270 WSM Mountain Rifle ideas

ksubuck

Handloader
Jun 25, 2014
In lieu of signing up for a 12 step program for rifle addicts, I think I am going to just accept the addiction and keep buying rifles.

My next plan is a light weight rifle for mountain hunting. Looking to keep it around 7 pounds max. I have decided 270 WSM because I don't have anything chambered in .277. The thoughts of a super long range banger in a light weight package doesn't seem to add up so I think this is primarily a 400 yard gun with occasional longer shots. I will probably aim for using traditional cup and core bullets like the ballistic tip, AccuBond, or Partition and avoid the allure of the big 170 grain Berger etc.

My options?

Rem 700 SPS for a starter. Replace trigger and stock. Should come in a hair over 6 pounds before putting any glass on it. Looking at the Bell and Carlson ADL Alaskan TI for the replacement stock. Also considering a McMillian Edge filled stock. If the barrel doesn't shoot would plan on a quick rebarrel, but I have had very good luck making Rem 700 barrels shoot fine.

Or, a Kimber Montana coming in around 6 pounds before topping it with glass. My concern here is the reviews are all over the place on this rifle and I have no experience with one. I did handle a Kimber Hunter and a Kimber Ascent at the LGS and they were fine but not super impressive.

Or, build a total custom for lots more cash. Seems like overkill to me, but my gunsmith thinks this is the most fun option.

For glass, I am considering a Swaro z3 3-9 or Leupold vx3i 2.5-8 held on my lightweight Talleys.

I should have a rifle a couple of ounces over 7 pounds.

Any thoughts? Alternative ideas?

You could also get a Browning X-bolt in .270WSM. Stainless, duratouch stock, weight 6.5lbs... stick a VX3 2.5-8x in Talleys on top and you're under 7.5lbs and less than $1500.

I did exactly that (only in .270WIN) and it's a 3/4" gun with three brands of factory ammo!

I have 3 A-Bolts and have had good luck with them. My 325 WSM is a stainless stalker with Duratouch stock. It is gonna get stripped and refinished one of these days as it started peeling. Sprayed it with clearcoat this year and stabilized it for now.

I thought about the X-Bolt but just never took to it.

I like the idea of a mountain rifle, and the .270 WSM seems under-appreciated. Either it or the standard .270 Win are excellent for the purposes you propose.

You could simply purchase a .270 WSM Rem 700 CDL with the stainless-fluted barrel and top it with the simple & superb 6x Leupold...

Maybe have your gunsmith buddy pillar bed it, free-float the barrel and either adjust or replace the trigger.

I've been very happy with my .25-06 Rem 700 CDL, topped by a 6x Leupold for hunting in mountains. Hold on hair for 400 yard shots. Have considered having Leupold add additional aiming point marks for 400, 450, and 500 yards.

Regards, Guy

ksubuck

you ask for alternate ideas. the 270 weatherby gives you a little bit more of everything ( compared to the 270WSM ) and comes in at the weight your looking for

If you go with a custom barrel I would go with a faster twist than the standard 1 in 10 twist just to give you the option to use any .277 bullet made. I did just that with a 1 in 9 Benchmark in 270 Winchester. If you find a donor cheap enough it can end up being pretty reasonable in price.

yukon huntress":jo38qkyr said:
ksubuck

you ask for alternate ideas. the 270 weatherby gives you a little bit more of everything ( compared to the 270WSM ) and comes in at the weight your looking for

The .270 Wby, was Roy Weatherby's first I believe. It is terrific!

Guy

I will own a 700 CDL one of these days. I bet it will be a 30-06. But since I am leaning hard towards a synthetic stock, probably won't be for this project.

270 Bee is intriguing. Never owned a weatherby. I bet I will someday. I fell into a bunch of reloading components for the 270 WSM through a trade so I am fairly firm on the chambering.

I am kind of hoping to find a donor already chambered in 270 WSM that shoots good enough for a 400 yard rifle. But if not, the plan would definately be to rebarrel with a nice custom. But then the trip down the rabbit hole starts with the custom reamer, faster twist, and the drive to turn out a long range rifle for the 170 grain Berger. Already have that gun in spades.

From the angle of cost, I figure a SPS around 600.00, replacement stock at 300-450.00, Timney trigger at 150. Base cost close to that of just purchasing a Kimber Montana. Which would be the better deal? Which is more likely to be accurate enough with minimal tweaking? The X-Bolt is close, but I have a hard time looking at the modernized stock. I have never owned a Tikka and they just don't trip my trigger. Winchester extreme weather?

I have so much fun going through all of these mental gymnastics!

SOMETIMES, the rifles converted to the WSM cartridges don't function as smoothly as they should.

I'm no gunsmith, so I'm not sure of all the issues, but, I've seen this happen.

My own .300 WSM feeds great. It's a Win Model 70.

Guy

I have seen that happen to a friend. His gunsmith had a hard time getting the feed ramp and rails just right and the cartridge shoulder would hang up. This is kind of why I want to make sure I pick up a current WSM chambered rifle as the donor. Might as well get one in 270 hoping the factory chamber is good enough.

I have never had a feeding issue with my 325 WSM or my old 300 WSM that I sold. Both factory guns.

ksubuck":2rkbpcm8 said:
I will own a 700 CDL one of these days. I bet it will be a 30-06. But since I am leaning hard towards a synthetic stock, probably won't be for this project.

270 Bee is intriguing. Never owned a weatherby. I bet I will someday. I fell into a bunch of reloading components for the 270 WSM through a trade so I am fairly firm on the chambering.

I am kind of hoping to find a donor already chambered in 270 WSM that shoots good enough for a 400 yard rifle. But if not, the plan would definately be to rebarrel with a nice custom. But then the trip down the rabbit hole starts with the custom reamer, faster twist, and the drive to turn out a long range rifle for the 170 grain Berger. Already have that gun in spades.

From the angle of cost, I figure a SPS around 600.00, replacement stock at 300-450.00, Timney trigger at 150. Base cost close to that of just purchasing a Kimber Montana. Which would be the better deal? Which is more likely to be accurate enough with minimal tweaking? The X-Bolt is close, but I have a hard time looking at the modernized stock. I have never owned a Tikka and they just don't trip my trigger. Winchester extreme weather?

I have so much fun going through all of these mental gymnastics!

A friend has a 270 WSM in a model 70 Extreme weather and it is accurate but not very light so may not be exactly what you want. An X bolt or Tikka T 3 in a McMillan Edge would shoot very well and you would come in light enough. You could probably sell the stock of either pretty easy and have a stock you like.

I've seen a few, but not many, 270 wsm's on the used rack at my local cabela's. Being a somewhat uncommon round, they did not hold their value well I'd say. I saw some nice guns at very good prices. Might want to shop a few used gun racks too. You could end up with a gun with better finish for the same or less than a sps 700. Now that most deer seasons are over and Christmas is coming, those used gun racks are full. Good luck with your build, sounds like a good project.

The last rifle I'd seek would be a 700 in a WSM. It isn't a complete show stopper but I'd hate to be confined to a 2.8" Mag box with the 270 WSM. Winchesters boxes are 3.1"ish in length and allow a lot of adjustment.

Starting with what you want to do it'd be a Kimber the whole way. Most of the problems with Kimbers were very easy fixes and the current crop seems to be better yet. To me, the Kimber is a better mousetrap for a rifle in that weight class.

Long time user of the 270 WSM. It's one of my favorite. Not really picky, use a good bullet and speed comes easy. Mine a Model 70 and probably goes 8.25lbs as it sits but it's in a relatively heavy laminate.

Good luck and keep us updated on what you decide to do.

That is good information. I was wondering about mag length at one point. Found that the Kimber would be slightly over 3 inches while the Rem would be just short of 2.9. More length available would be better with factory barrels with long throats.

Tips me towards the Kimber or Winchester.

Anyone know how much throat each manufacturer puts I. Their chambers?

They are all SAMMI spec. They aren't throated for different lengths. You can get a couple different mag boxes and have them installed in a Remington. Wyatt makes one just short of 3" and Bainey makes one 3.110". You have to mill the mag box recess and shorten the bolt stop but it's not that big of a deal. I've done plenty of them. With the plethora of aftermarket parts for a Remington it would be hard not to go that route for me but I'm a Jewell trigger snob and they only make them for Remington's and Winchesters in bolt actions.

I'm in the process of doing another 300wsm, this time on a short action, with the Bainey box. With a Edge fill Game Scout I'm trying to get the finished weight down to 8 3/4lbs with a VX-6 3x18 scope. It's with a 26" #4 Bartlein barrel.

Have you considered a Tikka? I have a stainless synthetic in 270 WSM and it has been a wonderful rifle. It would be in the weight class you're looking for, but I don't know about the magazine length off hand.

Ron

My Winchester EW is not a light wt. mountain rifle @ a little over 8#. The magazine length is sufficient as my loaded length gives 1/4" groups at 100 yds with 130 and 140 gr. AB bullets. Also with some other brands of bullets. If you might fire this rifle, you would have no problem making a choice, just sayin'. With the 140AB and a heavy chg. of RL22 it is a -1/2 moa @ 300 yds., all day long. I have owned several accurate rifles in my lifetime, but not like this!

This post is in no way a matter of brag, just the facts as they are.

All the best,

Jim

Kodiak":2ma1rsky said:
My Winchester EW is not a light wt. mountain rifle @ a little over 8#. The magazine length is sufficient as my loaded length gives 1/4" groups at 100 yds with 130 and 140 gr. AB bullets. Also with some other brands of bullets. If you might fire this rifle, you would have no problem making a choice, just sayin'. With the 140AB and a heavy chg. of RL22 it is a -1/2 moa @ 300 yds., all day long. I have owned several accurate rifles in my lifetime, but not like this!

This post is in no way a matter of brag, just the facts as they are.

All the best,

Jim

That sounds about like mine Jim. It has shot everything really well

The Browning X-Bolt gets another nod here. Lightweight, nice balance and grippy synthetic stock, with most providing good to excellent accuracy with preferred factory ammo.

Magazines allow for longer coal's than short action model 700's.

Two other options are the Browning Titanium and Remington Titanium rifles, both discontinued models,if you can find a used one for a decent price. Bought my daughter a 700 Titanium in 270 Win that shoots submoa with factory ammo and a novice shooter. She really likes how it handles and shoots.

Most problems with the wsm's feeding is not the rails and the feed ramp, it is with the follower. If you look at current factory rifles in the wsm's, you will notice an extra divot milled into the follower to allow the short fat cartridges to feed properly. The first factory and custom rifles that had feeding issues did mot have this divot.

If you are intrigued by the 270 Wby, look at the Ultralight Accumark. Might be just what you are looking for.

I have owned and harvested game with the 270 Win, WSM and Wby in several different makes and models of rifles; I still own the Wby. While they all work well for game up to and including elk, the Wby is very impressive. On smaller deer, it may be too much of a good thing with 100 gr cup and core bullets, but with the130-140 gr bullets, it does a great job on the larger, tougher game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back