Springfield 03-a3 6.5-06

In addition to the stock that Dave gave me I got a much less racy Walnut one from GB that I stripped and refinished but when I saw this it looked "vintage" and nicely suited to a Springfield for some reason.

Thanks everybody for the compliments!

I am taking my nephew out for his first to Wyoming for a couple pronghorn does this fall and we're gonna shoot this rifle all summer in preparation and then gonna shed first blood with it!!!!

Thanks again all!

Here's to great success for you and your nephew when you look for those speed goats!

Thanks Mike!

My nephew has never been hunting and a lot of his "firsts" (camping, fishing) have been with me. My oldest son (14) and my hunting partner (who also is my partner teaching 5th & 6th grade Sunday School) both have buck tags, and it'll be my hunting pard's first western hunt. We're camping in the yard of a buddy of mine and cruising a ton of walk-in acreage over the opener. Gonna be a friggin hoot. I SO love helping people on their "firsts"!!!

Anyway, I decided that I couldn't bear trimming or neck turning so neither 270 nor 30-06 cases would do, and I have 100 Prvi Partisan 25-06 cases coming Friday. Put a proven Burris FFII 3-9x40mm on it the other night. Been looking at the quick load thread here and at Nosler's online resource for load data. Been a long time since I've shot!!!! Whew ha!!!

Thanks again all!

Leupold shipped a VX3 3.5-10mm 40mm Plex/CDS for this rifle; got a box of 130 VLDs & of Prvi Partisan 25-06 brass also. Gonna load and plan to shoot it next weekend!!!!!

It’s been a while here fellas but I wanted to give a report on this rifle.

Unfortunately the barrel I purchased wasn’t twisted as advertised (1-in-9”) so the 130 VLDs & 140 NBTs were keyholing. The 120 GMXs made what could better be described as patterns than groups.

The blemished 100 GR AMaxes I’d purchased for fireforming, however, did great so I got some 100 GR TTSXs & with a max load of IMR4955 I’m in the MONEY.

With that and a Black Hills buck tag I’m thinking some South Dakota whitetail is gonna get a 3400FPS kiss here in a couple of weeks!!!

I hope everyone is having a great fall!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, it's a shame that the barrel wasn't as advertised. Phooey.

But, am glad those 100 gr TTSX's work. (y)

Yeah I was more than a little irritated; after this season it’ll go to Shaw for a SS 1-in-8” tube & then I’ll mount a SS 6x42 MQ on it and be ready to rock way out there.

Was this a private sale or an install by a commercial firm? That is disappointing, without a doubt. However, it does sound as if you found a good work-around for the tube.

Purchased the tube as a short-chambered, contoured, & ready to install item on GB. People were liquidating a gunsmith’s estate. I have a 338 WM tube for a Springfield from that estate as well; pondering a .33 Noz w/ that?

Anyway seller said they’d measured and “best they could tell” it was 9” which ought to have been a clue.

$490 shipped & installed through Shaw and I’ll know what I’ve got and it won’t be a complicated 25-06!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad to hear its coming together Eric. Can't wait to see how it works out for you especially with a better barrel on it. Looks like it will work just fine for this year though.

David

Back