Handloader
Aug 20, 2006
338 Win Mag

225gr Swift A frame
338 Win Mag
Taken from Moose
300 yards

That is one hard bonded bullet

99.2% weight retention and the moose absorbed the full energy.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    207 KB · Views: 2,205
The A-Frame is indeed a heavy duty bullet. I like them a lot. Great recovery.

Great recovery. What was the start speed on it?

Those Swifts are great bullets.

71.0 of IMR 4350
WW brass and Fed 215GM

2750fps

Not a + P load but very accurate

Alaska":wkusoksb said:
71.0 of IMR 4350
WW brass and Fed 215GM

2700 fps

Not a + P load but very accurate

Got ya. I'd like to try them. Might grab some and see how they shoot along with the BBCs. They seem very similar in profile.

Please don't shoot the BBC
You will never be able to replace them

The man that made them has died.

When Swift bullets first came out , we where using BBC in the old 375. He asked us to try his bullets on Alaskan Brownies,
And Moose and send him back the recovered bullets with as much data as we could. I tryed them first on a favorite test a common 12 volt truck battery, and found them to get wicked penatration. We also used to soak up the Anchorage phone books and Duct tape them togeather. We found their performance to be simalar.He told me he paid a neighbor to test them on big beef critters! So I guess a shoulder shot bull, would be a darn good testing standard for any kinda bullet.........

That is a cool story ........I really like the weight retention, but that BBC expansion is impressive .........along with weight retention.

I understand it was a one man operation I will be retired in a few years and will have a lot of time. I would like to make the BBC again.........for hunters.

That is a nice looking bullet and a great recovery.
I always liked the 275 gr and think it would be a real heavy hitter in the 338 RUM.

JD338

08 Sep 2017
70 yards
Same 338 Win Mag and load with the 225gr Swift A Frame
The bullet went to the next zip code.

Only 2 hours of hunting for the whole season, seen 3 bulls and 1 cow, picked the smallest bull from the 3 to harvest. I sneaked into their bedroom :)

Nosler Brass
Fed 215GM primers
IMR 4350 @ 71.0
225gr A Frame Swift

Christensen Arms 338 Win
Leupold 3.5x10 BC
Warne Bases and Warne QR Rings

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,794
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    280.8 KB · Views: 1,783
The A-Frame clearly still works on big animals. Excellent moose; congratulations.

Very cool! Looks like it stoned him!

I never saw the part about making BBCs... I'd like a 100 more of the 225's myself. Haven't taken any game with them yet, but it's coming. The smaller calibers work REALLY well.

Back