New Rifle - 375 H&H

This conversation is inspiring me to start another thread, so as to not detract from this one about the nice new Weatherby!

Guy

I tried the 250 TTSX but was a bit disappointed. It didn't seem to achieve much more velocity than the 270 TSX which is a time tested and proven bullet. The 270's have a shorter nose which helps with total magazine length and are very accurate in my 375 Ruger.

I'll stick with the (older style) 270 TSX, at lest when I'm not shooting the 260 NPT or Accubonds. :>)

Have to admit that although I've fired a lot of different .375" bullets, I've only killed game with the 260 grain Nosler AccuBond - and it's proven to be one heck of a bullet! (y)

Guy

My brother had tremendous luck with the 260 AB. He was shooting it out of a 28" TC Encore. I can't remember what his velocity was but it was a hammer for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elkhunternm":164x2in9 said:
Guy,I have shot in competition (silhouette,big bore .30 cal and smaller and small bore .22LR) and there is stress,but it's not like you're going to get hurt if the target runs you over.

Honestly,weakness in any rifle should be found before using it in either hunting or competition.
Honestly anyone of the Big 5 can run over you in an instant, and it's not always the guns fault.

While working in Zimbabwe and Tanzania I witnessed and/or heard first hand when things go badly wrong in the field. Both by PH's and/or the hunters being hunted. I knew three Outfitters personally that had been attacked by Lions, a PH that had his head flattened by a Elephant, and Niki Atcheson who was run over in Dande North hunting with HHK Safari's on the other side of the river from me by a Buffalo she wounded.

At the time Niki, and I shared the same rifle build by Lon Paul. While her husband used a Custom Shop Winchester that somehow in the course of a charge couldn't get his shot off, or the PH for that matter in the instant of the charge. The unfortunate outcome was that the Buff ran right past the two of them, and the tracker only to run right for her and hammer her to the ground! Her 13th Cape Buffalo, and a very respected hunter! Her Binos/Bino-buddy protected her from being disemboweled. Only for the Buff to swing back around for the horn to catch her at the back of the knee and open her back leg up to buttocks! Not a pretty sight I would have imagined

I've seen a few grown men wet themselves from a charge by an Elephant or a Cape Buffalo. Most guns function fine if the person behind them doesn't lose their cool, and they've spent enough time with it for perfect muscle memory under battery.

Nothing wrong with upgrading a part out of spec, not up to par, or weak enough it could fail to function in the field. Cheap insurance vs. wondering why you have a bolt in your hand when you need it the most! :roll:

Cole - ya - we haven't even opened up a serious conversation about people who can, and cannot, deal well with scary situations...

It's a different ballgame when life is on the line.

Guy

Back