.30 cal 165 gr Ballistic Tip & recovered bullet from bear

filmjunkie4ever":1fgxpq0d said:
Has anyone tried out the 168 grain Ballistic Tips?

Any reason to go with those versus the 165?

Dale

A little extra slickery'ness is about it. They are both good danged Bullets.

Having shot the 165gr BT for years out of two different 06 rifles with a load that avgs slightly over 2900fps, I used them on everything from Dahl Sheep to Bull Moose and never experenced any "explosive" results on game we shot with them? So I must be just under the velocity where folks start experencing that??? The 165 BT was our go to load for years for Deer & Caribou, 99% one shot kills! So I am guessing for stuff that weighes 200/400 lbs they are the ticket.

Here's a 165 BT 15 yards outta a 300 Bee around 3000fps. 93.8 for jacket and core 73.3 for jacket. Found in the 4th jug. Expansion .653" X .506"

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    245.3 KB · Views: 9,070
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    276.7 KB · Views: 9,070
Pretty impressive coming from a 300 Wby Jake. I bet a big Muley would hate one.

You always hear this rumor floating around that Nosler has changed the jacket and base numerous times over the years to get what we have today that most folks now like. But does anyone really know for sure what has actually been done? Anyone that worked at the factory ever leaked in solid intel on this subject?

One shot. 325 yards from sitting with no rest. Bear was quartering away. Rifle was a .30-06 Rem 700 CDL topped by an old 2-7x Redfield sighted in at 200 yards, with a 2900 fps muzzle velocity. Bullet went through a lot of bear. Core exited. I have a good sized chunk of bullet jacket. I'll weigh and measure it soon. Photos too. I'm so doggone impressed with this bullet! Accurate and lethal. I can ask for nothing more.

Regards, Guy

Congrats on the bear Guy

The 165 Ballistic Tip sounds like it did an excellent job!

That looks like another beautiful hide as well.

Very cool to see the 06 some field time.

A competent rifleman equipped with a 30-06 and a good bullet will prove deadly on game to surprisingly long distances, just as Guy has demonstrated.

.574" dia, 73 grains recovered from black bear at 325 yards, via .30-06 rifle:

It's not a bonded-core bullet, and it did indeed lose the core - I believe the core, and perhaps some bone fragments were responsible for the exit wound. The bullet killed very quickly.

Guy

Nothing to argue about there. That jacket is pretty danged heavy. Very impressive.

After seeing how well Joel's 06/165 AccuBond combo worked on crushing elk bones it made me a believer.

I'm going to be using the tried and true formula you and Fotis have come up with in my RAR in .308!
I believe that Nosler has strengthened their .30 cal ballistic tips.
I was wondering if you would use that load as well on bear?
Fotis says go for it, I'm sure.
I also have a Savage 99c in .308 I just might try that in as well.

HawkeyeSATX a.k.a. Bryce

The 45 gr of Varget and a good 165 gr bullet? Yes! I'd use that on bear. Accurate!!!

Guy

Guy Miner":3ibydigw said:
The 45 gr of Varget and a good 165 gr bullet? Yes! I'd use that on bear. Accurate!!!

Guy

Great!
I'm starting off using that to deer and hog hunt here. Hopefully I see coyotes as well.

HawkeyeSATX a.k.a. Bryce

The bullet recovered from the 140 yard shot on the mule deer looks good. I'll photograph it and weigh it later. No recovery from the pronghorn at 245 yards.

I have one more task for the .30-06 & 165 Ballistic Tip to go this year - hopefully I'll get a shot at an elk, in November or December during the late season. I've got a cow elk tag for an area only about 10 - 15 miles from my home. Am convinced the bullet is more than adequate for elk. Will be pretty cool if I can get all four big game animals with that same combo this year: bear, mule deer, pronghorn & elk!

Guy

I have no doubt that the 165 BT is adequate for elk. Wishing you every success on that hunt.

Can't wait to hear of your adventures in elk hunting now! Good luck, and I hope you get the biggest one possible!

Sent from my SM-G550T using Tapatalk

It's what I am using this deer season with my new .308 Crusader from GA Precision. Fireformed Lapua brass, 165 Ballistic Tips on top of 44.7 grains of Varget and BR 2 primer. Shoots .2 MOA three shot groups. Can't wait.

I have used 7mm 140 - 150 grain Ballistic Tips with a 7 Mag from 3100 to 3250 fps, flawless as well.

Bullet recovered from the 2016 Wyoming mule deer buck. Bullet entered the chest, and was found just under the skin, along the flank, just ahead of the rear leg.

Expanded diameter is .54" and the recovered weight is 106.5 grains. There is a little "goo" still stuck to the bullet. Maybe a couple of grains?

The lead core remained firmly in place.

I do like these .30 cal, 165 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip bullets.

Guy

Back