Let's see those long-range hunting rifles!

Here is mine. I just joined this forum, and this is my first post here. I also just started reloading my own bullets. I hope to learn from you guys. It is the Rem 700 Sendero in 300 Win Mag with Leupold VX6 3x18x50mm with firedot reticle.

Attachments

• Meat Masher.jpg
    Meat Masher.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 3,682
Welcome aboard, Skeeter. What is the chambering on your handsome "meat masher?" Tell us a little about your setup.

300 Win Mag in Rem 700 Sendero with Leupold VX6 3x18x50mm. It is not a custom rifle, but I like it so far. I also have a 308 in the Rem700 Varmint SF. My 308 is by far the most accurate rifle I have ever owned. I hope to get my 300 shooting as good as my 308 by making my own bullets for it.

Senderos do produce some very accurate groups. I've pulled the trigger on more than a few, and all were fine firearms. The .308 never seems to be a poor choice for a shooter/hunter. The 300 Win Mag simply produces, despite the efforts to dis the cartridge by Internet ninjas. The VX6 is a fine scope; I have several on my rifles.

DrMike":7ft26zqu said:
Senderos do produce some very accurate groups. I've pulled the trigger on more than a few, and all were fine firearms. The .308 never seems to be a poor choice for a shooter/hunter. The 300 Win Mag simply produces, despite the efforts to dis the cartridge by Internet ninjas. The VX6 is a fine scope; I have several on my rifles.

Thanks. As you can see in the pic, the cheek piece is a Bradley cheek piece, and it works really well. I also have a Timney Elite 1lbs trigger on the rifle. Factory ammo in the rifle has been Ok so far...just OK. I think I can build a better bullet. I built my first bullets last weekend for my 308, and I found the sweet spot for it with one load. I ended up with 4 shots just making the first bullet hole a tad bit bigger every time I squeezed the trigger. That is what I want in the 300 as well. I might loose a couple pounds of meat from the 300 on a little ole whitetail in SC, but I won't be tracking many of them in the skeeters and briars. Most will bang and flop.

I have no doubt you will be able to make your 300 WM sing. You are correct that it will do a number on whitetails (or elk, or moose, or...). There are a number of people posting here who can give you some fine pointers to achieve the accuracy you seek. What bullet are you planning to use?

DrMike":2v9k46h3 said:
I have no doubt you will be able to make your 300 WM sing. You are correct that it will do a number on whitetails (or elk, or moose, or...). There are a number of people posting here who can give you some fine pointers to achieve the accuracy you seek. What bullet are you planning to use?

I'm going to start out with 168 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips (NBT). If that don't give me the accuracy I want, I'm moving up to the 180 grain NBT. 180 NBT and 79 grains of H1000 looks promising in the load data. I'm also going to test IMR4350 and IMR4831. Out of those three powders, one or more of them ought to be fast and accurate in my rifle.

I have no doubt you will get the accuracy. I would not be surprised, however, that the velocities generated with your cartridge may stress the Ballistic Tip pretty severely. Before moving up to a heavier Ballistic Tip, you might consider using either an AccuBond or a Partition. These are more robust bullets that will maintain integrity even when stressed in high velocity impacts on game.

DrMike":10vx4yfo said:
I have no doubt you will get the accuracy. I would not be surprised, however, that the velocities generated with your cartridge may stress the Ballistic Tip pretty severely. Before moving up to a heavier Ballistic Tip, you might consider using either an AccuBond or a Partition. These are more robust bullets that will maintain integrity even when stressed in high velocity impacts on game.

293 yards with a 150 grain NBT on this buck. He made it about 25 yards. The side in the pic is the exit hole. I didn't have any penetration problems with the 308. Of course the 300 is pushing it faster but not really that much faster. The updated design on the NBT's has fixed the problem of the past NBT's being too frangible. I'll test them. If I'm wrong, I'll be the first to admit it, and I have 150 grain and 165 grain Accubonds as well just in case :).

Attachments

• Big Buck.jpg
    Big Buck.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 3,645
Seems like you'd be a touch happier posing with a great buck like that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good looking bucks, to be sure. You do have reason to be pleased. Sounds as if you have a pretty good handle on the bullets to use with your 300 Win.

Consequently, that is a neat story. Sounds as if your neighbor is a good sport. (y) I agree that this is a crazy story ... but it does happen. :grin:

Thanks fellas. Last season was by far my best deer season ever in my life. Maybe 2016 will be good to me as well.

Great buck.. I wouldn't be afraid of the 180 BT on deer from a 300 mag. Pretty tough Bullet these days it seems.

Skeeter the Sendero is a fine rifle & I would have one in my safe if they made them in the left handed version :wink:.
I personally have never used BTs, but I sure can vouch for the Partition & AccuBond they are as good a bullet as any one the market (y).
Those are a couple of fine bucks thank you for posting.

Blessings,
Dan

The second furthest deer I've shot was with a 300RUM using 180 BT's. It was 813yds. Back then the BT's were made tougher in 180gr .30 caliber and up. All the lighter ones were pretty explosive. I needed the toughness since I was shooting them about 3350fps. I think the BT is a great design and would be better if they refined it a bit for a higher BC but they work pretty well as is.

Back