Norma Oryx .277 165 gr

gerry

Ammo Smith
Mar 1, 2007
Just came across this last night, a new 165 gr Oryx for people with one of the 270's. It looks too good not to try so am going to try to get some asap.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/93141 ... box-of-100

The picture in the link is of the 156 gr 6.5 mm Oryx which I am a fan of as well. I imagine it will look very similar to the 7mm 170 gr Oryx.

The whole reason I got a faster twist tube was to try the heavier .277 bullets although I'm sure this one will do just fine in a standard 1 in 10 twist.

Hmmmmm...... I hate when new bullets come out... Just can't control myself!

That might be something in a newly barreled 270 Weatherby... :twisted:

I can't imagine needing a bonded bullet that big unless hunting something really big at close range.
But, I sure DO understand how us Reloaders need to play with new things!
I'm still hoping to get to the range sometime soon with some 160 partitions in my 270 win and 270 weatherby... I have never played with that bullet before and picked some up from SPS on a good deal.

I bet you could get an easy 2800 fps or even more in the 270 Win, 3000 fps in a 270 WSM and 3100 fps in a 270 Wby with those. High sectional density and wide expansion is a great thing for big critters. Many of you know I'm a big fan of the 160 gr Partition but this new bullet sounds mighty interesting, like the Partition is has written all over it that they will be excellent elk, moose and bear bullets :)

Yes that should be a great killer on big animals. Been using 180g Oryxes in my 30-06 of late and they do the business!

Post your results please Gerry!

bobnob":3cwvvu82 said:
Yes that should be a great killer on big animals. Been using 180g Oryxes in my 30-06 of late and they do the business!

Post your results please Gerry!

It's a bit tough to get them here in Canada but not impossible, I will when it happens. Looks like they are to be in stock soon south of the border and someone there can give them a whirl........

I will try them from my WSM. If anything, just to see what they do in water jugs.

I don't think they ever made them by the looks of it and are marked as discontinued on the Midway page now unfortunately.

On the positive side I sent an email to Woodleigh asking for a 165 gr bullet and the owner Geoff McDonald (how nice is that he took the time to get back to me) said this:

"Thank’s for your suggestion. I always felt that the 180 gr was a bit heavy for most users, and for many barrel rifling twists. We will give your proposal serious consideration."

Seeing how attentive they are to suggestions it looks promising, you can bet if they do I'll be ordering them asap and reporting back here. Woodleigh is one premium bullet we can get here without much trouble on line.

I don't think they ever made them by the looks of it and are marked as discontinued on the Midway page now unfortunately.

On the positive side I sent an email to Woodleigh asking for a 165 gr bullet and the owner Geoff McDonald (how nice is that he took the time to get back to me) said this:

"Thank’s for your suggestion. I always felt that the 180 gr was a bit heavy for most users, and for many barrel rifling twists. We will give your proposal serious consideration."

Seeing how attentive they are to suggestions it looks promising, you can bet if they do I'll be ordering them asap and reporting back here. Woodleigh is one premium bullet we can get here without much trouble on line.

Back