180gr Win Power Point VS. African Plains Game and Red Stag

Reaper1

Beginner
Jan 3, 2016
These bullets were recovered from Eland, Oryx and Red Stag.
Impact ranges were from 30 to 70 yards. All shots were broadside in the heart lung area.
Bullets recovered from the Oryx and Red Stag were recovered right under the hide on off side (bulges were noticeable). However they didn't quite make it that far on the Eland (needed another couple of inches of penetration to exit).

180 Grain Winchester Power Point.
.30-06 Zastava Mark X
MV: approx 2800 FPS

Attachments

• 20151002_184156.jpg
    20151002_184156.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 3,243
  • 20151002_184221.jpg
    20151002_184221.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 3,243
Nothing wrong at all with those bullets. Might have to give them a good look in my 30-06.

Gerry,
Agreed. I'm a fan of using standard cup and core bullets in non-magnums. Just don't think they're required, unless hunting DG.
This is the only bullet I will use in my '06. Averaging about 75% weight retention in my experience, it would make a great elk and even moose bullet.

I do believe a lot of elk and moose fall to that bullet each year in this province........

The 180gr cup and core bullet has probably been responsible for more big game kills than any other bullet (save the 170gr from the .30-30).

Goes to prove that in standard cartridges the old standby cup-and-core bullets still deliver the goods. I've used a lot of power points in my rifles over the years.

Wow, pretty good performance for a cup and core bullet 8) ..I shoot them out of my 300 win mag for target practice, looks like a good hunting bullet I must say,

Lou

Those look very good from the 06. Hard to argue with that sorta performance.

I remember a chart many years ago before all the fancy bullets came out. The good old Winchester performed like that in the charts and apparently has ever since.... absolutely one of the best non premium bullets out there.

Shot 'em for a few years in my 308, until I made the switch to a 7mm/08. (only thing that rifle would group) I have 1st hand knowledge that whitetails Feared Me ! 180 Win PP's put a lot of meals on my family's table.

This is an older thread but Id lilke to comment.

I think the WW power point is probably the best cup and draw bullet ever made for hunting. The brass jacket w copper coating is much more ductile than most copper jackets and supports the mushroom. Jacket thickness at heel is around 0.049 inch, 50% more than heaviest Sierra jacket (375 h and h).

Old style now days for sure. Not a super high BC, but it has been a great bullet for me in 308 winchester, 7mm mag, and 375 h and h.

I still have a pile of 50 round boxes of component 270 grain bullets in 375 and loaded ammo in 308 I will never get through in my life time. I carried 150 grain WW power points in my FN LAR whenever going in harms way.

I agree that the PP has always performed well for me. I like it better than a the silvertip, as it has proven to be more consistent in accuracy and penetration in various rifles over the years and on game. My 300 WSM likes it (1/2 MOA) and the moose, elk and bears that it has harvested couldn't tell that they weren't shot with a more expensive bullet!

Interesting, I mostly used the old Hornady inner locks for my rifles till I discovered SPS and found I could by premium bullets at a good price and never had a problem with accuracy or stopping performance with them.

andrewctillman":abh5muzu said:
This is an older thread but Id lilke to comment.

I think the WW power point is probably the best cup and draw bullet ever made for hunting. The brass jacket w copper coating is much more ductile than most copper jackets and supports the mushroom. Jacket thickness at heel is around 0.049 inch, 50% more than heaviest Sierra jacket (375 h and h).

Old style now days for sure. Not a super high BC, but it has been a great bullet for me in 308 winchester, 7mm mag, and 375 h and h.

I still have a pile of 50 round boxes of component 270 grain bullets in 375 and loaded ammo in 308 I will never get through in my life time. I carried 150 grain WW power points in my FN LAR whenever going in harms way.

The 180 PP has taken quite a few deer from the 30-06 where I come from. Have a bud that loves them in their 300 Win.

Back