30-30 Win bullet test #2

chrome

Beginner
Jun 14, 2006
Working up loads for a Marlin 336BL

Its a Remington built Marlin. No issues, its well built and looks as good as any Marlin I've owned in the past. Only aggravation so far is the trigger pull. After the deer season is over I will break it down and polish the insides and see if it smooths out a bit.

Settled on several bullets to work up loads.

The Nosler 150 grain E-Tip is a very long bullet. Loaded with Hodgdon LVR I started 1.5 grains below the suggested starting load. Didn't chronograph but the load showed heavy cratered primers. Decided to hold off testing of the E-Tip.

It does not have a crimping groove.

Compared to other 150 grain bullets

Decided on the 150 grain Hornady. 2.2" groups at 100 yards 2410 FPS

Water jug impact at 2,200 fps

Very handsome rifle. You've done a great job in this presentation. Informative, for sure.

How did you separate the jacket that perfectly?

I really enjoy shooting a .30-30. Thanks for the great photos & test report.

Guy

The uncoated noslers did awesome in my gun.... with my 2-7 Burris ballistic Plex I was even ringing the gong at 300 at our shooting range....I just wish I'd have had someone there that day to show off too...lol!

Nice job with your Marlin. New bullets and powders have given and old classic new legs. Recently, I've been thinking a 30-30 would fit nicely into my gun collection. Thanks for sharing your results.

If I remember right 1.5 inches high at 100 had me dead on at 200 with the first Crossmark... the next cross marks responded perfectly to 250 and 300....
I even got a reduced velocity load check to see if I thought the bullet would expand at 300 yards.... I ran a bullet through a two and a half gallon jug of water and into a piece of plywood at a like velocity of 300 yards.... it busted out a nice one by 1.5 inch chunk of wood..... it looks to me like that fast tapering wide open hollow-point would do the job.

Kraky - ya - with 170 gr soft points I just put the top of the thick part of the vertical crosshair on a steel target I'd set up at 300 yards and was belting it just fine with my Glenwood (Marlin). Scope was a 2.5x Leupold compact.

Tons of fun, particularly watching the two fellows struggling at the bench with their big-scoped, bolt action rifles a few yards away while I was shooting the little lever action from sitting with no support... :grin:

Guy

I started out with the 30-30 and still take it with me from time to time. It has served me well in the southern woods. I have used about every 150gr - 170gr Winchester and Remington sells but I believe my favorite to be 170gr Core-Lokts. Every deer I've shot with these has passed through and left a good blood trail. "Something you need in the thick woods" In my 336 the 150gr loads were a bit more accurate bit often didn't pass through.
007_zpsnro5yjsi.jpg

These are 150gr Power Points with the one Silver Tip that slipped its core.
Don't try to get too many loads out of your brass with 30-30 brass being thin in the head area. Watch closely for partial head separations and I would save full power loads for new or once fired brass.
Billy

I'm going to have to look for some of those e-tips also! I didn't realize Nosler was making the e-tip for 30-30

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ya, I'm not sure it's needed, at .30-30 velocity. Regular old cup and core bullets perform very VERY well at .30-30 velocities, but Nosler makes premium bullets for the .30-30 too. E-Tip and a Partition.

Regards, Guy

I've got a bunch of 150gr and 170gr Hornadys stocked up for when I do start reloading for my 30-30. I've got tons of Remington, federal, and Winchester factory ammo stock piled that I'll shoot up first. My 336 is not picky with factory ammo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back