Goose hunting, 1970's

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Old photo of Dad, hunting geese with his Browning 12 gauge. Mid 1970's I think.

Dad used the heck out of that shotgun from the 1970's through the 1990's, about thirty years of flawless service. He loves bird hunting, pretty much any kind of wing-shooting. Both waterfowl and upland game. As early as he started hunting, and as dedicated as he's been to it, I can only wonder how many thousands upon thousands of birds he's shot...

Geese, ducks, pheasant, dove, quail and pigeon mostly.

We grew up eating a lot of duck in our home, provided mostly by Dad, with me chipping in a little now and again. Pheasant though - that was the real treat!

Ran across the photo not long ago. Thought I'd share. He's younger in that photo than I am now!

Regards, Guy

I'll bet that old A5 is still as tight now as it was then. They don't make them like that one any more.

Cool pic of your Dad. Gotta love those old Brownings. A father of a friend in Highschool had one...OLD already 30 years ago. Good memories going along duck hunting with him. He taught me about appreciating a sunrise as we watched the honkers fly over head. I remember being impatient with him as he sat and smoked his pipe while that sun came up.....like his smoke signals were going to give our position away to the ducks..... :roll: :) My father-in-law is hunting turkey with one he got from his father-inlaw as I write this.

Dad had a model 12. That worked too... (y) The pic below is of Dad and I "in the pits" on the Missouri river on the occasion of my 16th birthday about 1978 or so. Im the short shivering grinning guy in the front. :)

On a later trip....He must have hit a few....

But there was a lot more bird hunting.... a good afternoon some years later. Dad and my uncle.

Geez we were lucky!!! :) CL

PS- yup- Dad was younger then than I am now... a strange feeling.

Great photos, both of you. Love looking at photos back in the day, before all the shows and crazy marketing made people think they couldn't be successful without $1000.00 worth of clothing on their backs. What I'd give to go back in time and hunt in those days.

It wasn't fancy clothes...it was every piece of clothes you owned, and could put on and still shoulder a shotgun.... :p Dang it was cold in those pits. :) CL

When I was a kid I'd hunt in the same coveralls I helped milk cows in. I'd be so cold I couldn't have ever drawn my bow if I needed to. Dad would chew me out for wanting to hunt in 20 below temps, but I was determined!!

Awesome pics guys... I grew up coveting my cousin's A5 in 16ga. I love those things and really ought to purchase one of the new versions.

Might even part with my Benelli to get one.

Back