simple as that .
It worked in the 1950's and it still works perfect in 2013, any Moose or Bear " hit correctly" with a 220gr bullet from a 30/06 is on his way outta this world , that's for certain.

SJB358":2bl0nwt2 said:
That sounds like some fun right there Guy. I wanna good around with the 175's in my boys 7x57 Mauser. Those should be some sweet looking rounds all loaded up. Thinking I could get some decent speeds out of them as well.

Scotty - did you ever load these up? I was thinking the same thing. I bet a 175 in a 7x57 would go in 7 or 8 jugs.

Palouser":36johlzk said:
SJB358":36johlzk said:

Scotty - did you ever load these up? I was thinking the same thing. I bet a 175 in a 7x57 would go in 7 or 8 jugs.

And Brian running a 220 gr PT from his 300 RUM into the jugs too. :mrgreen:

JD338

I haven't had the chance yet, but I'm due for some shooting and jug blasting soon!

I need to get a box of these and load some up in my 300H&H. My grandfather used them for moose when he worked with a railroad outfit up north. I still have a few laying around that he loaded. Pretty sweet combo with the old H&H!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought as well it is a perfect bullet for a 300 H&H, it would just look cool loaded up in that old case. It should be able to move out between 2600-2700 fps pretty easily and be a hammer on pretty much any game out there.

The 300 H&H is just cool :wink:! I love the old calibres and the uncommon the best. Getting hit with the 220gr Partitions out of the old 300 H&H would be the equivalent of being smacked upside the head by Thor's hammer.

Blessings,
Dan

Guy Miner":iev2hsvi said:
"What do you think a normal speed would be for them out of a 22-24" barrel? 2500-2600?"

The fastest load I see in Nosler's manual has RL-22 pushing them at 2602 fps - that seems pretty stout. None of the other powders break into the 2600 fps level.

My rifle has an old, well-worn barrel, only 21" long, so I'm not at all surprised with the 2380 fps velocity. I could see the old girl churning up 2500+ fps with the right load though.

A few years back I had 10 leftover 200 grain .308 caliber Accubonds left over from a loading project for a friend. I loaded them up with 56 grains of RL-22 with WLR primers and R-P cases. I clocked a 5-shot average of 2590 fps from the 24" barrel on my Model 70. I shot a deer with one of the remaining 5 bullets, through and through DRT.

Unfortunately I went back to lighter weight bullets (165-180) as where I hunt is usually more open allowing for 200-300 yards shots versus the closer ranges where I took that deer. My .308 (22") barrel clocks 2550 fps with 180 grain Factory Loads so I see the trajectory being very similar.

Dale

I can remember one time watching a hunter from Pa, hunting Grizzly bear with us out of Illiamna Ak, firing at a med sized bear (probably a 7.5/8 fter) with a 30/06 and 180gr bullets, he was hitting it behind the shoulder, like one might shoot a deer. Everytime he fired at the bear at 75 yds, I was seeing the dirt fly off the gravel bank 125yds away on the other side of Cheetok Stream. So its easy to get carried away with heavy bullets. On a big Alaskan Bull Moose or 9.5ft Brown Bear , running off, then the 220's are perfect. On a broadside shot on a 700lb Elk, 800lb Canadian Moose, or 400 lb Black Bear , a 180gr bullet will get it done everytime.......... guides like heavy bullets when backing up the sport, but their shots is usually when the animal is exiting the scene of the accident! Running away where the only
Chance you have is the "texas heart shot". Just food for thought. I used to carry 220gr Noslers and 250gr Barnes for my 30 Whelen when we guided in tge Brooks Range for sheep, and more than once I had to fire in front of a grizzly that would not stop following me while packing sheep off the mountain. Usually a younger bear having trouble finding enough to eat. However I did try a few sheep with those heavy bullets and found them to be hopeless on rams, when hit behind the shoulder , they acted lije they were not hit at all mas the bullets just passed thru ,without expending hardly any of the energy into the sheep....... exit holes looked , same as entry holes. So to stop a charging grizzly they would probably be fine, I sure wouldnt reach for 220gr bullets for anything under 500 lbs........... just sayin.
Now I wish I had had my 25/06 back in those days as I recon it would be perfect for "snow sheep"
E

E - thanks for adding to this! I've never used the .30 cal, 220 gr bullet on game.

I think with all that bullet, I'd target the shoulder itself, if possible.

Guy

Spot on again Guy, being able to place that big thumper in the right spot will have everything to do with how effective it works. There is a young fella here local that hired on to pack moose meat for us a few years back, he watched me fold up a big bull, that was getting away after being very poorly hit with a 300 mag, he decided to hunt with a 35 Whelen which I told him will pretty much duplicate the .338 with good bullets and handloads.
Now he is hunting deer with it, using 250gr bullets and firing at running bucks........... hiting them everwhere but where you should............ he now thinks that a 35 Whelen isnt all its cracked up to be , and is telling around he may buy a 375 Ruger! OMG........ Talk about using to heavy a bullet for the game your hunting. :!: :?

Well, I finally made it out to shoot the new 30-06 just to run a few loads over the chronograph and rough sight it in. Shot some 165's, 180's and the 220 gr Partition starting low and working up to max one round at a time.

Some old 20 year+ Hercules RL 22 has been waiting for just such an occasion and I thought it would be perfect for the 220 gr Partition. Nosler lists 2602 fps with their max charge of 57 gr, my one round chronographed 2479 fps from the 22.4" barrel of my Sako, corrected to the muzzle the speed would have been almost 2500 fps.

Got 3 rounds of 57gr and 3 of 57.5 gr loaded up to test for accuracy sometime next week. I'm thrilled to be able to shoot the great 220 gr Partition again, would love to be able to shoot a moose or grizzly with them this fall :)

Got to say the 220 gr PT smashed the rock I was aiming at a lot harder than the lighter bullets....... :)

Good Gawd,

2500 fps would be more than PLENTY with that projectile!

Would like to know what it WOULDN'T kill?

I'd say that the 220 grain Partition at 2500 fps at the muzzle will be a hammer on moose and/or grizzly in the fall. Excellent, Gerry.

Back