265gr InterLock from 444 Marlin

wisconsinteacher

Handloader
Dec 2, 2010
I think this will do well in the deer woods of Northern WI. I did find one small flake of the jacket in the same jug as the rest of the bullet.

Load Data:
Hornady 265 Interlock
CCI 200 Primer
R-P Brass
H4198/47.0 grains
COAL-2.586"
5/8 crimp with Lee Crimp Die

Rifle is a Marlin with a 1-4 Leupold

Oh, yeah, that'll do for deer (or a whole lot of other game). I am a little surprised it didn't penetrate deeper.

That would spill a lot of blood on the ground. Not sure anything would run far but a nice blood trail is fun to follow! :grin:

wisconsinteacher":3i9u2169 said:
I think this will do well in the deer woods of Northern WI. I did find one small flake of the jacket in the same jug as the rest of the bullet.

your load?

Hi Wisconsinteacher, Yes, that will work. What rifle are you using with what kind of groups?

The XLR I have does best with the 265 FTX it was designed for; 1 moa and devastating. Took a Bull Elk on the trot at 250 yards. Mine carries a Leupold FX-6 and it is a right handy rifle.

My hand loads duplicate factory performance. The over max compressed loads I tried were faster than factory with no signs of over pressure, but they were less accurate so I am sticking with 47.7 grains of A1680.

Good luck on your hunt.

Whitesheep":2y74039v said:
Hi Wisconsinteacher, Yes, that will work. What rifle are you using with what kind of groups?

The XLR I have does best with the 265 FTX it was designed for; 1 moa and devastating. Took a Bull Elk on the trot at 250 yards. Mine carries a Leupold FX-6 and it is a right handy rifle.

My hand loads duplicate factory performance. The over max compressed loads I tried were faster than factory with no signs of over pressure, but they were less accurate so I am sticking with 47.7 grains of A1680.

Good luck on your hunt.

Sounds like a sweet set up. Do you mean the FX3 6X? If so I can understand why you like it so much. I've got one on my Mashburn and can't help but want another one.

Yes, you are correct, the current model designation is FX-3 6x with the 42mm objective. I think Leuplold changed the name of their fixed power scope line awhile back and mine is the older one.

I liked the handiness of the fixed power scope so much on the .444 I put a 4x on my .222 Mag AI Javalina rig. For short and mid range hunting rifles I believe it is hard to beat the ease of use, ruggedness and cost vs. quality point of a fixed power scope.

Back