129 &142 ABLR slow and fast

muleman

Handloader
May 12, 2009
I ran the 129gr ABLR through my Creedmoor to verify performance both near and far today. It did well, just as I expected. The 142gr ABLR I only ran slow today. I'll let my 6.5WSM push it for the fast load since it'll be 400fps faster. I think the 129 is perfect out of the Creedmoor but might be a tad light for the magnums. 142gr ABLR looks to be some what more capable in the magnums. If I can find some Trailboss I'll test them even slower but I think they'll do just fine down to 1300fps as advertised.

Attachments

• IMG_0851.JPG
    IMG_0851.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 3,374
  • IMG_0855.JPG
    IMG_0855.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 3,374
Good to see these put through the jugs.

I am considering a 6.5 CM myself and the 129 ABLR for hunting with the 129g Interlock for plinking and feral animal culling are in the thinking.

Thanks.

This is very interesting... I just setup a 6.5x284 and have a load using the 142gn ABLR. I'm looking forward to using this gun for a few years.

bobnob":1jbg8nck said:
Good to see these put through the jugs.

I am considering a 6.5 CM myself and the 129 ABLR for hunting with the 129g Interlock for plinking and feral animal culling are in the thinking.

Thanks.

I can't see how you wouldn't like it Bob.

I just purchased a Christensen in the 6.5CM and using the 129 ABLR I have 6 diff loads with 3 powders ready for the range. For me this will be deer gun out to where I'm comfortable and paper and rocks beyond that.
When I run the numbers the 129 appears to beat the 142 due to the added velocity in the CM. In my 6.5x284 I still will use the heavier 6.5 bullets.

130RDF-38N140.jpg130RDF-37.5N1400.jpgI am currently working up load development also for the 129 ABLR for whitetails here in NW Louisiana. Yesterday at the range I was testing My 6.5 Axis with a 22" barrel. Seems like the 129 ABLR is very similar to the 130 RDF. Here is my results using the RDF and N140 in Peterson brass 100 yards. Hope the ABLR will shoot the same. Will load some up and speed test next week. Your Thoughts?

mike06":8a53mwn1 said:
View attachment 1I am currently working up load development also for the 129 ABLR for whitetails here in NW Louisiana. Yesterday at the range I was testing My 6.5 Axis with a 22" barrel. Seems like the 129 ABLR is very similar to the 130 RDF. Here is my results using the RDF and N140 in Peterson brass 100 yards. Hope the ABLR will shoot the same. Will load some up and speed test next week. Your Thoughts?

those are nice targets . I'm interested in seeing what you come up with . I've only shot the ABLR's in two different rifles , I did get pretty good results . I have not shot a RDF bullet yet . I'm tempted to give them a try in my 338 .

jimbires":3qv7m3ua said:
mike06":3qv7m3ua said:
View attachment 1I am currently working up load development also for the 129 ABLR for whitetails here in NW Louisiana. Yesterday at the range I was testing My 6.5 Axis with a 22" barrel. Seems like the 129 ABLR is very similar to the 130 RDF. Here is my results using the RDF and N140 in Peterson brass 100 yards. Hope the ABLR will shoot the same. Will load some up and speed test next week. Your Thoughts?

those are nice targets . I'm interested in seeing what you come up with . I've only shot the ABLR's in two different rifles , I did get pretty good results . I have not shot a RDF bullet yet . I'm tempted to give them a try in my 338 .

I use the RDF in almost all my target rifles. They like to jump. This rifle is my 2nd 6.5 creed. I have a Savage 110 desert tactical it is a bit too heavy for my kind of hunting in my area.

Scott,

Thank you for your efforts and posting the results. I am running the 129 gr ABLR in my wife's Kimber Hunter 6.5 Creedmoor. She has taken a few WT deer with it. First big doe ran 50-60 yards with a double lung shot and the other 5 have been DRT.

JD338

Just a quick trip to the range this morning. 38.0 gr N140 2.790 coal fps 2710 avg 3 shots.
37.5 N140 fps 2666. same as above. Think I am going to play with the seating depth a little and bump the power up a little a like 38.2 and 38.4 It was hot like 2 shots then the barrel cooler. BTW the bullet was the ABLR 129 6.5 . Just to tell you guys where I shot at for the last 25 years you all may know this place it's called Shoot Out Lane very lucky to live so close. Great people down to earth JM will help anybody that asks.

I have decided to go with 38.30 grains of VV N140 with CCI LR200 Primers in a Hornady Case.
Bullet is the 129 grain Nosler AccuBond Long Range with a BTOJ of 2.208 in my Savage Axis. FPS for a 3 shot average of 2665. Just to let all who reads this I want you to know I use no junk equipment.
FXi-120 scale also all bullets weight sorted to the 1/10th
I use Wilson Dies to Resize, Seat and Redding Neck Bushing Die and a Redding Body die when needed and I do anneal every firing. CED and MagnetoSpeed Chronographs. Hope this helps and Thanks to DrMike for the QuickLoad Data. This was 3 shots at 100 yards.

Attachments

• 20200928_094758.jpg
    20200928_094758.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,042
That target is a real confidence builder. Excellent riflery on your part.

FWIW - I use the 129 gr. Nosler ABLR in my 6.5 Grendel. It has proven to be my most accurate bullet and it‘s performance on deer in the little cartridge has been excellent. I use it in my CZ-527 6.5 Grendel and it really works in the little rifle and cartridge.

I have found better accuracy with the Norma Bondstrike in my 6.5 Creedmoor though I still have more work to do with the ABLR in the 6.5 Creedmoor. The Norma Bondstrike really did not take any load development - much easier to get an accurate load with it.

I'm trying too use this same bullet in my CZ 527 Grendel, glad to see how it performs.
I can get nearly 2500fps, but accuracy has eluded me.
Did you have similar issues?
I would appreciated any hints, tips, or load suggestions.

All the usual safety caveats apply - while the below load is safe in my rifle it may not be safe in yours - start below the charge listed and work up. I did also reference the Shooter’s World load manual out at that time to verify the powder charge. See load below. It just happened by happy accident to be the best grouping load I have shot in this rifle which I’m sure is more of a comment on my shooting than the rifle or load performance. This load chronographs 2600 fps out of my CZ.
*************************************************************************************************************************************************************
I am using new Starline brass, CCI 450 primers, 31.0 gr. Shooters World Match Rifle powder and 129 gr. Nosler ABLR with a cartridge OAL of 2.260” . I copied the load from an article in Oct/Nov ‘21 Handloader magazine by John Barsnes on the CZ-527 in 6.5 Grendel. I substituted the 129 gr. ABLR for the 129 gr. Hornady Interlock used in the article and took the COAL from Nosler’s on line load data. If you can get that Handloader magazine article I think you’d enjoy it.

I took 3 deer with that load last season - all one shot kills. The 129 gr. ABLR demonstrated great terminal performance in my 6.5 Grendel with quick kills and complete penetration on the two chest shots as well as shooting through the neck/spine on the third deer so no pictures on bullets to post.

Attachments

• IMG_1667.jpeg
    IMG_1667.jpeg
    47.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Shooters World Match Rifle.pdf
    288.4 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I’ve taken 2 more deer with the above load so far this season and it has continued to perform above my expectations. I really don’t think I will use another hunting load in this rifle - it just works. Anyway that’s all I have to report. No trophies - took two does for meat. They were both fat and tenderloins were tasty!

Back