270 WSM Mountain Rifle ideas

+1 on the Finnlight. I used a 270WSM in a Sako for 10 years. Sold it and moved up to a 300WSM in a Finnlight. No "REAL" reason other then wanted a 300. The 270 put deer and elk down just fine.

hodgeman":37wvf2qe said:
You could also get a Browning X-bolt in .270WSM. Stainless, duratouch stock, weight 6.5lbs... stick a VX3 2.5-8x in Talleys on top and you're under 7.5lbs and less than $1500.

I did exactly that (only in .270WIN) and it's a 3/4" gun with three brands of factory ammo!

I love my X-Bolt 270 WSM stainless hunter. It's the rifle I reach for most often in the gun cabinet. The Tikka intrigues me as well. I'm sure you will be happy with either.

I'd consider a fixed 4x or 6x. Simplify and save a few ounces. Mine is a Ruger stainless synthetic w/ a 23" barrel and I run a fixed 6x scope.

I am down to the M70 Extreme Weather and the X-Bolt. They are both put together very well. I can't pick the Tikka or SPS up without planning on all of the modifications and upgrades I will make. The CDL is beautiful, but I would want to put it in a lightweight synthetic...

Think the M70 will win out. Top it with a Leupold 6x and come in easily under 8 pounds. I can always cut the extra weight in the pack, boots, and belly...

ksubuck":3edcu24p said:
Think the M70 will win out. Top it with a Leupold 6x and come in easily under 8 pounds. I can always cut the extra weight in the pack, boots, and belly...

Sounds like the perfect mountain rifle to me.

I bought a Tikka T3 light stainless synthetic in .308 back around 2007. I am a leftie and there were not many choices for a LH .308, especially in stainless synthetic. Having learned the benefits of hunting with a stainless gun with synthetic stock with my .300 Win. Mag. it was a requirement for a new woods rifle. So I bought the Tikka. It wears a Conquest 3X9.
After being my #1, goto rifle for all these years about the only change I would make is a different set of rings for a 270 WSM. So I'm just wondering what are the modifications and upgrades you would make to the Tikka, and why?

I just don't like the feel of the stock and would replace it fairly quickly. Otherwise just minor concerns. The position of the safety is a little odd for my fat thumb and I'm not sold on the magazine setup.

Saw more required mods for the SPS, including stock, trigger work or replacement trigger, mag box work...

The 270 WSM is a great round. I own the Winchester M70 Extreme Sporter. Its basically the same model as the Extreme Weather but the barrel and action is mat black. It was a special run for Sportsmans Warehouse, they aren't on Winchesters site.
Its a GREAT rifle. The Winchester M70s that are now made by FN are great rifles. The CRF actions are great and the trigger on mine is excellent. The featherweights and sporters are also very nice walnut stocked rifles. The Rem 700 CDL that was mentioned is another good choice but I love my M70 270WSM. I painted the B&C stock to resemble the GAP camo

Attachments

• WinM70-1.jpg
    WinM70-1.jpg
    881.4 KB · Views: 1,021
freestylmx":2sgro93l said:
The 270 WSM is a great round. I own the Winchester M70 Extreme Sporter. Its basically the same model as the Extreme Weather but the barrel and action is mat black. It was a special run for Sportsmans Warehouse, they aren't on Winchesters site.
Its a GREAT rifle. The Winchester M70s that are now made by FN are great rifles. The CRF actions are great and the trigger on mine is excellent. The featherweights and sporters are also very nice walnut stocked rifles. The Rem 700 CDL that was mentioned is another good choice but I love my M70 270WSM. I painted the B&C stock to resemble the GAP camo

That's a great looking rifle!

It is a great looking rifle. How much does that rig weigh? Will be ordering the Extreme Weather this week, I think.

ksubuck":2pwerdcq said:
It is a great looking rifle. How much does that rig weigh? Will be ordering the Extreme Weather this week, I think.

My best friends 300 goes just under 8.5lbs scoped and loaded. It's another EW as well. Very handy rifles.

It is settled. M70 Extreme Weather on order. Ordered a Leupold Vx-3i 3.5-10x40 with CDS that was on sale through Midway with lightweight Talley rings. Should all be in hand next week.

It will come in a little heavier than I had originally planned, but I haven't owned a M70 for 25 years. Looking forward to working with it and I expect it will live up to my expectations.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I found a Tikka T3 Lite stainless on sale for 549.00 and it was very tempting...

Got all of the pieces in place and started putting it all together tonight.

20170111_205407.jpg

Rifle passes the look test. Stock fits well to action, barrel is generously free floated. One faint scratch on the top of the barrel that runs about 3 inches... Total scoped weight is 7lbs 10oz. The rifle is very slightly barrel heavy due to the light stock. Shouldn't be a problem and am already used to it.

Talley rings are okay, but had a little misalignment issue between the front and back. Lapped the rings and the alignment was spot on. This is the first time I have tried them, hope they hold up.

Leupold vx-3i 3-10x40 with CDS. Seems okay. I wish the CDS turret had a little sharper or more positive clicks. I might have to order the custom turret once I have a load developed because I think dialing to a number on the dial will be easier than trying to count clicks. Don't really plan to stretch way out anyway, so should be able to hold on hair. Glass is good. I think I will like the windplex reticle, but again don't expect many shots beyond 400.

The variety of bullets I have all reach the lands easily with a max COAL of 2.900 on the 150gn Berger VLD. I can easily stay inside the mag box with everything. Looks like I could load out to 3.100 plus and still run through the mag.

Thanks for the input everyone had. I will let you know how it shoots.

What stock is that? My friend has his E.W. 270 WSM set up exactly the same as yours and is heavier than 7 lb 10 oz scoped. That is a good weight for a mountain gun, not too light or too heavy.

Indeed, a fine looking rifle. Qualify components should ensure that it will be a shooter for you.

It really looks like you put together a winner :wink:. I am looking forward to your range report with photos I hope (y).
Thank you for the photo she is a looker!

Blessings,
Dan

It is a Bell and Carlson stock. I think they changed it some compared to the older ones. The color is definately different.

The website says 6.75 pounds for short actions with 22 inch barrel, 7.0 pounds for WSMs with 24 inch barrel, and 7.25 pounds for long actions with 26 inch barrel. The bare rifle I got weighed 6 pounds 12 ounces. 4 ounces lighter that the winchester website says. Another website had these weighed at 6.75 pounds. It has a 24 inch barrel. The difference must be the stock? I sure won't complain unless the stock disintegrates quickly.

Back