.30 cal 165 gr Ballistic Tip & recovered bullet from bear

Ya Scotty, a real good year:

Bear at 325 yards
Antelope at 245 yards
Mule deer at 140 yards
Elk at 338 yards

I think I'm done for the season... Thanks to the .30-06 & 165 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip bullets.

If I find that bullet in the elk, I'll photograph & weigh it. Didn't find it yesterday.

Guy

Guy Miner":3h9xpy83 said:
Ya Scotty, a real good year:

Bear at 325 yards
Antelope at 245 yards
Mule deer at 140 yards
Elk at 338 yards

I think I'm done for the season... Thanks to the .30-06 & 165 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip bullets.

If I find that bullet in the elk, I'll photograph & weigh it. Didn't find it yesterday.

Guy

That's a great year Guy. Seems to be something with a 165 and 30-06 going on here :x :lol:

Congrats again, I hope you find the bullet in there. I'm sure it's in that front leg somewhere. Lot of meat to hide in.

A very good year, indeed! The 165 grain bullet is just about ideal for the 30-06, as you demonstrated this year. (y)

Guy, your 06 did you very well this past fall and that 165gr. BT seems to do the job more than adequately.
I would think you have a full deep freeze (y).

Blessings,
Dan

Great season Guy, looks like your still wackin & stacking em up! Great job. Your Varget loads sound interesting, but I think I am forever stuck with JOCs old favorite ( mine too)
Of 52grs of olde 4064 under a 165....... It's been working perfectly for over 35 years so can't switch now!

35 Whelen":2cwf035n said:
Great season Guy, looks like your still wackin & stacking em up! Great job. Your Varget loads sound interesting, but I think I am forever stuck with JOCs old favorite ( mine too)
Of 52grs of olde 4064 under a 165....... It's been working perfectly for over 35 years so can't switch now!

I think you're talking about TackDriver's .308 Winchester load with Varget. I use Varget almost exclusively in the .308, but have never tried it in the .30-06.

H4350 most of the time with me and the .30-06, particularly for the 165's. Been using that for a long time now, and before that it was IMR 4350 for a long time.

I think I'm done hunting with the .30-06 for now. It's done well.

Time to switch to the .25-06 and whack some coyotes! Still have a cougar tag in my wallet too...

Regards, Guy

Well heck. No bullet recovery from the cow elk.

I field-dressed and skinned her myself, nobody else. Couldn't find the bullet then. Might have come out with the lungs & heart?

Went through the on-side shoulder, tore up the lungs real bad, and I believed it went into the off-side shoulder. Quite a bit of bloodshot meat on the offside shoulder, but I couldn't find anything that looked like an exit wound. I asked the butcher to keep the bullet for me if he found it. He never found it either. So, who knows?

Either way, it did the trick it seems.

Have you gotten to have any of the elk yet?

SJB358":no1qhpth said:
Either way, it did the trick it seems.

Have you gotten to have any of the elk yet?

Cooking some backstrap steaks tonight! :)

Interesting comment by John Barsness, over on 24 Hour Campfire, where there's an ongoing discussion about the Ballistic Tip bullets for big game. He was in part, commenting on the 165 gr .30 cal Ballistic Tip recovered from my 2016 mule deer buck:

"Guy,

That recovered 165 .30 is typical of the expanded shape of the "super-heavy" jacketed Ballistics Tips. Their jackets are much thicker along the shank than most Ballistic Tips, surrounding only a relatively thin column of lead--the reason they retain more of the shank when expanded. The standard hunting BT's tend to open wider and "shorter."

Even when the super-heavy jacket BT's lose their cores, they normally retain around 60% of their weight, because there isn't much core to lose in the first place. Which is why they keep on penetrating even without any lead, unlike standard cup-and-coreds that lose their weight.

Have mentioned this before, but probably the deepest penetration I've seen with a super-heavy jacket BT was on a bull gemsbok, about the size of a typical mature cow elk. The bullet was the original super-heavy jacket BT, the 200-grain .338, and the bull stood quartering toward me at around 150-175 yards. The bullet clipped both the near shoulder and the bottom of the spine, ending up under the skin of the rump on the opposite side, retaining 59.4% of its original weight, despite losing the core."

The old 225 gr 35 cal Ballistic Tip was one of the heavy duty versions and pictures of the 180 gr 8 mm that I have seen show a very heavy jacket as well. I liked how the old 35 cal 225 gr worked from deer to moose.

Back